• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi all only just found this site

I have my op on 17th at L&D very excited
Hi and welcome which surgery are you having? I had a bypass at Luton in April 2018 and have no regrets although I do miss the food that got me into the position of needing wls and my head still wants huge portions but Percy (my pouch) obviously won’t let me, it’s far from easy but definitely no regrets, keep posting, once you reach 100 posts you’ll be able to access a lot of diaries which are in the bronze section of this site, mine included, but there is also lots of other helpful and informative diaries thar you can access before you reach 100 posts, research research and research some more so you are as informed as you possibly can be, good luck. X

Thanks Bling Babe. I am also having a bypass. Thanks for the tip on posting. I am already missing food just doing the pre-op milk diet and thinking of things i will never eat again. I need to find a hobby to take my mind off food lol.

Hi and welcome xx

Thanks Bling Babe. I am also having a bypass. Thanks for the tip on posting. I am already missing food just doing the pre-op milk diet and thinking of things i will never eat again. I need to find a hobby to take my mind off food lol.
Aw bless you, I found the milk diet fairly easy but pre-op I did mourn food I thought I’d never eat again but I ca eat just about anything it’s just about keeping it in moderation and I do try very hard not to give in to cakes, biscuits and chocolate but only because of the macros in them, unfortunately “Percy will happily let me eat them. Xx

Good luck with your op. Don't worry about never eating again, you will, I'm 5 months post op and can eat anything so far without problems, except scrambled egg lol. I eat eggs just not scrambled, how weird is that. I thought the same as you, I'd be on tiny tiny portions of not much of anything, it's not true lol, well not for me it isn't. x

Last edited:
Hi Sarnie I have read your log and WOW same with Bling and Parsnip you have all done so well. I note you have the same surgeon as me. Did you stay in the hospital 2 nights. Also is it normal to have hair loss. My next hurdle is injecting myself the night b4. I have problems putting drops in my eyes so this will be interesting

Hi Sarnie I have read your log and WOW same with Bling and Parsnip you have all done so well. I note you have the same surgeon as me. Did you stay in the hospital 2 nights. Also is it normal to have hair loss. My next hurdle is injecting myself the night b4. I have problems putting drops in my eyes so this will be interesting
Hi, my stay at L&D was less than 24 hours.
I'm have some slight hair loss now, but I also did last year when I lost a lot of weight on my own, it had just started growing back again and now I'm on to round two lol, but I know it will grow back, so I'm not worried.
I was very anxious about injecting myself and really didn't think I could do it, but I did and the needles are so sharp you don't feel it, you have to pinch the skin really hard, then it's easy and you'll wonder why you were so worried, honestly it's really not that bad, but you'll still be glad to see the back of them all.
I literally just checked the date of your surgery, you will have been done today, I hope it all went well and wish you a speedy recovery, let's us know how you are when you can x

Hello and welcome, I also had bypass with Mr Jain at Luton 2 years ago. Best thing I ever did. Good luck to you xxx

Thank you, hope all went well today, looking forward to your update xx

I survived ;) just feeling very nauseous. I had an morning op so told to be there by 7am so I got there at 6:15 (I always have to be early). Was seen by one of the nurses just before 7 and went through all my details etc was told I was 4th or (last on list for morning op) which is normally done before 11:30am. lost 10 kilos on pre-op milk diet (yeah). Was then seen by another nurse who fitted my lovely green surgical tights. Saw Dr Jumbalinga at around 10:30 who went over everything again and all the forms I had signed. More waiting was eventually called at 11:30 to change into a gown went over the forms again and then taken to the holding room. Getting a bit concerned as now gone 12 when one of the surgical team came out to say that the lady who had been booked in before me had only just turned up so they were going to keep the same order so they will still do my op just at about 13:30 not one to complain I just said that's fine. It was at about 2:30 that panic set in was the delay a sign I should not go through with it. Was thinking if I should just apologise and leave or just run for it when someone came to get me just before 3. I climbed onto the bed more checks done to see if I still recalled who I was. They then put the canular in and gave me a mask to breath in the gas. Was just about to say nothing is happening when I just remember waking up. Had a lovely male nurse looking after me in the recovery area. Had a really bad pain on the left hand side which he said was gas and not to rub as it makes it worse. He gave me morphine and something else but didn't help. He then got me a really hot blanket must have just come out of the dryer and when I held it to the pain it really helped. When I told him that did the trick he got me another one. I was then wheeled on to the ward just before 6:30pm. Was really nice to see my family waiting as I told them I would text them when I was up as I had no idea when my op would be let alone conscious. I felt fine and got up to use the toilet which the nurses was amazed at. Mr Jumbalinga came soon after to see how I was doing and was please to see me up had been sipping water (mouth was really dry) and been to the loo so he said I could be discharged in the morning as soon as I got my meds.
Had a really lovely nurse named Danni nothing was too much trouble and very knowledgeable and explained everything she was doing and why. Even explained why my shoulder felt like I had been wrestling a bear. Not got much sleep with all the observations being done on everyone and the room next door a woman was singing very loudly at 3am in morning. Got up at 6am had a shower and felt more human. Packed my bag and was ready to go. Mr Jumbalinga came about 9 and asked why they had not got my meds ready as i was ready to go. Nurse came at 9:30 to say she had put the prescription in but not sure how long it would take. ~I thought it wouldn't take more than an hour so rang my mum to collect me. she arrived about 11:00 still no meds. Taken to the waiting room with nice recliner chairs and tv. Sat there until 12:30 still no sign of meds and worse still nurse check my discharge papers and not completed correctly. She rang a doctor who told her she was on her rounds so would not be able to do it for another hour. Mum had to leave to pick son up from school. Fell asleep. Meds arrived about 13:15 fell back to sleep. Doctor completed discharge letter and fit note signed off for 12 weeks. Now 13:45 have to wait for mum to come back. She arrived back at 2:50 yeah. Luckily only live in Hemel so only 20 mins back home.
Still feeling sick today. Only had water so far really don't feel like anything else. My try a few sips of bovril later. Thanks for all your well wishes xx

