• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

help 12 days to go for bypass

Janeywanttoloosealot

help anyone 12 days to bypass and would like to know what the operation is like what to exspect? can anybody help. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi Janey

help anyone 12 days to bypass and would like to know what the operation is like what to exspect? can anybody help. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sorry cant help as i am behind you so look forward to hearing how you get on where are you having it done?? have you read any of the blogs they are really good and kind of give you a good run down of wht to expect....... good luck in 12 days yor gonna be a right looser!!!yeiiii

Hey Janey,

Firstly, deep breath, calm down :) The op will be a breeze for you, you get to sleep the whole way through it! When you come round you'll feel a bit uncomfortable around your tummy, but you'll be given as many painkillers as you need :D

For the first few hours you'll be very sleepy so that just whizzes by. After that, you'll still need to sleep a lot but they'll gradually get you doing more. Depending on the hospital, when you come round you might have a catheter, an oxygen mask, a blood pressure cuff which goes off every 10-15 minutes, leg tubes which inflate every few minutes, and in some places a drain. You'll also still have the drip line (canula) that they put in just before they put you to sleep. All you have to do is lie there and get better :)

Hope that helps, if you have any questions just shout,

Shel

I was in Walsall Manor and went in the day before my op I was woke at 6am the morning of my op Given an injection to prevent blood clots and given anti sickness pills. Had a shower and put my lovely gown on. Went for op at 9am woke up in recovery and back on ward for 1pm/2pm can not remember Slept most of the day. I had a catheter and a drip line also a oxigen mask. Tummy had some discomfort but had the machine with the painkillers. Ever hour or two the nurse came to do blood pressure and temps and also checked that you are weeing normal

Day 2 they got me out of bed and into a chair I found that really painful to get out of bed I went for a shower that day aswell.

Day 3 I saw the surgeon and she said she was pleased with me and that I could go on full fluids. Up and about today had the wee bag removered and the drip line so went on oral painkillers

Day 4 had a shower this morning saw the nurse who got me to walk up and down stairs saw the dietian. Went for a swollow test at 3pm and that was all ok I was discharged at 7pm and went home

Someone from the ward phoned me in the middle of the week to see how I was doing

Hope that helps

Hi hun. I joined this group around 15 days before my surgery & I found the stories of Shel, Mandy, & Thaialina really helpful in making me feel like the surgery was a snap. You'll be fine and it really is easy to recover from the surgery. Best of luck hun.

Nic:p

hi jwll, i went into hosp 8am, had op at 2pm and was back on the ward at 4pm..i had discomfort when i first woke up but this lasted virtually minutes was gone as soon as they gave me pain killers...i was very sleepy for the rest of the evening but comfy sleepy, was up and about the same evening going to the loo etc. next day i was on fluids and up and about walking up and down the hosp corrider...i was expecting to be discharged but mr ammori was behind on his surgery's in another hosp so did not get back to discharge me. however this was fine by me i just continued to rest...discharged the next day, came home and have been fine ever since...no sickness, no pain..just taking things nice and slow...please dont worry you will be absolutely fine and you are with good friends here xxx

hi jwll, i went into hosp 8am, had op at 2pm and was back on the ward at 4pm..i had discomfort when i first woke up but this lasted virtually minutes was gone as soon as they gave me pain killers...i was very sleepy for the rest of the evening but comfy sleepy, was up and about the same evening going to the loo etc. next day i was on fluids and up and about walking up and down the hosp corrider...i was expecting to be discharged but mr ammori was behind on his surgery's in another hosp so did not get back to discharge me. however this was fine by me i just continued to rest...discharged the next day, came home and have been fine ever since...no sickness, no pain..just taking things nice and slow...please dont worry you will be absolutely fine and you are with good friends here xxx

Thank you all so very much you have made me feel so much better. It is funny because you look forward to it so much and at the same time you dread it. I am a new member to this forum but i already feel so much at home. Good luck to you all and keep in touch.:gimi::bliss::thankyou:

Thank you all so very much you have made me feel so much better. It is funny because you look forward to it so much and at the same time you dread it. I am a new member to this forum but i already feel so much at home. Good luck to you all and keep in touch.:gimi::bliss::thankyou:

everyone feels the same and i agree with you this forum is fab cos we all have the same goals, fears and understanding of each other..you are in a good place and just keep on asking questions, i didxx

everyone feels the same and i agree with you this forum is fab cos we all have the same goals, fears and understanding of each other..you are in a good place and just keep on asking questions, i didxx

Could some one tell me how hard is it to slow your eating thing down only food nev er touches the sides with me. I know part of a bypass is that you need to chew your food properley. what happens if you don't. :17729::confused:

hiya hun, i struggled with the slowing down the eating. I have a 5 year old and most of the time i eat stood up whilst doing something else!!

I find that now, if i eat i need to sit down with a knife and fork and eat. Not on the move, don't have the tv, just eat and enjoy it. Soon you will have formed the habbit of eating slowly, but in the beginning you will need to concentrate and slowing down.

As for the op, I was taken to theatr at about 2pm on the saturday and was discharged about 4 pm on the sunday after keyhole surgery. I was in no pain but when i stood up straight i had a dragging feeling in my stomach area, it lasted a good couple of weeks but got better every day and was never painful, just uncomfortable. I did suffer from wind, but again just a discomfort.

Put it this way, four weeks to the day since surgery, i was sat planning my day at ice-skating, if you'd told me that before i went to hospital, i wouldn't have believed you x x x

Hi Janey,

It is difficult at first, it takes a little bit of getting used to. You need to take small bites, the size of a rubber on top of a pencil, and chew till liquid. If you don't, you will get wind trapped in your pouch, which hurts like hell. It feels like a knife going all the way through just under your breast bone. The easiest way to relieve it is to be sick, which post op is nothing like being sick pre-op. Otherwise, it will ease off after about 10-15 minutes of good quality burping!

Early on, a lot of bypassers mistake this for their pouch 'rejecting' a type of food.

You'll find that one or two episodes of this pain will be enough to get you eating slowly ;)

Could some one tell me how hard is it to slow your eating thing down only food nev er touches the sides with me. I know part of a bypass is that you need to chew your food properley. what happens if you don't. :17729::confused:

I am still struggling with the slowing down even when I chew loads when I naturally swollow the food just goes down lol. I also am struggling to no when I full I think (shall I have one more ) then I do and think oops perhaps I shouldnt have done But in 7 weeks I have only been sick 4 times and that was cause I was uncomfortable and had to make myself sick. Hope that makes sence

Back