• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Doctor has given me the option of bariatric surgery

lydia86

Hi all. Have been to see my GP again today who has recommended a gastric band for me. I have been battling with my weight for over 10 yrs since I was a teenager and am now heavier than I was before.

I must have been back to weight watchers and slimming world more times than I can count, as well as following calorie controlled diets, crash diets, meal replacements and the NHS weight loss programme, all to no avail. I am 25 with a 2 year old daughter and want to have more kids, but not at my size.

I am seriously considering the surgery as nothing I have tried has worked and with a family history of heart conditions, diabetes and spontaneous liver failure, I want to be as healthy as possible to see my daughter grow up.

You read such horror stories by googling bariatric surgery, so I thought it would be nice to speak to people who are having or have had it done to find out what happens, what the waiting times are like etc, and of course for support!!

Thankyou! :)

hi and welcome to this forum , you will defo find all the support and advice you need on this site, and if you do go ahead with your surgery and decide to be a regular poster on this site, you will prob go into hospital armed with all the advice and knowledge and know more than most poeple who are haveing the same op as you.
no one can decide but you if you want this chance its not a quick fix you have to work at it and watch what you eat, i hope you can decide what to have with wanting another child and your family history, good luck and best whishes with your decision. xx

:welcome:

This site is really useful and supportive - just ask any questions you might have.

I'm pre-op so can't help with anything post-op yet. I'm from Sunderland and hoping to get a sleeve in the next couple of months which will have taken less than 18 months since my seminar at the hospital x

I have not been using this site very long but can tell you how useful I have found it and the members are very welcoming. Good luck making the right decision for you. :)

Thanks ladies. I am one of those people who really worries about what other people think and I just worry that people will think I am doing it because 'i'm lazy' which I think is the general consensus among alot of people who do not struggle with their weight. On the contrary, I am very active and eat healthy, home cooked food. I just wish people weren't so ignorant. I have a list as long as my arm of diets and programmes I have tried, as I'm sure many of you have! I'd love to hear about your journeys. If anyone is on facebook, I'd be more than happy to be facebook friends! My name is Lydia Jones, from Plymouth x:thankyou::thankyou:

You will get lots of information on here. Yes there are bad stories out there, they will always highlight bad press, not the thousands of people who have benefited from surgery.

When my GP first suggested this option to me I was really surprised, but she had seen how over the years my weight has been a constant battle, the lengths I have gone to to loose weight and the effects my weight is now having on my health.

For me I know it's the right thing, it is something you needs to do for yourself.

I want my confidence back, to be outgoing again, for my knee not to kill me from walking or climbing the stairs and not to be poked fun at.

I have found the journey to surgery does take quite some time.

It might be worth getting a referral made, and you should have time to decide that if surgery does not feel right for you you can say you have changed your mind.

I wish you all the best of luck with your decision

Kim x

Thanks ladies. I am one of those people who really worries about what other people think and I just worry that people will think I am doing it because 'i'm lazy' which I think is the general consensus among alot of people who do not struggle with their weight. On the contrary, I am very active and eat healthy, home cooked food. I just wish people weren't so ignorant. I have a list as long as my arm of diets and programmes I have tried, as I'm sure many of you have! I'd love to hear about your journeys. If anyone is on facebook, I'd be more than happy to be facebook friends! My name is Lydia Jones, from Plymouth x:thankyou::thankyou:

My surgery is just under 2 weeks away, I have kept no secrests about my surgery, and to be honest don't care what people think. There will always be people that think you are taking the easy way out, these are people who are not armed with all the facts and therefore making themselves look a bit silly really.

I have had a couple of 'run in's' with friends who really argued that they felt I was doing the wrong thing, but the best part was I could argue EVERY point and justify to them (and myself) why surgery was for me and felt fantastic afterwards

Kim x

I definately think that it is the way forward for me. I'm going back to my doctor next week to get the ball rolling. I'm feeling pretty positive about this now. Its so nice to see that there is a friendly forum! Thankyou again! X

It is a personnal decision. I originally went for a band but given options by my surgeon. He explained everything in detail to me & answered all my questions. I did my own research on the web & with books & after a lot of though , advice from doctors & family, I chose a gastric sleeve.
For me the band seemed to high maintanance for my personal circumstances & I needed a permanent solution. I felt for me the bypass was too drastic & my surgeon is at the forefront of research & he firmly believes that the sleeve is now achieving like for like results as the bypass. If however your BMI is very very high he would still advise a bypass. It is not an easy or lazy route to weight loss but I am doing well dispite problems with allergies to the medications that cause a stricture & I had to have a stretch. All painless. My surgery was almot pain free & I have lost 5 stone in total since beginning of January. My back pain is vastly improved, I can touch my toes, climb stairs normally, blood pressure is cured & dropped 4 dress sizes. I do not regret it one bit even though I have had some since the op.
Take advice, read up on the choices, take your time with your decision & good luck.
We are all here to support you.

My bmi is 46 hun. What happens after the gp referral? Can you get turned down? Im so worried about that because i have literally exhausted all other avenues and i dont know what i'll do!! X

Firstly you need to find out your PCTs criteria as they all differ. Assuming you are tryingfor NHS funding.
BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association
Above website is a good guide to many criteria & is a useful site for info.
Usually your hospital will apply for your funding if they think you need the surgery.
Yes you can be refused but you can appeal. Don't worry too much about that at the moment. Sometimes it's your GP who applies it depends.
I was refered by my GP to the team at the hospital in Jan 2011. On my first appointment I spent most of the day at hospital being weighed, blood tets etc. then saw a dietician then had a group classroom session explaining all about bariatric surgery. Finally in the afternoon I saw the consultant surgeon. He explained all my options to me & he said I should go away & think about it & then confirm to his secretary what surgery I wanted to go for. The admin team applied for my funding & my GP supported it & I got it inMay 2011. I had another appointment in nov 2011 then a pre op appointment with surgeon at end of Jan 2012. I had a pre op classroom session to find out about the liver shrinkage diet & post op diet , saw the physiotherapist & had finally blood tets etc. op on 25 Feb. not looked back. Good luck. Ask away on any questions. This is only my personal experience. My friend is und same hospital but different PCT & is having trouble getting funding. She has now been waiting over 18 months.

Thanks chick. Ive looked up the NICE guidelines that my PCT follows and im well within criteria so fingers crossed!!! X

Here's wishing you all the luck in the world. Loving my sleeve & my new wardrobe LOL x

Back