• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help: diabetes medication

Ines4C

I have quite an urgent question. I am on diabetes medication, metformin to be exact. The nurse said I should talk to my GP to make sure they're happy to change my medication after the operation to something that's chewable or can be dissolved in water. I talked to my doctor, and she said the sachets would have to be mixed with 150 ml of water, and whether that wouldn't fill me too much. They said the liquid version is more expensive, and that I should just crush them. I tried it yesterday and its like trying to crush a stone! Were any of you on metformin, and if so, what did you change to straight after the operation? Just not sure whether to get a crusher for tablets and try again, or call them on Tuesday to get the sachets.

You can buy a pill crusher or a pill cutter in boots. That should make it easier. There should be no reason for you not to be able to swallow tablets. It's purely psychological. If you think you can't do it, you won't be able to. I took forceval from day 1 post op and they are twice the size of metformin.

That's good to know, then it's just a question of how much water to mix it with. It tastes horribly bitter.

What op are you having? I had a bypass and was told to stop taking my metformin after I had my op!

I am having a bypass too, but I was not told that, I was told to keep taking them in chewable or dissolvable form.

I am having a bypass too, but I was not told that, I was told to keep taking them in chewable or dissolvable form.

Make sure you follow your surgeons instructions & get your gp to prescribe what he's instructed! These will be easier to take initially but if I remember rightly I was ok taking tablets after about 3 weeks. Oh & my diabetes had stabilised by my 6 month check up so no need for any meds :) x

I think my GP was as clueless as I am, as to what to prescribe, and the nurse just said make sure they're happy to change the medication.

See if you can get one of the bariatric team to write to your GP, that normally pushes them in the right direction... lol :)

I will, but I think phonecalls are in order, as my operation is next Wednesday. They took ages to get back to me on the whole medication thing, so it's all very rushed.

Maybe your team could give u some to you whilst you're in hospital (plus discharge you with a short term supply) then detail it on your discharge papers so you can show your GP when you go to get your prescription, that's what my team did with my iron, calcium & lansaprazole medication
good luck for your op on weds! Where are you having it done? x

I'm having it done at Gloucester Royal Hospital. Thanks, I'm very excited. If for some reason I couldn't get them to do it until Wednesday, it wouldn't cancel the op because of that, would they?

Paula I asked my consultant about that and they said definately not under any circumstances should I take the metformin whole right after my op as it could get stuck and would be v dangerous.

Don't panic, I doubt that would be a reason to delay the op!
& if all else fails get 2 v large books to crush the pills... tee hee!!! X

They all differ so much I was given tablets to take in hospital my surgeon said there was no reason not to start straight away. I never had any issues with anything getting stuck. I wasn't taking metformin I was taking all sorts of other tablets though and was never offered anything as a replacement!!

While I have a pill crusher now, and that will work, but thanks for all your replies. I think the reason I have to have them crushed is because the metformin tablets are very, very big and chunky.

Back