• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help needed ! Hunger hunger hunger:o(

Mgoody

I'm 2 weeks post band - I've managed the 2 week puree stage very well and can tell I've lost a reasonable amount if weight ( I'm not weighing myself as I don't want to become OCD about it- plus it's all about healing in the early days ) today I've progressed to "soft foods" and it's suddenly like - Woahhhh I've been hit by the hunger train all day - I've got another 4 weeks till my first fill and am worried that it's going to be 4 weeks of hell - any suggestions or advice ???

Michelle xxx

I know how you feel. i was exactly the same at your stage. I have no magic answer other than..keep reminding yourself that you have just had surgery to help you lose weight, so don't give in as soon as the hunger comes back.
The head hunger is sooo hard. If only surgery would sort that too.
Iam 4 months post op and I'm really struggling this week, I just want to eat eat EAT!!! But, that feeling is coming less often as time goes by.
You are dead sensible about weighing, good attitude!
Don't forget that you can eat inbetween meals if you are hungry. When I was newly banded I didn't eat enough and was hungry alot.
Eat when you are hungry and when it's head hunger, get away from the kitchen!
Karen xxx

Thanks Karen ! It's so hard isn't it ? I always said my band will be a tool to help me lose weight.... Even though I secretly wanted it to be a miracle cure !!!!!

First day back at work tomorrow which I know will be one of my greatest challenges as that is when I eat the most - I know I'm pinning my hopes on that first fill and feeling the restriction all of you talk about - just hope the next 4 weeks go quick !!!!

Michelle xxx

Hi Michelle, it's a frustrating stage and I know how you're feeling. My dietician advises that we snack mid morning/mid aft and evening, but to make it a healthy snack such as fruit/veg. I've also found that no matter how hungry I am it helps if I still use the same small plates and portion sizes, I tell myself that if I'm still hungry after I've eaten I can have some more, but I rarely need any. Hth xx

Hi

I felt hungry as soon as I came round from the op, if you are really hungry (ie its not head hunger) then have something even if its just a cup a soup to take the edge off.

How much can you eat in terms of tablespoons? I never quite managed the 5-6 at that stage! x

I am 3 weeks post-op and I feel this last week I have eaten so much!! :/ And my team said they cant look at a fill until 3-4months!!!!!! :eek: I dont think thats right!

Thanks Karen ! It's so hard isn't it ? I always said my band will be a tool to help me lose weight.... Even though I secretly wanted it to be a miracle cure !!!!!

First day back at work tomorrow which I know will be one of my greatest challenges as that is when I eat the most - I know I'm pinning my hopes on that first fill and feeling the restriction all of you talk about - just hope the next 4 weeks go quick !!!!

Michelle xxx
We all secretly hope it's going to be a miracle cure! After I gained a pound this week and felt I'd lost control, I thought perhaps I'll be one of those people who can't get on with the band and just keep putting on weight and then have to save to have a bypass! I felt really negative imaging my family talking behind my back about how I had a band and still stayed fat etc etc!
Anyhow....today I feel much better. I've just been food shopping and bought some different foods to try and I've had a stern word with myself. (went along the lines of "get a bloody grip woman"!).
I think when you get back to proper food you will discover that you do have some restriction. It's so important to eat textured foods that don't slip past the band. And chew like you've never chewed before! lol
My band felt a bit tight after my last fill, so the dietition said "eat pieces of food no bigger than a five pence piece and wait a minute after every bite untill you put another bit in!
A five pence piece!?! Yeah right! fifty pence for me!
Karen xx

Mazza said:
Hi

I felt hungry as soon as I came round from the op, if you are really hungry (ie its not head hunger) then have something even if its just a cup a soup to take the edge off.

How much can you eat in terms of tablespoons? I never quite managed the 5-6 at that stage! x

Hi - thanks . Well today I've had ;

B- 25g of cheerios with a splash of skimmed milk
Mid morning snack - soft banana
L - child's ready meal from asda - cottage pie
Mid pm snack - WW yoghurt
D - home made lamb broth ( chunky-ish)
Water - so far 750mls
Coffee x2
Exercise - ran ( I use the term loosely !) up 3 flights of stairs 3 times

Next week I'm onto a normal diet which my provider indicates should be 3 side plate sized meals with 2 snack in-between .

