• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi -Excited and anxious about surgery..

tango

Hi everyone, I have been looking around and have found this site very informative and supportive of each other.

I am hoping to have a Gastric Bypass soon. I saw Shaw Somers today and he has said that although I might be a difficult case (I have large amounts of scarring on my abdomin left from emergency bowel surgery last year) he would give it a go and if possible do the bypass and if not do the sleeve.

Has anyone else here been in a similar position with regards to scarring?

I had 3 operations last year 2 for ovarian cancer and then the emergency one because my bowel was punctured and I got peritinitous. I was left with an open would (as my wound broke down through infection) and had to have a VAC dressing for several months before I healed. Lastly I had a DVT due to being immobilised and spent 3 weeks in hospital unable to move...

It might seem strange to some of you that I would be willing to go through more surgery when my life was given to me last year...but most of you will probably know that what I am living now is a half life...BMI 48. I feel like a spectator not being able to join in when my family are having fun and adventures...I really want to surf and ski etc...or just run around and play rounders!!

The events of last year have really shown me that we really must make every minute count and I know without surgery I wont be able to live the way I want to.

Sorry for blurbing on, just chatting to myself really. I am excited that I can look forward to next year and see the me I always wanted to be. But I am anxious that the sugery will go wrong and I'll be a mess again in and out of hospital..

I will let you know when I have heard from Chichester Hospital with a date...thanks for listening. x :chores016:

:welcome2: make yourself comfy........congrats on getting the surgery you want.......Shaw Sommers has an excellent reputation and Im sure he wouldnt attempt to operate on you if he thought he couldnt do it.........good luck X :D

Hiya Tango xx Jacqui is right there , you are in good hands and hopefully , after all you have been through, when this surgery is done you can start the journey to become that best version of you that's inside waiting to come out. Lots of really great people here are more than willing to help out if you have queries or just fancy a natter xxx Loads of love and best of luck with the op and beyond x

Last edited:
I cried reading your thread, so true in what you wrote :-(
I'm sure you'll be oK your surgeon will not cause any un necessary risks. Good luck xxx

Thanks guys for your support... I know that my consultant wont take any unneccesary risks but I have to admit it is a bit daunting. I really want and need this surgery, cant wait until they contact me...x

Hi Tango,
I facing similiar to yourself going for bypass may end up with sleeve due to abdominal scarring from numerous previous ops....................My op is 20th July in charring i will let you know howit goes , but in the mean time welcome and good luck on your journeyx

Hi Eyore, fantastic that you have a date. Thanks for posting. Hope you dont mind me asking but I have a couple of questions....???

Has your consultant said that he will try and do the bypass keyhole or open? Do you what your % chances are of having the bypass? What have you been told about the sleeve and its results?

Understand if you dont want to answer. It is supportive to know that someone else is on the same journey as me. Good luck with your surgery in July, I'm hoping to have mine in Sept. When do you start the diet? Keep in touch xx

Hi Tango,

Can't offer any advice re. the scarring I'm afraid, but didn't want to read & run. Sounds like you've really been through it girl, but you are here & still smiling which is always good! As Dottychic says, Shaw Somers has an excellent reputation, so you are in good hands there. Let us know how you get on xxxx

Hi Eyore, fantastic that you have a date. Thanks for posting. Hope you dont mind me asking but I have a couple of questions....???

Has your consultant said that he will try and do the bypass keyhole or open? Do you what your % chances are of having the bypass? What have you been told about the sleeve and its results?

Understand if you dont want to answer. It is supportive to know that someone else is on the same journey as me. Good luck with your surgery in July, I'm hoping to have mine in Sept. When do you start the diet? Keep in touch xx

The sleeve has really good results 60-70% weight loss if i remember correctly, Good luck xxx

Back