• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help

Susie-Sue

Hello,
I've been trying to pluck up courage to take the massive step of having a gastric band fitted. I have been dieting since the age of 15 and have tried every single diet,fad or programme. Each one has resulted in losing some weight but never maintaining the loss.

For the last 3 years I have been at Slimming World on and off but I've found that even by sticking to the programme the weight loss is very,very slow or non existent which results in me giving up.

I will be 60 next year and just think enough is enough! I know my doctor won't refer me through the NHS so I've accepted I will need to go private, I just don't know where to start. I live in Carlisle so would need to travel to either Newcastle or Glasgow. Any advice or recommendations gratefully received. Thank you, Sue

I just wanted to say hi and welcome, I too went private I was aged 50 when I had my op, I had the bypass, why have you chosen the band?
I think the best thing to do is lots of research, also go for free consultations to get as much advice as possible x

Hello newbie
good luck with everything

Thank you for replying so quickly. I have gone for the band as I feel it's less of a serious operation. I have a real hang up about going for surgery when there isn't anything really wrong with me apart from an issue with food....I hope that makes sense. I'm also terrified of complications. The more I research, the more confused I seem to get

Yes it can be a bit of a minefield, have a look online see what providers are close to you then go for a consultation, as different eating habits respond better to different surgeries, the surgeon will talk you through all the different choices :) Best thing I ever did I've gone from a size 26 to a size 8-10 :)

Wow that's a fantastic achievement, you must be so proud. Did you ever have any complications and have you been left with lots of loose skin? I hope you don't mind me asking but you hear so many horror stories x

Back