• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hernia

sunny69

if i had a hernia would it be repaired during surgery? just that i've heard a few people say the the Dr found and repaired a hernia during the op.

it depends on a few things...
The surgeon may do it if trained to do so.
If there are no complications.
Where the hernia is.
How big the hernia is.

I have a hernia and they said they would try... but after surgery they were unable to as its very large and this caused my op to be 3 and half hours long instead of an hour xx
So only person who can answer that is your surgeon xx

I had an incisional hernia from my hysterectomy,My surgeon agreed to do it with my bypass and applyied for the extra funding.It was big and had two meshes put in.I have to say its one of the best things Ive had done!My tum feels like new!

I had a Hiatus Hernia which they found when doing the endoscopy and had it repaired same time as my bypass x

Ive got an umbilical hernia only small but was refused surgery on it because of my weight which im quite thankfull for as thats what pushed my gp to refer me for wls. Im hoping mine can be repaired while im having surgery.

I just had my sleeve done last week & when I came up the surgeon told me that they found an umbilical hernia there too & repaired it! I didn't even know I had it. So yes to your question but it may be dependant on the hospital/PCT policy & funding systems.
I would suggest that you ask your surgeon/ GP.

Mr Super did my op privately and he said he would repair a hernia if he found it when giving me the band. true to his word, he did it, no extra charge ... and i feel fab. i now can eat fruit and drink wine - which i could never really do before because of the pain of the acid. Like big and bouncy - my stomach feels like new

I have an umbilicial hernia and I have been told by my surgeon that he definitely WON'T be doing it at the same time as the sleeve op ..... he advised me to return a year after the sleeve once I have lost a "significant" amount of weight.

So every surgeon is different.

flutterby1966 said:
Mr Super did my op privately and he said he would repair a hernia if he found it when giving me the band. true to his word, he did it, no extra charge ... and i feel fab. i now can eat fruit and drink wine - which i could never really do before because of the pain of the acid. Like big and bouncy - my stomach feels like new

Mr Siggurdson did mine at the same time too. I think it may be THG policy at Dolan Park to do it at the same time. I think it is almost a preventative measure as at the consultation he said he would put a stitch in as I don't even think I had one.

it was like ... buy one get one free ... LOL :rolleyes:

Back