• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help in Leeds

Hi
Just wondered if anyone can help me. I ahve been to my GP today and he has referred me for gastric band surgery on the NHS. He referred me to the LGI in Leeds, general Gastroenterology team. I have tried looking on the LGI website and am worried I have been referred to the wrong place.
Does anyone know if this sounds right?

Thanks

Hi

That doesn't sound quite right to me. I'm in Leeds under Mr Dexter waiting for a date for a revision bypass.

There are 2 bariatric surgeons that I know of in Leeds Mr Dexter and Mr Pollard and they both work at Jimmys, there may be more, not sure who else might do the surgery.

I think your GP should have referred you to the Bariatric team rather then general gastro - they are more likely to deal with ulcers and things like that rather than WLS.

Maybe your GP is not really clued up on the best route to take.
I would definitely suggest you give him the names I've given you above and suggest he alters the referral and sends it to one of them.
Both surgeons do bypasses for certain, not the sure about banding but even if he addresses his referral just to the Bariatric surgery team if will be better than just gastroenterology.

Hope this helps

Lynda

Mr Dexter does both ops, Mr Pollard (my surgeon) does open bypass surgery, his prefered method, i can't complain cos he did a fantastic job on me, as didi said, ask your GP to refer you to either of these guys, and you won't go far wrong, bith are very able surgeons

hi im in leeds 9 and was refered by my Gp to the

Waight Managment Service
North West House
West Park Ring Road
Leeds
LS16 6QG
Tel 0113 3057653
Then had two meetings with diatitions and put forward for bypass with Mr Pollard at Spire leeds who have a support meeting one night a month for info ( any one interested in WLS can go people who have had opp and those wating for opp even just people wanting to know about opp even if you having opp elswere)

I was in LS 6 when i was referred. My GP first referred me to the wrong people and was soon told that she needed to refer me to the weight management service. Not all GP's are up to date with what to do in regards to this.
Personally, i would ask your GP to refer you straight to Mr Pollard or Dexter, or Prof McMahon.
Mr Pollard did my bypass at Jimmy's.

I saw a dietician twice, who then put my case to the board, i was accepted, then saw Mr Pollard, had my pre op assessment, then the op. Start to finish was 10 months with only a couple of delays and stuff ups.
I was first referred for the band, but considering my BMI was so high, i was recommended for the bypass.

Good luck.

I had a bypass at Jimmy's but had tests/appointments at the LGI. If in doubt ring the number on ur letter to make sure it deals with your surgery? :)

Thanks everyone.
I did try and ring the number on the referral letter to double check that Gastrointestinal deal with people needing bariatric surgery but the lady I spoke to said she does not know anything specific about departments as she just takes call and arranges appointments. The appointment could take up to 10 weeks so I don't really want to wait until then to find out it is not teh right team I have been referred to.

I have a GPs appointment this afternoon about something else and feel like I would like to ask about my referral but I feel like I can't push it, plus my appointment today is not with the same Dr. that referred me.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice about how I should ask if the referral went to the right team.
ta

I would ask why thay referd me to Gastroenterology team and if thy are the right team as you have done some reserch which says it should be Waight Managment Service and maybe doctor could refer you to the Waight Managment Service ...jeff

I would ask why thay referd me to Gastroenterology team and if thy are the right team as you have done some reserch which says it should be Waight Managment Service and maybe doctor could refer you to the Waight Managment Service ...jeff

Cheers Jeff,
I did this. I have been referred to Weight Management Service at Farsley. Do you mind me asking how long it was from you having your first appointment with the weight management service to seeing the surgeon? Was there a long lead to the surgeon appointment?
Ta

Hi
Just wondered if anyone can help me. I ahve been to my GP today and he has referred me for gastric band surgery on the NHS. He referred me to the LGI in Leeds, general Gastroenterology team. I have tried looking on the LGI website and am worried I have been referred to the wrong place.
Does anyone know if this sounds right?

Thanks

Hi Likealobster

May I ask if you have any upper or lower gastric problems...I ask because I wonder if he wants to refer you there first to check you would be suitable for surgery.

Not sure but it was just a thought.

Good luck though

(((hugs)))

Snowcrystal,
Thanks for your help.
I don't have any gastric problems though. I think it was a little bit of confusion on his part.
The GP I spoke to today seemed to be more comfortable with the process. I fell like I am starting to understand a bit now.
x

HI likealobster i was about 7 months after first meeting with waight managment team had 2 meetings with diatitions then went to see mr pollard (surgen) hope this helps ...jeff

Back