• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

HELP how are everyone getting their 80grams protein per day

liggielass

sally ann
im really struggling to get my 80grams of protein per day i really cant stomach the protein drinks is any one out there having the same problem, im 5 weeks post op and at the soft food stage:confused:

Cheese triangles,babybels,tinned tuna,salmon,cottage cheese,wafer thin ham and turkey,sole/plaice steamed,eggs,beans,peanut butter,milk.

Seriously now if you can stomach it, check out the protein info on the back of a low fat fromage frais tub. Loaded with protein :) :)

A tin of tuna has about 25/27g and half a tub of Marks West Country cottage cheese with fromage frais has 10g.
I have been advised that tuna and cottage cheese are some of the best forms of protien and easily digested if eaten slowly!Later mashed in a baked spud with a few baked beans and you have a complete meal!

Hey have you heard of Unjury protein powder? They have an unflavored medical grade protein that can be added to oatmeal, smashed potatoes, soups. One scoop is 20 grams

I have to say I tried various different brands of protein powder and could not get on with any of them............yuck!

I add low fat cheese, bovril, beans, tuna, milk, egg to my meals to increase my protein intake, although not all at once obviously!

For drinks I have nas crusha and milk to add protein, many people have milky coffee.

For a snack I might have a low fat babybel or cheese triangle, or I might have a baby pot of petit filou (50g) as a treat, again they all add protein.

Hope this is useful

Julie

I am trying the holland & Barrett flavourless powder just had some in soup today and definitely no extra taste to the soup so may try adding it to sweet things as well. May be worth a try.

This has made me realise I'm not getting enough protein in. I'm still on the liquid stage and have put chicken/beef/bacon into the soups Ive made then liquidised them, but its not much. Other than that I'm having aprox 2 cups of milkytea/coffee per day plus milk on my cereal. I can increase this by adding yoghurts.

I was trying to avoid protein powders as I wanted to get my goodness from food. Maybe thats not going to be possible :sigh:. Oh dear need to re-think things now.

Maybe it's just me, but at 4/5 weeks out, I'm not worrying about getting in a certain amount of protein. I'm struggling to even eat more than 5/600 calories per day, and am concentrating more in finding healthy foods that I can eat comfortably without causing problems to my pouch.
Also, as I'm now suffering with an incredibly painful water infection, my main priority is to ensure I'm taking in enough liquid.
Exact amounts of protein etc is something I'll worry about once I'm back to a full diet after seeing my surgeon at the follow-up appointment.
So far, I haven't been given protein targets.

Mandy Don't worry we are still so new to this new post-op diet that as long as we are eating protein rich foods like yoghurts and milk etc we can build up the levels as we add more meats,fish and cheeses as we get more on the solid foods again. We will get there and if we are still fatigued easily thats our body telling us to up the intake I believe. No doubt if i've got the wrong end of the stick some of the more experienced post-oppers will correct me.

I was only getting in about 35g of protein per day so I've started using ProMax strawberry flavour protein powder (currently on sale at sainsburys). I stir it into a strawberry yoghurt and it's undetectable.

I'd rather get my protein from food though so will try a few of the ideas suggested in this thread.

Back