• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help on Nic Guide lines & PCT for Isle Of Wight

size102b

Hi I am going for Banding but the private funding is going to be by my partner....which is a struggle,Ive looked at all the NIC & PCT guidelines and am sadly confused
Can anyone help me?
It seems with my BMi of 42 I am ok for a referral but what do I say to my GP I went to 1 as we see anyone in the pratice and he just smirked and said I havent got a clue????
What should I go informed with?I know all about Banding and Bypasses,I just need to print off the right stuff to show my GP and know what Im talking about...

Does anyone know how to find the link to the isle of wight NIC & PCT guidelines as when I look it up via the links on here all they say is Isle Of Wight NIC Guidelines,then I dont know what to look for on the Guidelines lol Sorry?
Then PCT what do I look for there?
Sorry Thanks in Advance x:eek:

Hi - Here is an extract from the NICE guidlines:
Obesity surgery patient selection

Surgeons undertaking weight loss surgery understand the importance of selecting patients who are likely to benefit most from it. The following criteria have been set by the UK government health advisory body, the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE), to aid patient selection. It is unlikely that you will find a UK bariatric surgeon who is willing to perform an operation, even privately, on you if you don't meet these criteria:
  • BMI over 40 kg/m², or BMI over 35kg/m² and patient also has an obesity–related disease
  • Aged 18 or over (some centres set an upper age limit of 60)
  • The patient has tried other weight loss treatments without permanent success
  • There is no specific metabolic or psychological reason for the obesity
  • The patient has sufficient understanding of the procedure and the changes it will produce
  • The patient is strongly motivated to undergo the procedure and lifestyle changes it will entail
Other people have found that their GP doesnt really know what the criteria is or how to apply.

Here is the link to the BOSPA referral questionnaire, many surgeons will need this completed before considering you:
http://www.bospa.org/Documents/ReferralQuestionnaire.pdf

If you read up as much as you can then go back to your GP with all the info, hopefully you will get somewhere!

Maz x

Thanks Mazza,
Im still not holding my breath but will give it another go xx:D

Back