• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Some questions??

ditzeeblonde

Hi Guys have been lurking for a while.

Got a call from my GP today who had reffered my for funding & suggested St Georges in London for my surgery... has anyone been there & can give in fo on it pls?? I thought I might have been reffered to Chichester as I'm only in East Sussex.

I was diagnosed with diabetes on 31st Dec (happy new year!!:D) & have heard that bariatric surgery can help with controlling BG's has anyone had experience of this??

Also I have lost 22lbs in January low carbing & using metformin for the diabetes... I'm wondering if this could go against me? I'm still a hefer tho!!:D

Just lots of questions going thru my head as its all kinda happening now.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Linzi. xx

Hi Linzi

I am under St Georges Hospital and have found them very good and my journey so far has been smooth. My GP referred me there as it is the centre of excellence for South West London but they also take patients from other parts of the UK. You will have various appointments with the multi disciplinary team there, these include the dietician, psychiatrist, surgeon (both registrar and consultant). They may set you a weight loss target to achieve before they place you onto the waiting list. Once on the waiting list your operation should be scheduled for approximately 18-22 weeks from the date of your letter confirming placement onto the list.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Chrystal

Your weight loss will show your bariatric team your commitment to losing your weight. Good luck with your op, keep us posted :) x

Hiya Linzi and :welcome2: to the forum :). I also had my bypass at St Georges in fact i was there today for appt with dietician, anyway like Chrystal said there is a set path that you have to follow before you will be put on waiting list but i have found my journey from pre to post op with them very easy and pleasant.
I am a bit confused as to why your GP is sending you all the way to Tooting when you live near Chichester but i have seen a couple of posts on here that mention St Richards have closed their waiting list for now i'm guessing due to either funding limits or high demand for surgery in that area.
Anyway good luck with your journey hun and let us know how things go :D.

Got a call from my GP today who had reffered my for funding & suggested St Georges in London for my surgery... has anyone been there & can give in fo on it pls?? I thought I might have been reffered to Chichester as I'm only in East Sussex.

I was diagnosed with diabetes on 31st Dec (happy new year!!:D) & have heard that bariatric surgery can help with controlling BG's has anyone had experience of this??

Also I have lost 22lbs in January low carbing & using metformin for the diabetes... I'm wondering if this could go against me? I'm still a hefer tho!!:D

Linzi. xx

Hi, Good news on your referral.

I cant comment on St Georges as I had my bypass at Charing Cross three weeks ago. What I can tell you is that I was diagnosed with type 2 last June and that was the reason I chose surgery as I was told (and reserched) that diabetes goes into remission after a bypass.

Whilst it is early days for me I can tell you that on the day of discharge I was taken off my metformin. :) I have to monitor my levels every morning and if they go above 8 I go back on the metformin between now and my three month check up and then I will be off it for good. Thankfully so far I dont need to go back on metformin as my levels stay between 5 and 7. When I spoke to the drs at the hosptial before the op they all seemed very sure that as I was only diagnosed recently I had a very high chance of the diabetes going into remission. Hope this helps.

Good luck with your journey.

Linzi. xx

Hey Linzi, I have my bypass at St Georges too. They were very good, I have no complaints. I have my post-op checkup next Tuesday and my dieticians appointment too.

I was also worried that I might loose too much weight and get knocked off the surgery list as I was going biggest loser stylee in the gym. I was reassured by the team that even if I lost ALL my excess weight, they would still do the surgery as it would prevent me from gaining it all back. I was not fully reassured by this though and so did not diet as well as exercise, so only lost 1.5 stone. My BMI was still above 40 (just) so I wonder if it was a psychological thing and I just couldn't (in the back of my mind) trust that they would still do it. I still didn't really believe that they would go ahead even when I went down for surgery. It was only when I woke up in pain that I realised they had done it and I could relax!

Hope it all goes well for you and you get the surgery you need.

Sam
x

Thanks guys for all your advice... its all very exciting, trying not to think about it too much, still need to get funding etc etc but it does feel like I'm on my way now!!

Just keep dreaming about being slim & enjoying clothes again plus all the other benefits that come from being a healthy weight!!

Back