• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello you Beauties!

faffie

Thought i should introduce myself as joined up 2 weeks ago but first chance ive had to be able to say hi !!!

Had my gastric sleeve in march and am now looking for tips and advice and hopefuly get to know more through u guys about stuff that arises along my journey

Faffie xxx

Welcome both!
There are plenty of sleevers and sleevers to be on here, and all have their own take on how it is and how it's going. So jump in and ask all the questions you forgot to ask the Doc or the surgeon. :)

Hi Kirabear, Im have found it fine so far providing u really stick to what they tell u to eat and dont go off course, or u will suffer (through my own fault) like i did last night, ate something i shouldnt and had the most horrendous stomach pains in the night and was sick too.. not pleasant but taught me a lesson!
Good luck with the op, its an amazing thing! xx

Aww thanks to you both, oh yes I will be sticking to it 100%.....frightens me to be sick lol so will try my best.
Can I ask you both if you had the choice of the 3 procedures?
if so if u dont mind, why did you choose the sleeve?
Mandi xx

Hi faffie, I'm also a sleever, had mine end of November 2011, so five months out now. Lost 52lbs so far. Yes I could have (theoretically anyway)had any of the procedures, my surgeon does them all. But he agreed with my choice of the sleeve. My reasons were:

1. Bypass too drastic for me; my starting BMI was 37.8, I weighed 14 and a half stone pre op. I also really didn't want my intestines replumbed and have all the malabsorption problems and dumping associated with the bypass.

2. I wanted a procedure that didn't involve a lot of post op maintenance and faffing about with fills, defills and having read about some "bandits" problems, (too tight, too loose, band slippage, infection, port flipping and all) I am very pleased I chose the sleeve.

I had the choice of the band, sleeve and bypass

I didnt want the band as didnt like the thought of something left inside me and the fact it can become dislodged was a little scary
The bypass also didnt appeal to me due to the malnutrition side of things and the higher risk factor so the sleeve won hands down for me , i did alot of research and just found it more suited for me personally and im really happy with my decision xxx

I was asked which surgery I "thought" I wanted (band) and then we discussed eating habits and what my surgeon thought was a realistic amount of weight loss, and from that she suggested the sleeve. I wasn't too over optimistic I weighed 28 stone at the time and was happy to get down to 15. 8 months on from surgery and I'm at 19.5 so I well happy and making good progress. I do still occasionally eat a bit too much but you quickly know when you have!

Ruthiep Thanks and seems we have the same kind of views as to why we went for the sleeve,
im at the end of week 6 post op and have lost 25lbs since my op :)

Thanks to youo both for replying......
yes I have had the same reasons also....
My surgeon told me I could go away and choose, but I think I already had before I came out lol.
Like you Ruthie I didnt want the faffing of re-fills etc... and you Faffie the same about the malnutrition side....
Think we got the best of both worlds.....well when I have it done I will lol xxx

Brian well done...... its gives me such a boost when I see and hear ppl having positive outlook on the sleeve.
The first post I read on hear about the sleeve was a bad one, and I thought oh no do I really want to carry on reading lol....
You have all done brill....I cant wait now x

I was booked to have a band but have changed my mind and am going to ask for the sleeve. Can anyone tell me how long the pre op diet for sleeve is as I've heard it's longer than two weeks and am goin on holiday so am worried I might have to delay my date and don't want to ?

Hi Gaynor
Not sure as I am pre op, but im the same I go on holiday and im sure that I will have to wait till im back :(
I was told its 4 weeks liquid then 4 weeks purée afterwards so would rather be in UK doing that than abroad.
Good luck xxx

Every provider makes his own rules, some don't do a pre op at all. Most do two weeks; that's what I did. Oh, I could have done a very low calorie food pre op diet, rather than a slimfast one, but then it would have been for four weeks and I thought two weeks was more than enough; the pre op is probably the hardest part of it all.

Ahhh Ruthie , that shed a little light for me regarding the pre op diets.
So I gather plan 1 is for 2 weeks and plan 2 which contains food is for 4...
Think it will be the 2 week one for me as I dont think I could handle the 4 week one...seems such a long time lol xx

:welcome:

I'm on the waiting list to get a sleeve at Sunderland - hopefully soon?!?

Glad you're doing well x

Brian well done...... its gives me such a boost when I see and hear ppl having positive outlook on the sleeve.
The first post I read on hear about the sleeve was a bad one, and I thought oh no do I really want to carry on reading lol....
You have all done brill....I cant wait now x

Glad it helped :)
At the end of the day you can read and hear horror stories about almost anything and if we only looked at the bad reviews we'd never do anything!
You should still read the good with the bad as it will give you a more balanced view. Just remember that because something good or bad happens to one person doesn't mean it will happen to you.
I wish you well with your sleeve and hope your turn comes along soon (I sometimes think the wait was the worst bit)

I was booked to have a band but have changed my mind and am going to ask for the sleeve. Can anyone tell me how long the pre op diet for sleeve is as I've heard it's longer than two weeks and am goin on holiday so am worried I might have to delay my date and don't want to ?

I wasn't given a diet at all (some surgeons don't bother) I chose to do the milk diet myself 10 days before the op because I thought it would be good to get into the right frame of mind and 10 days was all the notice I had before my op date!
When I told the surgeon on the day of the op that I done the milk diet she just said who told you to do that then!
Doing one of the diet's wont do you any harm it can only help. if you feel you want to do one even if your surgeon tells you you don't need to then choose one that fits in with your daily routine and contains items that you like that way it won't feel too much like a chore.

Back