• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi just got my funding

femfrankie

Shrinking For Sophie
Hi everyone

Just thought I would introduce myself. I am Frances and i live in the central belt o Scotland. i have battled with my weight literally all of my life. Helped along with repeated prescriptions of steroid treatment due to Asthma. I enquired 4 years ago about surgery intervention with my GP but was told that there was nowhere in Scotland that did WLS :( & to be honest I just gave up trying after that... there was nothing left for me to try!
Earlier this year I was looking at the possibility of having to succumb to being confined to a wheelchair when my knees and my steroid weakened muscles took umbrage to the 27 stone of weight, they were carrying and decided to fail me big style.
The osteopath would not operate due to my size and the risks associated. But its thanks to him that I am where I am today for it was he that asked if I had Ever thought about WLS, & would it be okay if he contacted the bariatric consultant on my behalf?" Of course I agreed. I was skeptical that this would go any further than this conversation. That was in March and in late May I received a phone call from my GP to say that he had received word from Dr Maclean the consultant who had indeed contacted the bariatric consultant. My GP was not hopeful though. Despite having a BMI of 61.5 I did not meet the criteria as I am not diabetic.:(. The appointment arrived & with much in-trepidation i prepared for the big NO. My husband and I attended. My consultant could not be more pleasant, understanding and vowed he would fight my corner but in the meantime i would need to show willing by trying to lose weight myself.
5 months later bringing us to the present I have attended my first appointments at Ross Hall and was informed I had been given funding:happy036: initially I will be fitted with a balloon for 6 months and all going well further funding will be sought for a gastric bypass prior to the balloon removal. No dates given yet and I next see mr Stuart mid January so I will hopefully get some dates to work with then.
I am both happy and scared which is why I am here :)

Looking forward to chatting to everyone

:thankyou:

Frances

Well done Frances you are on the way now

Thank you ... Must admit I am finding the portion control at dinnertime difficult but I have been good so far. Not used to having a lunch and finding it a bit alien to eat "a meal" during the daytime but as regular small high protein meals are imperative for success I am perservering and winning :).
Getting funding came as a complete surprise and its like I have been given all my Christmases early .... talking about Christmas ... this year is going to be difficult as everyone always come to our house for the festivities so there is no escape! and I am an avid baker who loves cooking and tasting :sigh: ... Apart from cancelling the festivities which is a no go how do people here cope with similar situations?

Frances

hey frances ...well done !!!! first steps .....as for xmas how about doing urself some boxes of treats for the day .portion controlled of course but if u know they r there and can have them when u wish ill betcha u wont want to eat so much .just keep thinkin of the future .more weight u can lose beforehand the better .remember we have to climb onto that surgeons table ..go for gold xxxxxx

Welcome to the forum Francis its filled with lots of info which will be benefical to you. Well done on getting your funding for the balloon and fingers crossed for your by-pass. Lovely to meet you. xx

thanks all & thanku for the advice highspirit. Little treat parcels on christmas day ... sounds like a plan :)

Back