• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can someone help me with some advice about food options pls

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all well the past 14 days i have been living off carbs alone and sometimes a protein shake.
The reason for this is that i am suffering with chronic sickness probs. I already suffer with sickness as i am on Opiate medications and have to take anti sickness but since the op which was now 6 weeks ago it has gradually got worse.
My team have now put me on daily anti sickness injections which start tomorrow and i will have to inject myself twice a day and i am hoping this will help, have been told it should work almost immediately.
The reason i have been on carbs alone is that they have no smell, so have been having mostly bread, toast or crackers or weetabix.
I have had a terrible stall from day 6 onwards it then broke for 2 days at 24 days and then have stalled ever since, my team think that although i am 5.7 stone down altogether and have shrunk now 4 sizes in 6 weeks, i may be eating muscle instead of fat as am struggling with any foods that are not bland.

I am not struggling with eating any particular food texture wise, their i am doing really well its just the sickness.
So from tomorrow i start the injections and i really want to make a big effort from Wednesday to limit the carbs to as small as poss and go for protein.

I really need some help as i want to stick to 450/550 cals and i have never been good with eating protein over the years so what i need is some lists of foods that are very low cal but high in protein that i can start to get at least 50grms a day but stick to my cals and not have to rely on shakes, as one shake is about 250 cals with ss milk.

Sorry for the long post but i am so struggling and i really want to succeed and to break this stall.
Take care and ty for taking the time to read my post xxx

Just had a thought Roch how about this I know potatoes are carbs but mash some potatoes with milk and add grated cheese. How about some poached eggs or scrambled eggs with grated cheese in them. None of these have much smell but contain protein. Hope they help.

Hi Roch

Poor you that sounds terrible - reminds me of morning sickness. I hope the injections work so you can get some more variety.

Cant really offer any advice being a bander but Im sure you will get plenty of ideas from fellow bypassers x

Hi Roch

if your struggling with textures, I'd stear away from eggs for now as they are a little difficult to get down early on unless your going to make an omlette / crustless quiche etc. Some easy to eat protein - prawns, tinned fish; tuna, mackerel, sardines etc. all very high in protein and soft textured. Eat things like turkey/chicken mince in light sauces, tomato, gravy. I have a hand blender with a chopping attachment. Once I had cooked the mince I gave it a bit of a blitz in that to make the mince smaller. Again turkey & chicken are high in protein and low in fat.
I've never used tinned veg, but my dietician recommended using tinned 1st before fresh as it's already soft, so you could try getting tins of mixed veg to add to any of the proteins.
Also beans/pulses, again very soft and good sources of protein & fibre.

I hope your injections work for you so you can start feeling better soon. Good luck x

Just had a thought Roch how about this I know potatoes are carbs but mash some potatoes with milk and add grated cheese. How about some poached eggs or scrambled eggs with grated cheese in them. None of these have much smell but contain protein. Hope they help.

Hi Sharon ty for ur suggestions hun but, cant abide any more mash and never eat eggs lol am such a fussy cow, good luck for tomorrow hun got it all crossed for ya girl xx

Hi Roch

Poor you that sounds terrible - reminds me of morning sickness. I hope the injections work so you can get some more variety.

Cant really offer any advice being a bander but Im sure you will get plenty of ideas from fellow bypassers x

Hi mazza ty for posting hun, yes its just like morning sickness and terrible, hope ur good xxx

Hi Roch

if your struggling with textures, I'd stear away from eggs for now as they are a little difficult to get down early on unless your going to make an omlette / crustless quiche etc. Some easy to eat protein - prawns, tinned fish; tuna, mackerel, sardines etc. all very high in protein and soft textured. Eat things like turkey/chicken mince in light sauces, tomato, gravy. I have a hand blender with a chopping attachment. Once I had cooked the mince I gave it a bit of a blitz in that to make the mince smaller. Again turkey & chicken are high in protein and low in fat.
I've never used tinned veg, but my dietician recommended using tinned 1st before fresh as it's already soft, so you could try getting tins of mixed veg to add to any of the proteins.
Also beans/pulses, again very soft and good sources of protein & fibre.

I hope your injections work for you so you can start feeling better soon. Good luck x

Hi Gail and ty for ur post, textures are not a prob for me in fact the opposite i can eat any hard foods, like tomatoes,grapes, pomegranate and apples so all hard stuff. My prob is i have never been good at eating protein and survived on carbs which i cant no longer do and now i have this prob with the sickness which has reverted me back to carbs.
I cant abide soft foods after the sloppy stage lol.
Ty for ur suggestions i really appreciate ur thoughts xxx

Hi Gail and ty for ur post, textures are not a prob for me in fact the opposite i can eat any hard foods, like tomatoes,grapes, pomegranate and apples so all hard stuff. My prob is i have never been good at eating protein and survived on carbs which i cant no longer do and now i have this prob with the sickness which has reverted me back to carbs.
I cant abide soft foods after the sloppy stage lol.
Ty for ur suggestions i really appreciate ur thoughts xxx

Sorry Roch,
mis read your 1st post as struggling instead of not struggling with textures!!

