• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Oldie but Newbie

Contact your PCT and ask what referral criteria they use. Then when you get to your appointment at the new support providers you can assess with them the steps you both need to take to get surgery approved. Be clear about your expectations from the start.

Good luck.

Contact your PCT and ask what referral criteria they use. Then when you get to your appointment at the new support providers you can assess with them the steps you both need to take to get surgery approved. Be clear about your expectations from the start.

Good luck.
Thank you Rose2016 I will,I didn't even think of actually ringing the pct I just Googled it like I do everything else lol. I'm terrible at planning things I want to say and then I get to the point where I forget all I wanted to ask.I must write a list
Thank you so much xxx

Well I have met the lady from the family wellbeing platform she's lovely but i fear that there is no hope for surgery as they are a tier 2-3 provider,she says there is still tier 4 (surgery) but ive now got 2 weeks diet sheets to fill in !!!???? Ive done this already for so long and im feeling really disheartened by it all,ive had blood tests to see if im diabetic etc.havent phoned for the results yet but i guess if i was the doc would have phoned me.i just see no other option than surgery but dont fancy getting fatter to achieve this(good god I sound really selfish) bmi is 46 i think pct require 50+!!!!

When my doctor suggested WLS he referred me to Live Well Suffolk, this is known as Tier 2, it's free and run by the council. This programme is to see if you are able to lose weight by sticking to the regime they suggest. I did this, lost 1.5 stones, I was then referred for funding to start the Tier 3 at Addenbrookes in Cambridge. Tier three for me was 6 months as my BMI was 63 and some co-morbidities. For anyone with a BMI under 50 it's twelve months.

For me Tier 3 programme was 8 weeks on the milk diet, the next 8 weeks on milk and food their menus, then 8 weeks on food only, over this period I lost another 5 stone. This was to show them I was committed to losing the weight, keeping it off for me has always been the problem, so I was hoping the op. would give me the help I needed.

Once that part was finished I was then referred for funding again to go to Tier 4, which was at a hospital of my choice, I chose Luton and Dunstable. From finishing Tier 3 to the operation was another 6 months. Altogether my process took 3 years. But I think this helped me mentally to accept the process, I feel that self funders who have not been through WLS programmes have more chance of failing. Luton and Dunstable will not even consider the band now as too many fail with this WLS method.

I had a bypass April 2015, altogether I have lost 11.5 stones and want to lose another 5, it's happening very slowly now but at least it is going in the right direction.

I don't know if the procedure has changed since mine, but please do not think it will happen overnight, be patient, the mental training is the most important part.

Good luck and stick with it, I got really down thinking it would never happen, but it did, and I am so grateful for my doctor suggesting it, I could not walk before always using a mobility scooter, but now I can, not far I must admit, but I feel I am getting my life back.

Last edited:
Well done to you thats fantastic,I have had a gastric band for 8 yrs self funded that has failed.I am fully prepared for the physical and mental preparation for surgery but the pct where I live is so small that i really dont think at the end of tier 3 I will get surgery,they have already reported a cut in funding and they only funded 5 surgeries last year.my bmi is 46 which nice guidelines say is the lower limit for surgery with no comorbidities but my pct (isle of wight) say the lower limit is 50,no one will actually say to me I have no chance of surgery but ive got an awful feeling thats what will happen . I feel so lost, my kids are suffering as i cant be as active with them as i want to be,although my hubby is great with them he works full time so it is difficult.

Back