Xx

Miss hungry said:
We all secretly hope it's going to be a miracle cure! After I gained a pound this week and felt I'd lost control, I thought perhaps I'll be one of those people who can't get on with the band and just keep putting on weight and then have to save to have a bypass! I felt really negative imaging my family talking behind my back about how I had a band and still stayed fat etc etc!
Anyhow....today I feel much better. I've just been food shopping and bought some different foods to try and I've had a stern word with myself. (went along the lines of "get a bloody grip woman"!).
I think when you get back to proper food you will discover that you do have some restriction. It's so important to eat textured foods that don't slip past the band. And chew like you've never chewed before! lol
My band felt a bit tight after my last fill, so the dietition said "eat pieces of food no bigger than a five pence piece and wait a minute after every bite untill you put another bit in!
A five pence piece!?! Yeah right! fifty pence for me!
Karen xx

Thanks for the reply - I know it's very early days but you know what it's like when you're so excited !!! I've been exactly the same re family talking behind back etc I've told almost everyone at work in a bid to making me work with the band so much so that it can't fail as I would then be a laughing stock etc...... I think for the next 4 weeks I'm going to have to just do my upmost best to be good !!

5p ?????!!!! Good grief - I'm with you on the 50p for sure. ;0)

Xx

lclucy89 said:
I am 3 weeks post-op and I feel this last week I have eaten so much!! :/ And my team said they cant look at a fill until 3-4months!!!!!! :eek: I dont think thats right!

3-4 months ??? My goodness - have they said why it would be that long ? What sort of foods are you eating now ? My provider (Gravitas) has sausage weeks 1&2 pureed foods/sloppy soups etc week 3 soft foods then from week 4 normal diet

Xxx

Hi - thanks . Well today I've had ;

B- 25g of cheerios with a splash of skimmed milk
Mid morning snack - soft banana
L - child's ready meal from asda - cottage pie
Mid pm snack - WW yoghurt
D - home made lamb broth ( chunky-ish)
Water - so far 750mls
Coffee x2
Exercise - ran ( I use the term loosely !) up 3 flights of stairs 3 times

Next week I'm onto a normal diet which my provider indicates should be 3 side plate sized meals with 2 snack in-between .

Xx

That all sounds good. Hopefuly you will feel fuller for longer when you are on 'normal' food xxx

It is a really hard stage you are at, you recover from the op and the appetite comes back mega fast. Just keep going and I sometimes think we imagine we are eating a lot more than we actually are compared to before the op. Keep the faith it will work xx

Thanks for all your advice !!! This forum really is invaluable.

The week so far has actually been pretty good - but what I have noticed at night is after my evening meal of lamb broth ( frozen in 300g portions ... Thanks mum!!!!) I get this feeling in my chest, kinda in between my boobs like something's stuck- it's not mega horrible - more like I need to do a big burp but can defo feel something different to being pre band. What do you think it could be ?? Now I'm on week 3 of softy foods it's been going ok at work and so far I've not snacked on anything extra - I say so far ... It's only bloody Tuesday lol !! Managed to drown in 1.5 litres if water too - which is a plus - and I've turned into a bit of a geek as I now carry a diary in which I write everything down I eat and drink, how much exercise I do an how much water plus any unusual feelings or concerns - I've never been so organised in my life !

Michelle xxx

Ah thats your restriction - you are full!

Well done on being so organised, a girl after my own heart x

Mazza said:
Ah thats your restriction - you are full!

Well done on being so organised, a girl after my own heart x

I HAVE RESTRICTION ?????!!!!!! Woo hoo ! Didn't think I'd get any restriction until my first/second fill ? I'm well chuffed !

Xxx

Ha ha, yes! the feeling you describe is your new stomach feeling full. Take notice and you will avoid any nasty sick incidents.

Everyone is restricted from day one but at times it feels like we are eating lots. When people say they have none they mean they can eat more than they should BUT nowhere near as much as they could pre op.

The trick with fills is getting the balance right but this changes as your stomach and fat around it shrinks.

You will be fine x

Back