• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Herbal supplements and surgery

Denise Morris

This has been posted as part of another thread (green tea) but thought as a pre-assessment nurse I would re-post this as its quite important to consider pre-op.

Herbal supplements can be very beneficial but some can cause problems post op or when they interact with anaesthetic-

Kava
St Johns wort
Valerian root

increased bleeding risk -
  • Gingko biloba
  • Garlic
  • Ginseng
  • Fish oil
  • Dong quai
  • Feverfew
increased cardiovascular risk

Garlic
Ephedra

Herbal supplements: How they can interfere with surgery

Surgery Patients Unaware of Herbal Risk - Medications: Prescription Drugs and Over the Counter Drugs on MedicineNet.com

Herbs, Surgery & Anesthesia: What Patients MUST Know About Herbal Supplements & Surgery

these are just a few sites I found some info on but there are more sites and supplements (Google - surgery and herbal supplements)

As long as you are pre-assessed 10-14 days pre op (or at least get assessment date) and tell pre-assessment nurse what you take and they can advise, usually stop 10-14 days pre op.

Hi Denise how does it work with normal multivitamins and skin hair and nail tablets? my op is on 18h April. Do I Carry on taking them ? Or at some point do I have to take a liquid form ? Bit confused about what meds to take. Thanks xx

Standard multivitamins are fine pre op and you need them post op for your surgery, however if you are taking different combinations just check that individual vitamins are not duplicated which could lead to inadvertently exceeding recommended daily amounts (RDA on container).
Might even be worth considering a combined multi-vitamin and mineral supplement.

Thanks Denise for posting that info. I for one had never thought about that and I imagine loads of the other members haven't either.
Lynne x

Thats great Denise I shall check the tubs when I get home much appreciated xx

:)Thanks Denise:)
I think we forget that some of these "herbal" supplements are quite powerful-
-many years ago I had dreadful side effects from taking gingko biloba

Back