• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help - Gastric Band on NHS consultation

vicki1983

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this so bare with me!
I was recently referred for a gastric band at Sunderland Hospital. I am looking for any information on timescales, what to expect at the consultation, likelyhood of being accepted and any other information that may help with the wait!

I am 26 years old, have a BMI of 41 and currently spend my life indoors as i cannot bare the thought of going outside, finding something to wear and feeling uncomfortable. I feel i am wasting my life and my marriage is suffering because of this.

If anyone has had the gastric band at Sunderland i would love to hear from you and find out what your experience was.....xxx

Welcome to Minis. I am not in your area but wanted to say hi.

hi vicki im in penshaw but i had my band done privately there are a few people on here who have had mr small at the sunderland royal, and they will b along soon to give u more info i think the time scale is about a year and a half but 2bands liz, or bypass sarah will know more or if you look under `procedure for sunderland `in the search engine or `sunderland support group` u will find lots of info there xxheather

Hi Vicki I live in County Durham as well. I attended the group session with Mr Small on 10th June. Lots of info was given about the different types of surgeries etc. The dietician weighed us and took our height and then sent to wait for a second consultation. I have just recieved mine for the 26th October with Mr Small. It is normally about a year from group session to surgery. There is a support group on this Thursday from 6-8 at Sunderland Royal where you can meet lots of others in the same boat. x

Wow, i didn't think it would be that long! Here's me being impatient about receiving the letter for the consultation, i guess i'm going to just have to learn to sit tight for a while!
Will you get the date for your op after your second consultation then do you think?
Are you having the band or the bypass? And do they suggest which is best for you or do you choose?
So many questions.....sorry! I am so curious about the whole procedure. :)x

Hi heather - thank you so much! Will do that now. I'm really excited just don't want to get my hopes up if it isn't going to happen. :(

lol I thought the same about it taking forever but to be hinest the time has flown by. I dont know if I will have to have a 3rd consultation or not as it depends I think on how much weight you have managed to loose. If you look for the ''procedure for Sunderland'' thread you can work it out from Lesley, Jayne and Lisa's info they have provided. I knw Lesley went on the list for surgery after her 2nd appointment because she did so well with her weight loss. I am looking for a bypass as I think this is best suited to me and my eating habits. I understand Mr Small will discuss options and advise on the best procedure for you.
Ask as many q's as you like if I can't help someone else will be able to. x

hi vicky ive already replyed on the sunderland thread and it would be great to meet you on thursday if you can make it, the waiting time from the 1st group apoint ment is approx 14 months to surgery. it would be great to see you on thursday if you can make it and feel free to bring your partner or a freind with you.

liz x

Great, thanks so much for all your help.
I would love to come on Thursday but my mam has just had a hysterectomy yesterday so i'll be struggling to get from Sunderland to Darlington (where she is) for visiting hours.
Do you do the meetings regularly? It would be really good to bring my husband along too as he is really worried about the whole thing, just keeps telling me he loves me the way i am and will i reconsider - I just have to keep letting him know that it's not going to happen and hundreds of people have these procedures every year so he shouldn't worry too much!

Thanks again for your help

hi vicky this months is on thursday the 22nd oct, novembers is 12th nov also at 6pm. you will be very welcome to bring your husband and he can also meet other partners of wls patients and put his mind at ease.

liz x

Ah Vicki your post upset me you are so young to be so upset about yourself. Anyway i am not in your area but i waited about 18 months for my band with frequent visits to see a consultant, i think they were testing me to see if i really wanted it! I had it fitted on 29th sept 09 and feel fine just started introducing soft food, i have lost 17lb and hope it carries on. it will happen just hold tight, i know what you mean about staying at home it feels safe there. lots of love
Jan x

Hi Viki, welcome to Minimins, don't worry if you can't make the NHS Support Group tomorrow, we also hold a mini meeting at the Metro Centre in between times which any one can join, whether they are on the NHS or Private route, just keep an eye on the Sunderland Proceedure thread, we normally let everyone know via there when we plan the next one.

I have found the support network to be a fantastic way of finding out information face to face, I have gained so much knowledge and confidence from both Liz and Sarah, as they have both been through it and you can see the results staring you in the face.

Yes the waiting list is a long slog but I feel that perhaps it is for the best as it gives you time to get your head around the enormity of the proceedure that you are electing to have, and for the family to accept your decision.

Hope to meet you at one of our "meetings"

Lesley

Back