• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help

blob

Hi wondering if anyone can help me I am thinking of paying privately for a band, I'm in Sussex - can anyone recommend anywhere, the cost and how long do you wait before getting operation? Also I have a LOT of weight to lose so would a band be ok? And how much weight comes off in a month.
Sorry for all the questions

Xx

What's best for you depends on your eating habits.

Regardless of mine, it was a band only as I'm ridiculously scared of the other surgery types.

I researched my chosen surgeon, then picked the most convenient hospital.

Aftercare was a big part of my decision. I can get in contact with my surgeon 24 hours a day, and due to a few problems that I've had, I've needed one out of hours contact, plus more than a few to his secretary.

Plus your budget. I believe that you get what you pay for, so that wasn't on my selection list as a consideration.

I've lost 23kg since June. Love my band.

Last edited:
I'm going for the band and have around 6-7 stone to lose, chose this option as it suits my eating habits, basically as its restrictive it will help decrease my large food portions and slow my eating down. I'm not really a junk food eater, just eat too much!!! The recovery time was also one of the factors, as I need to be back in work quickly. Your bariatric team will help you decide, they will assess all this with you, and advise you what is best. Look into what aftercare package they offer, mine covers 2 yrs but I also opted for extra 3 years cover, that's very important. I'm paying as well, and due to have mine in 2 weeks! Can't wait!!! Good luck to you x

Hi Blob :)

Waiting time depends on your surgeon's schedule. I think it will be a minimum of a couple of weeks as you need to do a pre-op diet for generally for 7-14 days to shrink your liver.

I booked my surgery for exactly 4 weeks after my consultation. My surgeon did have a couple of earlier dates but it didn't suit me due to work commitments.

Hope this help and good luck! x

I paid for a band privately, and from the time I had my 1st consultation to being 'banded' was 12 days! I was at Dolan Park with THG.

blob said:
Hi wondering if anyone can help me I am thinking of paying privately for a band, I'm in Sussex - can anyone recommend anywhere, the cost and how long do you wait before getting operation? Also I have a LOT of weight to lose so would a band be ok? And how much weight comes off in a month.
Sorry for all the questions

Xx

I'm also from Sussex (Eastbourne) I researched into different places! Spire Tunbridge wells does gastric bands, then Chichester does nhs and private - streamline but both more expensive! I went for The Hospital Group in Birmingham, they provide private transport at a cost! I paid £5199 inc transport!

Whether gastric band is the correct route for u depends on ur eating habits and ur surgeon! Go for a free consultation! The hospital group do them in London and post op care!

I am only one week post band and did the correct thing for me! :) good luck!

Thanks for info, just having a look at the hospital group says on there has clinic in sussex will give them a call in the morning xx

blob said:
Thanks for info, just having a look at the hospital group says on there has clinic in sussex will give them a call in the morning xx

Yeah says on there a Brighton clinic but it only does cosmetic stuff and not weight loss! Give them a call they do free consultations and I didn't feel pressurised to say yes or no! Good luck :)

I had my band fitted with Healthier Weight, I chose these over others because the surgeon I had had a zero % mortality rate, and as I have a huge fear of anaesthetic this was incredibly important to me. I also have a lot of weight to lose over 13 stone but the band was the only option for me. I had my surgery actually done in the Spire Hospital in Birmingham, although Healthier Weight have places in Cardiff, Manchester and London also.

My post op care package was important to me and I have 3 years warranty covering any mishaps or further work that may need doing (slippage, or problems etc) as well as 2 years after care and unlimited fills. They have been great, both before and after, I did look into the hospital group during the years I considered surgery but didn't like their contact or lack of "interest".

I had my consultation on the 10th July and I could have had my surgery 2 weeks later, however, I had it on Aug 23rd due to fitting in with time I had booked off during school holidays.

My surgery was £7,500 higher than a lot of people pay but that was also higher due to a higher BMI (which is not much more than the hospital group for the same increased BMIs, but my aftercare package offers a lot more.

I have a 24 hour contact, as well as having access to a private forum, and dieticians etc too. They really have been great, and as I live an hour away from the nearest clinic, they do a lot of phone check ins as I have stated that I do not wish to do regular travels unless its necessary or for my fills :)

Back