• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hey Everyone, Newbie

laceyjane160908

Hi all,

My name is Kayleigh and i am 25 years of age. I currently weight 19stone 7lbs and i am discusted with myself. I have a 4 year old daughter whom i want to live to watch her grow up and in this state i cant see it happening.
I have tried many diets and extreme diets such as making my self sick and starving myself, however none did the trick. I tried slimming world 5 times, weight watchers 3 times, rosmary conley twice, GI diet once, cabbage soup diet 4 times and so on. I have been on medication from gp such as reductil, and orlistat and lost maximum 1 stone. My weight and other issues have caused me to have depression. My GP sent a letter to apply for funding for bariatric surgery back in 2011 and had no reply, so she has now sent another letter for funding and we are hoping for some result. I have awful joint problems which i am on Naproxen and co-dydramol for the pain, i cant walk far without getting out of breathe (highly embarrassing).
I know its my own fault i have got this way but without help i dont see any other option.
I would be grateful for any information or guidance about weight loss surgery and which is better, i have read into the pros and cons and risks. I think a gastric band is the safer and better option.

Hope you all ok and have a very Happy Christmas

Kayles xxx

Hi kayleigh,, welcome.
I am also new to the forum it's a great place for information. Hope you get funding and have a great Christmas :) x

Hi Kayles welcome to the forum its quiet with it being christmas but im sure more welcomes will be along soon. You are best researching all sugery options as this will be discussed with you to see you are prepared to undergo a big life change. As you may of been told the surgery is only a "Tool" to helpaid weight loss you personaly still have to watch your food intake for it to work. I waited until I seen the Bariatric team and went with their advice for the "sleeve" because different eating patterns refer different "tools" ie band, sleeve, bypass and so on. There is lots of information regarding all the different surgeries in this forum some positive and some negative as it is always good to see both sides of the coin so to speak. Good luck with your journey and fingers crossed for your funding. xxx Happy Christmas. xxx ps "STOP PUTTING YOURSELF DOWN" xxx

Hi Kayles,

Welcome and merry Christmas, it would be helpful if people knew where you are from and which PCT you are under, as they all differ and do things slightly differently. My op chose me, in that my weight, eating patterns and co-morbidities pointed me in the direction of bypass. The BOSPA website will give you an idea of what your pct's criteria is and guidelines on the varieties of surgery available, and your team will advise you on the best surgery for you. I'd advise to keep an open mind on that for now, and look into them all. It is a tool but you need the right one for you, after all you can open a can with a knife, but it's easier with a tin opener and easier still with an electric one.

Welcome and merry xmas :)

Welcome!
I personally found that after doing all my online research, the next stage for me was actually attending a group bariatric support meeting. Find the closest group to you, they usually meet monthly at a hospital which undertakes WLS.
I found them to be very welcoming of people who are starting their journey. They have discussions about specific topics each meeting, and then lots of time to chat to others.
As they are primarily support groups, there are a lot of post-oppers who also attend.

After I did this, I met with my doctor to discuss going forward.

Good Luck with your journey.

SN

Greetings Kayles and welcome to the forum. Sounds like you already researching all options which is good. There is a lot of information out there! And going to a weight loss surgery support group is also great as like Slimmingnix has said you can speak to others who have already had surgery :) Good luck on your journey x x

hi im new also, i have just got the funding for my op after 3 years good luck

Back