• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi everyone - anyone had a DVT and still able to have surgery

:wave_cry:Hi guys,

:wave_cry: I am really worried now, i received my letter from the hospital today, confirming my appointment on 1st June (yipee!!).

I have to fill in a form "assessing you for admission", in this is "your medical history" - embarrisingly i have to tick many of the illnesses, such as back problems (2 back operations), high blood ressure, pleurisy, frequent indigestion, cancer (skin cancer last year) ... and on and on.... you get the gyst.

The one i am worried about the most is a DVT i had approximately 4 years ago. Thankfully it has never returned :D, but do you think they would not operate because i have already had one?!?!?

I did tell the Doctor on my initial consultation and he didn't say that the surgeon would not do it. Am i worrying over nothing?? :sigh: Has anyone had a DVT and still been able to have the surgery.

Thanks guys xxx

Surely so long as they know about the DVT they can bang you full of Warfarin and everything will be ok? x

Woo Hoo - good luck dude...so pleased your journey is coming along! No idea about the DVT, but I should imagine that you'll have the blow up boots as well as the ted socks and anything else they can do for you to prevent this...just as long as they know what they might face...you should be fine!

I got my fingers n toes crossed for you! Say hi to OH :D

Sally xx

It is crucial that you are open and honest about your medical history. This is an elective procedure and all information will be taken into consideration along the way. If the medical staff are not aware of a pre-existing condition, they cannot plan for it and heaven forbid, if anything untoward were to happen because of something you failed to disclose, then any insurance or claim would be invalid.

:D thanks guys,

Your right, i know - as long as they know they can whatch out for any problems. It just sticks in my head the conversation i had with my GP at the very beginning, he said that the surgeon would not do the op becasue of the DVT. But then he referred me?!?! Go figure! In retrospect i think he was just explaining the high risks involved, which of course i understand. For me anyway the benefits far outway the risks. I am just a worry.

Thanks Margaret, its lovely to hear that someone has had the surgery who has had a DVT. :D

thanks again everone i do appreciate your help xxx

hi there :)

I have not had a dvt but I have had a clot on the lung 7 yrs ago down to a clotting disorder I have that can make you prone to dvt.

I havent had surgery yet but the consultant has sent me for tests to check my lungs and also to see someone else about how to manage the clotting disorder throughout.

I dont think the dvt will preclude you from surgery but it is of the utmost importance that you tell them of it.

Good luck with it all

thanks swizzlestick,
i hope you are ok with all your tests, i am sure you will be. Without doubt i will tell them about the DVT (i am just sat here doing a list so i dont forget anything), but you know what its like, you dont want to get to the last hurdle and them to say "sorry but no". I know if they said "no" it would be for my own good. I think i am just worrying over nothing.

Thanks again to everyone for your lovely messages - you make me smile :D x

I have the same clotting disorder as swizzle, and had a dvt in my leg abou 15 years ago. Didn't stop my surgery :)

It's standard to be on heparin post op anyway, and have all the lovely leg bandage thingies. I had inflatable leg cuffs for the first 24 hours too to prevent DVT.

Most overweight people are more prone to DVT, hence all the standard precautions. If they know about your history, then they can take it in to account and work to prevent it. Also, they will have a plan in place in case anything does happen and will be looking out for it. So in some ways, you're safer than someone who's never had a DVT :)

Just wanted to say a huge thatnk you to everyone - especially you ShelBell! You have put my mind at rest - your right i think the more they know the better the chance of them stopping a DVT. I hadn't thought abut it like that :D (just wanted to say its lovely to see the baby ticker ticking along nicely :D:D:D)
xxxxx

Thanks Sue, it makes me grin whenever I see it :)

Back