• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help, food tastes/smell awful!!

Sarah Metcalf

I had my band fitted last Wed (5 days ago) and have developed a problem with most food. I'm allowed fluids: soups, soggy weetabix, porridge, yoghurts and icecream, however anything savoury taste and smells rank.

I'm trying so many tastes of soup just to bin them, even my own homemade favourites, I made corned beef hash yesterday (one of my all time favs), I was going to mush my portion but it stank while cooking and I tried one sip and binned it, all I could taste/smell was fat. I am basically living on weetabix/cereal/icecream/fruit juice.

I was wondering if this is normal and will it pass?

Hi Sarah

From what I remember my tastes did change, I suppose its not a bad thing if the thought of fat puts you off?

I hope you find something more interesting to enjoy soon though x

My OH who had a sleeve is the same, his diet consists of lollies and icecream, when i had my bypass i found everything too salty and sweet, you may find it is the aneascetic (sorry cant spell today!) which has changed your tastes buds. I would stick to stuff you can cope with and then gradually start adding things, remember this is YOUR journey and things will happen in their own time. Just enjoy wha you can tolerate at the moment and worry about savoury stuff a bit later on. Good luck xx

His was the 26th October but he has had complications also, he should be going back in tomorrow for another op if we can fight our way through the snow!! He is getting better and gradually trying new stuff, it will come eventually but it just takes time, have you tried something like cheesy potato really smooth and with extra milk, to make it a little runny or mash and gravy?

Back