• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi I am New to the site - Excited but also concerned

toastedcrumpet

Hi

I am 48, live in Suffolk with hubby, 2 dogs, 3 cats and loads of fish. I have constantly struggled with my weight since I was in my 20's. I currently have a BMI of 43, high blood pressure controlled by tablets and limited mobility due to long standing problems (I had a spinal fusion 2 years ago on the lower back, this was not weight related but has affected the amount of exercise I can do).
You name any diet and I have tried and failed at most of them after a while.
I am having gallbladder problems and need it removed but the surgeons wont do it till I lose weight. My GP has asked the CCG for funding and today I have had a letter stating I have funding for Level 3 at Addenbrookes obesity clinic which according to the letter is multi disciplinary (dietician, psychologist etc). Has anyone else had any experience of this?

I would like the surgery and as I have a sweet tooth the internet searches suggest a bypass might be best, does anyone have any thoughts about this?
Basically any info and help anyone can give will be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Hello! I'm at the beginning of the journey too. In oct my GP told me I would be eligible for weight loss surgery due to my weight and problems and asked if I would consider it. I jumped at the chance to get healthy and change my life and he said the procedure is to refer me to a weight loss management group. I got a letter for an appointment with a consultant at end of nov in diabetics clinic and he said you have to attend a 12 week weight management course, lose 5%, then come back and he will apply for funding and get the ball rolling. I have waited ever since for a place which starts next week. I think the waiting time varies but I don't think I will get my surgery untill at least the end of year if not next year. At some point they invite you to a seminar with other patients where they discuss the available operations etc. I wish you all the best. This is a great site to find out everything you will need to know :) x

Hi and thanks for the info. I have been warned it is a long journey and not to get my hopes up too high because waiting lists are long etc.

Good luck with your weightloss and surgery if that is the way you go. x

Thank you. I have the same problems as you and the sweet tooth! Lol. I can diet but can't exercise much due to my back and knee so I know I can't lose the weight any other way. Good luck x

Welcome and good luck xx

Hi, im at the same stage roughly as you, i was referred by my gp in january and had my first appointment with the dietician on tuesday, very informative and got the ball rolling for me, got to attend at least 2 support groups and round about june i will be referred to aintree hospital to see the surgeon, she said it could be sooner and i meet all the criteria and im about 25% there already, my bmi is 44 and ive got pre diabetes
Good luck, what op do you want? She recomended the sleeve for me which is what i want.
Sue x

Hi Sue

I am not sure exactly which surgery but am tempted by the bypass as I have a very sweet tooth and I have read that if you eat too much sugar you experience something called Dumping Syndrome which is rather unpleasant.
My other choice would be a band but really I will be guided by the consultant.

I don't know much about the sleeve operation I must confess.
Amanda x

hi and welcome i would say research all the options and keep an open mind and see how you feel after you get an appointment my preferred choice was sleeve but the surgeon suggested bypass they seem to know best so i am going with the surgeons suggestion but i did research all options before hand

Back