Welcome to the losers bench!!
I’m glad your feeling pretty good, take care and keep on sip sip sip sipping, 12 weeks is a long time to be signed of work, I was off for 8 in total but Luton surgeon Mr. Jain gave me 2 weeks and told me to see my GP if I needed more which I do due to complications,
Keep in touch and get plenty of est xx

I survived ;) just feeling very nauseous. I had an morning op so told to be there by 7am so I got there at 6:15 (I always have to be early). Was seen by one of the nurses just before 7 and went through all my details etc was told I was 4th or (last on list for morning op) which is normally done before 11:30am. lost 10 kilos on pre-op milk diet (yeah). Was then seen by another nurse who fitted my lovely green surgical tights. Saw Dr Jumbalinga at around 10:30 who went over everything again and all the forms I had signed. More waiting was eventually called at 11:30 to change into a gown went over the forms again and then taken to the holding room. Getting a bit concerned as now gone 12 when one of the surgical team came out to say that the lady who had been booked in before me had only just turned up so they were going to keep the same order so they will still do my op just at about 13:30 not one to complain I just said that's fine. It was at about 2:30 that panic set in was the delay a sign I should not go through with it. Was thinking if I should just apologise and leave or just run for it when someone came to get me just before 3. I climbed onto the bed more checks done to see if I still recalled who I was. They then put the canular in and gave me a mask to breath in the gas. Was just about to say nothing is happening when I just remember waking up. Had a lovely male nurse looking after me in the recovery area. Had a really bad pain on the left hand side which he said was gas and not to rub as it makes it worse. He gave me morphine and something else but didn't help. He then got me a really hot blanket must have just come out of the dryer and when I held it to the pain it really helped. When I told him that did the trick he got me another one. I was then wheeled on to the ward just before 6:30pm. Was really nice to see my family waiting as I told them I would text them when I was up as I had no idea when my op would be let alone conscious. I felt fine and got up to use the toilet which the nurses was amazed at. Mr Jumbalinga came soon after to see how I was doing and was please to see me up had been sipping water (mouth was really dry) and been to the loo so he said I could be discharged in the morning as soon as I got my meds.
Had a really lovely nurse named Danni nothing was too much trouble and very knowledgeable and explained everything she was doing and why. Even explained why my shoulder felt like I had been wrestling a bear. Not got much sleep with all the observations being done on everyone and the room next door a woman was singing very loudly at 3am in morning. Got up at 6am had a shower and felt more human. Packed my bag and was ready to go. Mr Jumbalinga came about 9 and asked why they had not got my meds ready as i was ready to go. Nurse came at 9:30 to say she had put the prescription in but not sure how long it would take. ~I thought it wouldn't take more than an hour so rang my mum to collect me. she arrived about 11:00 still no meds. Taken to the waiting room with nice recliner chairs and tv. Sat there until 12:30 still no sign of meds and worse still nurse check my discharge papers and not completed correctly. She rang a doctor who told her she was on her rounds so would not be able to do it for another hour. Mum had to leave to pick son up from school. Fell asleep. Meds arrived about 13:15 fell back to sleep. Doctor completed discharge letter and fit note signed off for 12 weeks. Now 13:45 have to wait for mum to come back. She arrived back at 2:50 yeah. Luckily only live in Hemel so only 20 mins back home.
Still feeling sick today. Only had water so far really don't feel like anything else. My try a few sips of bovril later. Thanks for all your well wishes xx
Glad all went well for you. Keep sipping the water and trying small amounts of other things your allowed. Hope you have a speedy recovery x

Glad everything went well. Welcome to the bench x

When does the nausea stop. It is really getting me down. Still sipping water and not much much else. Have tried soups and milk but everything leaves a bad taste in my mouth and cannot tolerate anything sweet. any ideas

When does the nausea stop. It is really getting me down. Still sipping water and not much much else. Have tried soups and milk but everything leaves a bad taste in my mouth and cannot tolerate anything sweet. any ideas
I was the same early on, just keep sipping at what you can tolerate, early days I was pretty much milk, water, yoghurts and Campbells soups, couldn't tolerate any protein shakes. Taking it real slow helps with the nausea. x

I was the same early on, just keep sipping at what you can tolerate, early days I was pretty much milk, water, yoghurts and Campbells soups, couldn't tolerate any protein shakes. Taking it real slow helps with the nausea. x
Thanks Sarnie I was getting worried that I was not on track to start going on to go on to soft foods.

Take your time, it’s still early days for you, could you try some Arla yogurt mixed with milk, they are great for protein xx

Take your time, it’s still early days for you, could you try some Arla yogurt mixed with milk, they are great for protein xx
Thanks Bling I have bought various yogurts but just feel ill eating them and then they leave a bitter taste. I will keep trying. I have not lost any weight for the last 4 days although hardly having anything did that happen to you I was trying to follow your weight loss diary. xx

Back