• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help Please

Hi everyone I am in the process of trying to get funding for a gastric bypass in the Warrington area. Am having a lot of difficulty at the moment. Can anyone who is in this area or a surrounding area give me some insight into how things went for you? Which doctor you saw, where you where reffered to and such. Thanks in advance x

Hi,

Not in Warrington, but not far away :)

It says on BOSPA that you have to have a BMI of over 50 to qualify.

Shel

Just to add, if you haven't already you might find it useful emailing Emma Bashall at Warrington PCT, on [email protected] or Jayne Russell [email protected] and asking them for more info on the referral process/criteria/consultant/hospital?

Oooooh, good to see you have posted, baba :)

Looks like Shel has come to the rescue - thanks, S!!! ;)

Email them and get some info asap - I really hope you get to do this, MK :hug99:

x

I wish you luck. Keep smiling.

I too am looking for funding. I have appointment with my GP on Friday to apply for my funding.

What a great idea Shel can I do this for Luton

will see if i can find the right people for Luton GC ;)

Hmmm Luton don't seem to shout about any weight services or co-ordinators, you could try emailing the PCT directly on [email protected] or going through PALS on (01582) 709134.

lol thanks Linda, it's good to be appreciated. I'm used to hunting out info for people with my job so it's habit!

MK... I hope you've been pounding that keyboard, missy!!! ;)

Snigger :giggle:

x

Update

Well I have emailed one of the contacts (thanks for that :) ) No response as of yet but only been a couple of days. This Emma person`s email addy doesnt work and I double checked it on the site so thats well organised isnt it lol.

The PCT (I have other names,,) have wrote back to my doctor wanting me to go through a healthy weight course half of which I did last year and got nothing from for 4 to 12 weeks. This is going to cause me trouble money wise which is annoying. Plus the whole thing of sitting there being told things I know and have tried is slightly pointless. The big worry I have is after I jump through this hoop for them there is no guarantee they won`t throw another obstacle in my way afterwards. Plus in the letter to my doctor they quoted the procedure as costing 25,000 pounds??? I thought it was up to 15 tops?

Hi Homer,

Putting you through a weight management style course is quite common. I had to do 12 months on mine ;) one of the reasons funding took me so long!

However, I would say that with hindsight it was worth it. I learnt alot (that at the time I thought I already knew) and managed to work through a lot of my issues and triggers with food. While I would have loved to have had the bypass 18 months earlier, I don't think I would have handled things afterwards as well as I have done.

It's not the same for everyone, of course, but sometimes doing this kind of thing as part of the funding app can be a useful tool.

Shel's right it does tend to be a routine thing they suggest, it was suggested to me for two years, however, both the consultant Dr New and the surgeon Mr Ammori both said 6 months is what they go off, if its not working in that time they tend to want the funding....hope this helps keep your chin up, there are many many hoops you have to go through and it gets tough but hang on in there, I am about 99.9% of the way and I am only now allowing little snippets of how my better life will be to filter in...xx

A Successful Wait

I am not in Warrington, either but I did have to go through a year and a half of "hoops" as everyone calls it. I am a student at Salford Uni, I started in early spring of 2007on this weight loss surgery quest. I knew long before that I wanted the surgery but I had a devil of a time getting my regular doctor to refer me. She put me on Acomplia (I promtly gained 5 lbs.) then she agreed to refer me to a dietican. It took months to get an appointment. Then I was told I had to spend 6 months there before I coud see the consultant for surgery. Finally, when I saw Dr. New at Hope Hospital, he said I was an ideal canidate, age 34 with a 44 BMI with diabetes, hypertension & PCOS. That was March 2008. I had lots of tests done, sleep apnea, cortisol, blood work. Then I had an appointment w/the surgeon Mr. B. Axisa at the end of May and he said I was good to go, just needed funding. I heard nothing for months, except I was refered for a psych eval. Then, when I was just starting to believe that I had been denied and never notified, I received a call to meet with the new surgeon, Dr. Ammori on the 15th October. I came to find out that Hope hospital had done only a few of the bypass surgeries over the summer and Mr. Axisa had stepped down doing them, as he was not very experienced. I now have my surgery date for the 30th of October with the most famous local surgeon!!! I am relieved that my surgery was not earlier because now I know my surgeon knows what he is doing. A funny thing is that I was never notified that my funding had been approved over the summer...
I hope that my story helps & wish you all the luck, I have a feeling you'll find that it was worth the wait when you are approved.

Although that post was not meant for me it has helped me greatly also thanks...xx

Aww, thanks! I really hope that people that are made to wait don't give up. It makes me wonder if that isn't the goal sometimes, making this into such a battle so that less people are likely to go after it.

Don't let them get you Homer or CharlieGirl.

PG XOXO

Checking up on Homer....

How's it going Homer? Made any head way? Let us know.

Back