• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Update From The Impatient 1 - Heartlands Hospital

Jezabelle

Quitting is NOT an option
Hello All :p

Well around 20 minutes ago I eventually tracked down my referral from my gp to Heartlands Hospital (yay) ;)

It was in the book and choose department and as I was speaking to the lovely lady her coleague was faxing it over to the correct department - Diabetics as this is where wls is dealt with at Heartlands.

I left it for 10 minutes and then phoned that department up and she told me she had just picked it up of the fax machine :) She told me that it would now go to the doctor Mr Paul Super and NOT Mr Martin Richardson as I was originally told by my gp surgery, apparently he doesn't even do wls at Heatlands? how true or not that is I don't know :confused: She also said that the Dr will look at it and decide what and where I need to be seen 1st, it could be with him or one of his medical team or I suppose weight loss clinic (dietician) and I will be seen within 6 weeks for my 1st appointment.

While I was talking to her I asked if they did Bypass as well at Heartlands and she said yes - Mr Super & Mr Khumar(?) I was on the understanding that Mr Super only did bands I said and she said that he also works with Mr Khumar who does bypasses.

I can't say how happy and relaxed I feel now that I know that my referral is now in receipt and being dealt with. All thoughts was running around in my head thinking it was going to get lost in the post. :rolleyes:

I'm still having no joy with Solihull PCT though. I've had to phone a few times to chase up the guide lines to no avail. She did get back to me while I was on the phone to the Hospital and said that they had spoken to the consultant and he is aware of my referral. I only wanted the PCT guide lines so I don't know why they had contacted the hospital :confused:

I'm going to leave it now and just wait for the appointment and wait to see if I am suitable for surgery and then deal with the PCT if and when the time comes.

I thought I would write this as I know there are a couple of other people on here who are/have been referred to Heartlands and thought it might be of some use to them as well.

I'm just so pleased they have it. ;)

Very good news! Do you have the number for the choose and book department? My referral may be there as well.

Choose and Book is - 0121 424 0801
Dietetics is - 0121 424 2074
Appointments/Referrals is - 0121 424 0380

Let me know how you get on.

Very good news! Do you have the number for the choose and book department? My referral may be there as well.

Indeed you do... I don't think I will pester them again for a while though just in case they mark me down as a nuisance and they reject me for wls. :rolleyes:

Great news, you just have to keep chasing them up if you want to get somewhere don't you?

About 1 hour ago I received a phone call from Solihull PCT the actual Consultant who deals with the PCT claims.

He told me that they follow the NICE guide lines and that they are supporting wls and have money for wls in my area at this time and if I meet the criteria the claim will run through smoothly with no problem. It is also the consultant and not the gp that applies for the funding.

If i've read it right can someone please confirm that with my BMI being 48.1 that i fit in with the guide lines or not?

Thanks

I think the same as you a BMI above 40. Do you have any comorbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea). Good luck with your application I so hope they say yes for you.

I have suffered with high blood pressure in the past and on my check with the nurse for the referral the dr said it was on the border line of normal/high. I also have high cholesteral and I am under the rheumatism clinic at heartlands/solihull hospital. These don't count though he said but with BMI of 48.1 i might be ok :confused:

What the consultant for the PCT said to me yesterday was BMI 35 to 40 people have to have comorbidties and 40 plus they accept.

I'm just being cautious though as I won't believe it until I see it in black and white.

I think the same as you a BMI above 40. Do you have any comorbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea). Good luck with your application I so hope they say yes for you.

I am so pleased you have got some answers. I will check back with the bariatric coordinator about my referral next week. Appointments told me that they would even look into my enquiry. I was at the GP's for a chest infection this morning and the GP said my referral was sent to Mr Super and if I wanted a bypass it would get sent to Mr Kumar after my 1st appointment at Heartlands. I do hope my referral turns up soon. It was mailed to Heartlands on the 12th.

Hi FL, Your referral will be at the Diabetic clinic as that is who I am referred to Mr Super. I've not long come off the phone to the lovely lady and she told me my referral is with the Dr/consultant and they expect it back down later on today or Monday. She told me to call them again on Tuesday to see if it is back with them and told me she will be able to give me a appointment over the phone. I did say to her that I don't want to seem pushy and she told me to phone them anytime :)

We might even end up going to the same clinic on the same day as both our referrals have gone off to them within a week of one another.

I am so pleased you have got some answers. I will check back with the bariatric coordinator about my referral next week. Appointments told me that they would even look into my enquiry. I was at the GP's for a chest infection this morning and the GP said my referral was sent to Mr Super and if I wanted a bypass it would get sent to Mr Kumar after my 1st appointment at Heartlands. I do hope my referral turns up soon. It was mailed to Heartlands on the 12th.

hi jez
i am having a gastric band fitted at the heartlands by mr super but it took them a while to sort out my dates as my paperwork went missing. But hang in there i am having it fitted 7th july 09 so am on the countdown now.Hope it goes well for you.
Dawn

Hi there Dawn,
I have just left you a message on your blog entry then noticed you had left me one here.. lol
I am going for my 1st appointment tomorrow at Heartlands and seeing a Dr Taheri, he is the clinical consultant for the obesityweight loss surgery clinic. I was told on the phone that he will decide who I see next etc.. Did you have to see him also? How long has it taken from gp referral to your opp date? Did you have to go to weight management clinic etc?

Congratulations on getting your date for your opperation... xx

Back