• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi (James Cook)

Andrea1995

Hi there, i have just been referred by my GP to James Cook educational seminar.

Has anyone else been to this. Anyone have any idea on the time frame or whst happens next :)?

Thankyou

Hi welcome, I can't help you with your question, but wanted to say hi. Maybe trying doing a search of the Forums for James Cook or seminars. Good luck xx

Hi and welcome. Can’t help with James Cook I had my surgery at Washington so not far from there Good luck with your journey hun xx

Hi Andrea,

Is this the first stage of your weight loss Journey? Have you gone through all the weight management process?
I was referred to weight loss management in Middlesbrough in November 2016. The waiting list was quite long and I didn’t have the appointment until March.
By the time I saw Dr Arut, I had already lost the required weight loss to be put forward for surgery. He said I needed to either maintain my loss or lose more by 3 months, if I did that then I would be put forward for surgery.
I continued to lose, and they gave me the go ahead for weight loss surgery.

I had the seminar appointment in January this year.
You have Mr Dresner who explains the procedure.
Then you have a nurse that speaks and goes through the multi disciplinary team process.
And then the dietician explains what to expect after the surgery.
And they usually have someone who has had surgery to come in and tell you about their experience and the pros and cons, just so you have a well informed decision.

After I went to that I had to make sure my diabetes was stable.
You also have to see a psychologist to make sure you are ready and don’t have any issues with binge eating etc.

You see a dietician.

And you have to be tested for sleep aponea.

By the time I was done with all that, it was May.
So it is quite lengthy.

I got my date for August this year.
And then I got a phone call to say they needed to cancel but they brought it forward.

I had my surgery 27th July 2018.
Sometimes I think it was a long process because I was waiting to get it done, but I guess in reality I got through it quite fast.

My diabetes had a massive surge before my surgery, and the team worked so hard to get it down for me.
They really do an amazing job of making sure you are safe.

Mr Dresner is such a wonderful surgeon.
People always said this to me. And the lady said so in the seminar. I have had to see him a few times.
I am currently in hospital at the moment as I’m not well, and he is still working close with me and comes to see me to make sure I am okay.

It’s never good to be in hospital, but after my surgery I felt like I was getting another shot at life. And it inspired me to go to Uni to do nursing. So two months after the surgery I enrolled in college.
Already lost over 3 stone in 3 months.

But, as I said I have had issues following the surgery.

If you do want any more help or advice please feel free to ask me.
There wasn’t anyone on here that could answer my James Cook questions, so I will be happy to help anywhere I can :)

My mum did 12 months of weight management then waited another 12 months cos she got lost in the system BUT she maintained all that time and now has her pre op for 12th Dec and surgery date for 20th December :)

I've not done so well and have lost, gained, lost, gained and am nowondering 1 stone under referral weight but 1 stone over my lowest weight on the programme! I have an appt on 12th December and will be starting a vlcd on Sunday to help me lose that stone!

Good luck :)

Back