But the same food wise applies, chicken & turkey breast meat, I've cooked braising steak in the slow cooker. For something quick I use pre cooked beef & ham with a cheddar cheese slice rolled up in them. All forms of fish are fab high protein low cal foods and are also full of good fats that your body also needs.

I do think the calories your aiming for each day are too low. You will still be able to loose weight at a steady pace by increasing this to ensure you get the protein you need in each day

What about some crispy bacon, steamed mushrooms, plum tomatoes topped with cheese and put under the grill to melt, a bit like a pizza but without the base. You could also do the same with a cooked chicken breast instead of the bacon.

As for sticking to the calories you may well struggle with this as you will still need to eat to lose weight if you don't eat right you will go in to starvation mode and this will also affect your weight loss. Instead of counting caolries try and aim for a set amount of protein using the lowest fat options all the way. You will also need a small amount of carbs in your diet to aim for a healthy balanced siet and for your body to work normally. You could do thi sby having carbs at just one meal, for example have breakfast cereal but with natural low fat yoghurt or have a small spoonful of potatoes in their skins for lunch or with your main meal or half a jacket potato. Always eat your proetin part of your meal first followed by veg and lastly if you are still hungry the carbs on your plate. If you don't like the sound of this maybe have a couple of crackers as a snack with some soft cheese on this way you're getting protein and carbs.

Hope this helps

x x x

I know your sick of mash and don't like eggs but let me share a tip a chef shared with a friend and apparently its lush. I've not tried it myself yet but i am going too...

As your mashing your spud, crack an egg and mash it in! Sounds yuk but apparently it is superb....

I'll wait for you to tell me :)

Thanks for the post will be of great help to me soon i hope xx

I agree with the others that your cal intake is too low. And as for bland food - again I go with gail on the Turkey Mince - just make a mince and onion mix fried in spray oil and try that? Adding just salt and pepper?
Or cooked deli meats as someone else says.
HTH
Sal x

Hi Roch hun, I think maybe you're being a little harsh on yourself. You've lost 6lb this week which is almost a pound a day, so that's two stone in a month which is absolutely fantastic and way above target!!! :D

I completely agree with Tesmaralda that you're calorie intake is way to low to enable good weight loss. Getting as much protein as possible is more important than counting calories and with the limited amounts you can eat after bypass it would be very difficult to have too many calories anyway, especially if you dump on high fat/sugar foods ;)

Hmmm....trying to think of some things to help but the kind of things I'm eating at the mo (sloppies) are probably things you won't really like (scrambled egg, cottage cheese etc).

How about things like jacket potato with baked beans and cheese; mixed bean and tuna salad (really yummy! You can get the mixed salad beans in a tin from most supermarkets); or a nice cottage pie made with lean minced beef and topped with mashed carrot and swede and a bit of melted cheese (I had that the other day and was yummy!)

Hope they sound good to you x

Helloooo :D

Can't offer any advice on the food front Roch but wanted to say what a slinky minx you look in your avatar!!!! Very nice :D:D:D:D:D xxx Keep going girl!!

Morning all and ty to all of ya for all ur input and plenty of good advice which i will def be taking aboard.
Well my stall seems to of broken now and i hope it stays that way now and i have hit the 6 stone mark, only half of that in the last 7 weeks including 10 days pre op and the rest on my own along my referral route.
Am having my first anti sickness injection this morning and am told it should work almost immediately so am hoping to start with some protein rich warm foods today, as the prob has been with most warm/hot foods have a stronger smell than cold bland foods.

Will update u all later and ty again for all ur on going support xxx

Just leaving now so will let u know Sharon and good luck again for u girl xxx

GL roch and sharon! x

Hi Roch,
Well done on your weight loss. Brilliant. Sorry to hear you are struggling - I am too so you are not alone. I seem to be the opposite of you though, I can eat cottage cheese, eggs and fish but cant cope with carbs at all. Potatoes, baked beans, all come straight back up! My cal intake for the last 2 days has been less than 200 cals! However I have decided that I need to think 3 meals a day and to be positive. So I'm trying (or as hubby would say very trying!)
Well I dont have any advice I'm afraid- just to keep smiling. Fingers crossed your injuection works. Let us know.
xxxxxxxxxx

Back