• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hello :-)

Sarah114

hello :)

I have been lurking here for about a month and after reading all your stories I thought it was time to introduce myself.

My name is Sarah and I am 38 years old. Have been overweight since I was 18. I am now desperate to get the gastric bypass. I have been on so many diets/pills etc and still dont seem to loose a lot of weight, infact put more on!!!

I have asked my doctor on numerous occasions to refer me and all I get is you dont need surgery a bit of willpower and exercise and you can do it.

I know that my area is hard to get funding for but I would like to see if I can at least get to see someone.

Im so pleased that I have found this site and there are so many other people like me.

Sarah
xxx

Hi Sarah

your most certainly not on your own. Welcome to the site & keep on at your G.P.

Good Luck x

Hi Sarah, hope all goes well for you. You know you can change doctors if you feel yours is not supportive. You just search on NHS direct for GPs in your area who are registering new patients and pop along and fill in a form. It is not necessary to say why you wish to change..maybe that will save some hassle for you.

Just wanted to say hi and welcome. Best of luck to you on your weight loss surgery journey. I would suggest you be forceful to your GP about a referral and as others said, if he won't agree find another GP. as long as you meet your local PCT funding criteria, it is your right to be put forward for the surgery.

Keep us updated about your progress.

Nic:)

Hi Sarah and congrats on getting out from behind that tree you been hiding behind x

I agree with the others, ask your gp again it is your right! If he doesn't agree with you then tell him you will be looking for a new doctor. Lets face it, now we have more choice of who our doctor can be the gp's need to give us what we want else we walk and the new gp gets the payments for having us :) xx

Hi Sarah :wavey:
Welcome to the site, and I wish you every sucess in you weight loss journey.
If you meet the funding criteria for your local area then, like others have sugested I would try going to see a different GP in your practice or changing to a different surgery in your area.
You need to make them realise why this is so important to you and why you are not able to do this through healthy eating and exercise - if you could you would have done that by now and not be looking into WLS!!
Good luck and let us know how you get on,
Xxx em xxX

Hey all :) Sorry i have not been around since my 1st post. I got very down after seeing my doctor. Well it obv didnt go as well as I had hoped. I dont meet the Hampshire criteria :( If I lived 2 miles up the road I would be in the Surrey criteria which is apparantly a lot easier than Hampshire. So the doctor put me on a diet, with monthly weigh in's. As you can guess I cancelled the 1st weigh in. I feel so down at the moment, my feet are swelling up, cant put shoes on so struggling to walk or do anything as they hurt o much :(

What is annoying is that I am very very overweight at 22 stone, yet someone who weighs a lot less than me and lives in a different area can get referred :( My BMI has to be 60 or over and mine is 53.

So, my question to all you lovely people is... can I change doctors which is in the Surrey catchement area?? and see if they will refer me? or do you still have to be in ur area if that makes sense?

Sarah
xxx

ps thank you for all ur nice messages xxxx

ohh and on the diet note the doctor told me I would be more proud of myself knowing that i did it on my own rather than having surgery and that he had every confidence in me :(

I am so sorry you haven't met the criteria. I didn't either despite having a bmi over 60. Our criteria was bmi>than 40 with severe sleep apneoa and or diabetes 2. I had to apply to the exceptional cases panel for funding. Mind you it took 13 months to get it approved. I was turned down twice and went to appeal then my gp sent a letter saying she was concerned about my general health as I had recently gone on to develop mild sleep apneoa and high blood pressure and she was concerned I would go on to develop diabetes. I also have a few mobility problems and I think the way she wrote the letter explaining how I was different to anyone else and the fact she was concerned swayed it. That is the only thing with the exceptional cases panel you have to prove you are the exception to anyone else in a similar position to you. Please keep fighting it is very draining but will so be worth it.

I guess you could always try somewhere in Surrey that's nearest. NHS website will have a list of surgeries taking on new patients and I guess find one you can get to and fill out the change of GP / registration form.
It might not come to anything but it's worth a try. Especially if you are not too far from the border.
I wish you luck, don't lose heart please xxxx

Good luck Sarah, i got lucky when my diabetes consultant changed the same time my GP retired, and the new consultant saw my history wrote to my GP about putting me forward for gastric surgery (i have type 2 diabetes, RA, a bad back from a car accident and am/was 26 stone plus) i had my first consultation at charing cross 6 months ago today and 2 visits later am in today for surgery tomorrow, its surprising different doctors have different views on Gastric surgery, my old GP just gave me pills and told me to diet and my weight went down then up then down then got put on insulin and went crazy, try a new doctor and good luck... i cant wait to be healthy again,
all the best eamonn

Welcome and the best of luck Sarah,its a fight worth fighting for! Dont give up.All the best xxx

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the site. I chose the GP at my surgery very carefully when I wanted to ask them to refer me. I ended up choosing a female GP who is about the same age as me (30) and who was a little overweight herself. We'd had various little chats about the ups and downs of dieting over the years so I knew she'd understand. She was really pleased to refer me and very supportive.

Hope you find the right GP soon :)

thanks guys for all your messages. So I have tried to change doctors surgery which is only 1.3 miles away but as its out of the catchment area of where I live so they wont accept me. Does anyone know when the catchment area is going to be ended? I remember hearing on the news that they were going to aboilish it within a year .. sure that was oct last year.

There is no way I am going to be able to get funding from hampshire pct :( unless ofc I put more weight on :(

Back