• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I am very new to this site

ladylite

I am contemplating WLS and have my first appointment on 27th April.

Unfortunately my PCT wont fund me unless I have a BMI of over 50 mine is 43, so am using some of my husbands pension fund (which is suppose to pay of the mortgage) to fund my surgery, thats if I am allowed to have it, the op I mean.

I have been doing lots of research and have a few down moments, especially when I read what can go wrong, but on the whole cant wait for it to happen.

Fed up with being jolly fat Mary, want to be jolly thin Mary.

I am attending Guy Slater at Chichester.

Welcome to the group Mary. It's awful that you can't get it on the nhs! I'm guessing you don't have any comorbidities that would help you slide through the system then?

What operation are you going for? Bypass or band?

It's all very exciting. I wish you well, seems you have chosen one heck of a good surgeon.. You'll find all the information you need and some you may not think you want on here. Don't be frightened to ask any questions and don't worry, the locals don't bite lol ...

Good luck with it, i look forward to hearing from you more xx

Hi Mary

Welcome along. I hope you've had lots of information from here.

Good luck on your journey and, always remember, a problem shared is a problem halved :)

Thanks for the welcome and yes I am very annoyed that I cant get funding, my doctors words were "your are not big enough", I am 18 stone and 5. 3". I did mention that I could soon rectify the matter. To be honest the money is going to be sadly missed as I said it was to pay off the mortgage which will mean I will have to move and downsze from my lovely bungalow sooner rather than later.

The reason i am taking such action is cause I had a wee cancer scare about a month ago, frightened me to death, I then decided there and then that if I have to go off in a coffin I dont wont one of those giant wide ones...... LOL. No really it is a great eye opener.

Anyway OH is willing to give up some of his pension, he is as skinny as a rake and really understands so at least I will have his support.

Thanks again for the welcome, you wont get rid of me now, this is my way of coping with OH sport on the telly:flirt2:

Hiya, just want to add my welcome wishes. This is such a friendly site, and very informative, and supportive. I am sure you will find it invaluable, I know I have. Good luck on your weight loss journey xxxx

Hi Mary :welcome:
You have come to the best place, we are a friendly bunch and as Julie said "we dont bite" .. not much anyway! I kn ow what you mean about the scare you had I had 2 strokes a while ago and I thought exactly the same thing, no way are the firemen going to have to carry me out and send me off in a specially made box! (mind you thinking about it, firemen....uniforms :D....no, Ill try and keep my mind out of the gutter! Pull up a chair and relax x

Hi Mary:wavey:
I just wanted to welcome you to the site too. I am really sorry to hear about what your doctor said to you, I went privately for mine but I was lucky to be left the money by a great uncle that I decided to put to good use and my GP was really supportive. It totally TOTALLY sucks that you have to get bigger to qualify for it on the nhs when you are already in the morbidly obese category - that is just crazyness!
Anyway, welcome aboard :D
:party0011::party0049:Xxx em xxX :party0049::party0011:

Thanks again and I would just like to mention I am 61 ......... 61 bloody one:wave_cry:. They way I looked at it I should get my money's worth as statistics say I should die at approximately 85 so at least I will have 21 years worth out of it.

The only thing that does worry me is I dont look 61 (and I definately dont act it), I will probalbly look a lot wrinklyer and there would definately be no dosh left of any kind of lifts...... the OH did mention he would tye it at the back with a clothes peg, if necessary he he.:eek::eek:

Sorry had to edit, not 61 60 bloody two. LOL

Last edited:
Welcome and good luck on your WLS journey xx

Good luck Ladylite!!!! I always said I wld neva eva be fat & 40, well here I am! I was 40 in March & morbidly obese, not just fat but morbidly obese!!!! BUT, we're neva too young to take steps & prolong our lives.

Welcome to the site Ladylite , i've just had my surgery and i would never have been so prepared had it not been for this forum and the people who post on here :) Good luck with your appointment and keep us posted :D

Mary you look great for your age, and with your operation you'll look even more fabulous xx

Oh yeah and if the peg thing works could your husband find a couple for me? The boobs are already drooping without any sign of an op yet lol xx

hi mary, welome to the site.

Thank you all for the lovely welcomes.

Just to say I was a member of minims, you know, joined the Slimming World, WW, Lighter Life, Atkins, Calorie control sections too. Thats why I have decided on surgery, none of the others worked for me.

Oh and that picture of me was when I was on lighter life and got to 13stone, needless to say not that anymore, but then some of you know where I am coming from. I think I need to up date it so that I can update it again later..... LOL

Hi and welcome Mary. Good luck with your journey, and if your hubby has any of those pegs to spare I could do with half a dozen here to peg my loose bits up.

Welcome Mary - such a shame about your PCT - its a postcode lottery I'm afraid. I was 16 stone and got mine on the NHS but I think because I am diabetic. You will find this site such a mine of information - before and after surgery. Its not an easy fix but the benefits are fantasic when you start to lose the weight!

Back