• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help please?!!

newday

I all.
I am now only 5 days post bypass op. I am meant to have 3 protein shakes a day and three meals (being liquids). Unfortunately I'm not managing very well. I am sipping the drinks buts it's making me feel very uncomfortable. I have an urge to burp but can't. There has not been a day where I have been able to keep to the diet plan as yet. I feel very tired and obviously still sore from the op. Any ideas or suggestions? Many thanks. Xx

All you can do is try your best to get as much in you as you possibly can. I was the same way, I had loads of trouble post op with trying to get my daily amount in, it was such a struggle and when I forced myself I was sick.
The first month (well almost 2 months for me) is the worst. Some people are really lucky and don't struggle at all, or get sick. Your body right now is full of gas from the surgery, they pump loads in to inflate the stomach. Also you will be bruised and swollen. Just try and sip on something throughout the day and do your best, sometimes it's just not possible to get everything in. Don't worry, this awful time will pass :)
As for trying to burp, I find when I rub my chest and thump it a bit I can get the odd burp up. Much like winding a baby lol
I hope you feel better soon x

Fading Grace said:
All you can do is try your best to get as much in you as you possibly can. I was the same way, I had loads of trouble post op with trying to get my daily amount in, it was such a struggle and when I forced myself I was sick.
The first month (well almost 2 months for me) is the worst. Some people are really lucky and don't struggle at all, or get sick. Your body right now is full of gas from the surgery, they pump loads in to inflate the stomach. Also you will be bruised and swollen. Just try and sip on something throughout the day and do your best, sometimes it's just not possible to get everything in. Don't worry, this awful time will pass :)
As for trying to burp, I find when I rub my chest and thump it a bit I can get the odd burp up. Much like winding a baby lol
I hope you feel better soon x

Thanks for this. I was thinking something is seriously wrong. I'm taking your advice and will be sipping throughout the day. I'm went to GP today and we believe that on top of everything else I have developed a kidney infection. It doesn't help that I can't hold down any water so have not been able to flush the infection out. However, I will never forget the reasons for the op out weigh the discomfort I'm having now. They say drink peppermint tea for the wind. Hot drinks are not right for me yet. Any suggestions? Xxx

I was given peppermint water in hospital & from my GP. I have searched for it in chemists & on the Internet but can't seem to get it off prescription. I found it very good. There us pepper,int cordial available bu I can't find a sugar free one.

Oh dear, sorry to hear about your kidney infection. The fact that you can't drink lots of water to flush it out sucks :( Have you tried drinking warm water? Sometimes it's easier to drink than cold. If not try cranberry juice. I swear by this, I have been drinking loads since my op and I can now eat and feel so much better. Cranberry juice helps kill bacteria and cleans your bladder. I hope this helps you x

Yes my mum has serious kidney problems & swears by cranberry tablets. These are stronger than the juice alone.

Wow! Never thought of cranberry juice. Will get some tomorrow first thing. I'm trying my best to sip the water. Tried warm water but no joy. Do we ever get to a stage that we can just gulp a glass down???? Really want to try peppermint water got another appointment with GP on thursday so will try asking for it then. On a better note I did manage half a tiny cup of jelly. Things are looking up! :eek:). X

I was given peppermint water in hospital & from my GP. I have searched for it in chemists & on the Internet but can't seem to get it off prescription. I found it very good. There us pepper,int cordial available bu I can't find a sugar free one.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to make your own peppermint water?
I'm going to research this!

Evenstarr said:
I'm just wondering if it's possible to make your own peppermint water?
I'm going to research this!

Bless you! Please update us as soon as you find anything. Or.... I could stop being lazy and research too! LOL. Xxxx

The first weeks are very hard especially the first one. Take it easy drink what you can and sleep as much as you can.

That's a good point. Some say juice drink and those are the ones which are lethal with sugar but I usually dilute all fruit juices so I hope that helps. Thanks Yve. I will continue to do what I can. I think I'm just getting frustrated. X

I drink oceans cranberry light. I find water on it's own quite difficult to drink still and impossible in the early days. So I put one quarter cranberry light and 3 quarters water in a glass. It's full of anti oxidants (well so they say) and it helps me drink so much easier. This one won't help your kidney infection but I also use Ribena nas which helps get more water down for me too. Remember just lots of little sips throughout the day, keep a bottle with you at all times. It's totally normal to struggle but if you can't keep anything down that's a big problem but as long as you get something down it will keep improving everyday. I can drink 2 litres day now. Good luck :) x

Last edited:
Ok, so this is what I've found out,
Peppermint is an essential oil that can be ingested in small quantities, and apparently has lots of healing qualities, on the inside as well as the outside.

I'm going to try 2-3 drops of peppermint oil in a pint of water,
Putting the oil in first, then the water and shaking really well before drinking/sipping.

If anyone tries this I'd strongly advise checking that the peppermint essential oil you use is 'food grade' and is essential oil not the peppermint extract you can buy in supermarkets.

There are plenty of good suppliers of essential oils online, Check that your oil is certified organic, a good site to look at is NHR Organic oils, which has a good explanation as to why organic oils are much better for both yourself and the environment .

Hope this helps, I'm going to order some peppermint oil now!
Em xxxx

You could also try peppermint tea :)

My only problem with peppermint tea is that it's only nice (in my opinion) if you drink it while it's still warm.
Peppermint water would be nice to fill a bottle with to take out and about, and is also refreshing on a hot sunny day (whatever those are ;) ) its also lovely to use as a cooling wash especially on sunburn.

Ok. Gonna try ordering some peppermint oil tomorrow. Defo can't do warm or hot drinks yet. It seems to make my symptoms worse. Well done on the research! you're a star!!!!! X

Let me know what you think, and if it helps as its all stuff I'll need to know for my bypass next month.
Em xxxx

I take colpermin every day peppermint capsuals they are good
Also you can get peppermint cordial bit strange tasting but best way of all is after eights peppermint at its best no good for us but were nice
Sorry to go on

Crush some washed mint leaves in your hand (just to release some flavours) put in a glass with water and ice. Mint grows like a weed so you can keep it in s pot.

Back