• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help with soup ideas

Magsy

Hi
can any of you nice people give me some ideas on soup menu's. Never made soups so it is all new to me. Would really appreciate it. Know it may sound daft but i really am new to some making lol. x

I make all sorts of soups and they are all very different but all are easy. If it is a soup with mixed ingredients such as veg soup or scotch broth etc I generally start by sweating an onion or two in a little spray 1 cal oil or if I am making it for others as well as me I use a little veg or olive oil. Then I add the finely chopped veg I have chosen, carrots, potatoes, swede, courgettes, anything that takes your fancy really. I wouldn't use veg that go mushy easily such as cauli or brocolli. Pour on some veg stock or sprinkle veg stock over the veggies and then top up with hot water from a boiled kettle. Let it all simmer together, not forgetting to add salt and pepper to taste and a desert spoon of parsley if you like it.
When it is all tender I would normally blitz it for a while with my hand held blender, not until it is sloppy, but until it is to the consistancy I like. Still nice and chunky and so that you can see what veg is what. By blitzing it a bit you make a creamier soup rather than a watery one. I would then add some left over cooked chicken.
If I was making scotch broth I would do it the same but add some little bits of raw lamb into the pan when I was frying the onions, fry them up together and add some pearl barley when I added the veggies.
Mushroom, cream of chicken, cream of anything soups and french onion soups are made in a totally different way but if you follow the above guide for general soups you should be able to make all sorts.
Lynne x

How useful and very helpful , thanks Wizzbang. (I have actually printed this off to use later) :eek:

Perhaps there may be some other recipes that we can share. I have heard that you can mix some milk in to a sugar free jelly to make it like blamange - not sure if it works or not, but willing to give it a go. ;) Will let you know.

Thanks again. x

I find with soup - less is more. if you put too much flavour in, its not so nice. So I stick to veggies, stockand just 1 herb.

Boil a gammon shank about £2,when cooked remove fat and chop,set aside.Chop 1 onion,leek,carrot.Add to water ham cooked in.Add 2 chicken stock cubes and 4oz red lentils.Season with lots of black pepper.Cook for 30-45 mins then add gammon.Serve with some wholemeal crusty bread.Yum!

Boil a gammon shank about £2,when cooked remove fat and chop,set aside.Chop 1 onion,leek,carrot.Add to water ham cooked in.Add 2 chicken stock cubes and 4oz red lentils.Season with lots of black pepper.Cook for 30-45 mins then add gammon.Serve with some wholemeal crusty bread.Yum!
That sounds lovely maz, i've taken the recipe down. Where do you get your gammon shank from...The butchers or supermarket? i've not seen one, only those gammon joints and they are about a fiver x

Morrisons do them on the deli counter for about £2ish.Plenty of meat on it for a big pan of soup.You will love this one,its full of protien and tastes devine.I do some every week for saturday when people are in and out and can help themselves.
Another good one is Lamb Broth.
Get best neck or stewing lamb from butcher or supermarket.Throw in a large pan with two lamb stock cubes,chopped carrot,swede,onion,few potatoes and two handfuls of barley.Pepper to taste.
Cook long and slow.Great for the winter and very tasty.Im well known for my soups and taught my sons to make them!You can adjust as you get used to making them.Celery goes well too.Enjo.Maz x

We do this one already but also add some soaked mushy peas - Pea n ham soup. Yummy. We get our Ham shanks from the local farm shop - a lot bigger and a heck of a lot cheaper too.

I love lentils, split peas and all the legumes, pearl barley being my fave.
You can make a delish soup using dry soup mix from the supermarket or health food shop if you prefer to know where your groceries are sourced. You will find it where the dried lentils, split peas etc are. It is a mixture all in one packet. You soak it in cold water overnight (not all of it, it swells like billyo), then you cook it in stock for a good couple of hours, then add some fresh veg including onion, spring onion is fab, or just some pre cooked, chopped mutton or chicken or stewing steak. Lovely and wholesome. Ps, its not a good idea to blend this soup as the whole idea is to be able to taste and savour the different legumes. You will find also that using legumes sometimes thickens your soup in a nice way. They normally need a little bit more salt and pepper than just veggie soup does.
Lynne x

Trisha comes on "copy and paste", "copy and paste", AND PRINT !!!

Thank you all so much. I will just have to freeze it in pots I guess, as it is too much for one, if you feed your in and out family.

Neeta I never got on with the sugar free jelly and milk. I kept letting my jelly set to hard, each time I tried with more and more runny jelly, then decided it was just easier to drink a pint of milk LOL!

Heres one I make, Carrot and Butternut Squash soup
1 skinned and chopped butternut squash
2-3 biggish carrots peeled and chopped
1 onion peeled and chopped
pinch of salt and pepper
half a teaspoon of mild curry powder (not heaped)Vegetable stock cube
Water to cook it all in, this should make a largish pan full
bring to boil and turn down so just simmering bubbles slowly..
Then blend with a blender.. so its nice and runny but thick too.
Curry powder doesnt make it curry flavoured it just somehow gives it a spice and makes it taste nice.

I used to make butternut squash and sweet potato similar to yours with the carrots onions etc. No curry powder though.

Ive never tried it with sweet potato it sounds nice, I may just have to try that x

what other things could u eat, cause i cant really stomach soup, im having my op on 18th of sept, ill eat it if i have to but would rather not x

ummmm I actually loved soup before hand, as I said I am a lazy eater, so the less chewing the better. I am sure others will come with suggestions. It also depends on your providers guide lines. Some are on puree quicker than others. I have 2 weeks on liquids, some even have 4 weeks.

i guess if i ask in hosp they will say, iv made soup n it smells n sounds lovely but as soon as it touchs my lips it turns me lol (strange i kno) maybe smoothies would b good x

Back