• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Journey over before it even began.

Susie-Sue

Well I had my consultation today and can honestly say it was not what I expected. My husband said he wanted to come with me and I'm so glad he did otherwise I may have doubted what I was being told.
From the outset the consultant was brutally blunt! He constantly said it was a radical step to have a band. He asked about previous attempts to lose weight then told me life with a band would never be the same. I wouldn't be able to have meals out, gave a huge list of things I wouldn't be able to eat ever,but the two things he said which hit home most, were that the loss would be very slow and I would probably only lose 2 stones over the two years, and that if I over ate, I would either vomit or the pouch would burst and I would die! The whole consultation was all about the negatives, there was nothing positive at all. He said I had to go home and seriously think if that's the life I wanted and wouldn't take a decision today. As soon as we got in the car my husband said " he obviously doesn't think you should have the op". I totally agreed with him as that was my impression too. Because he put the fear of God in us I've decided not to go ahead, I can't explain how utterly devastated I feel tonight. I'm not stupid, I had read lots and lots about the procedure before embarking on this journey, and I respect him for being brutally honest, I just thought there would have been more of a balanced view. Looks like it's back to Slimming World for me.....

I lost 8 stone with my band but he is right it can be a very hard way to live but if you adhere to the rules (I didn't so did have a slipped band with erosion through vomiting) then there is no reason why you wouldn't be successful.
Did he not advocate any other types of surgery or sleeve, bypass etc maybe he isn't a gastric band fan?

As horrific as it may have been if im honest he needed to say some of the worst things that could go wrong but just look how successful the wls as been for many many more people! I think judging by what some people say its not always how they think it will turn out , after all its a tool to work with not a magic wand .once you get over the shock of how brutal he was you go back to the research board , find a different or better still go back to the same guy show him that your sure you want wls and your ready for what ever throws your way that would be one in his eye!
I wish you luck

Last edited:
I agree with Los. There are many successful banders on here but it is not for everyone. Maybe with his expertise he assessed you were one of those people. Also i would not call what he said 'negative' but maybe realistic is an alternative. Any type of WLS is going to be a challenge, and require drastic changes to our habits, issues, rituals, routines and/or patterns around food which led us to the operating table. It is rather shocking that he did not offer an alternative procedure to you though! I know people who have gone to see a consultant about a band, but have been guided towards a more permanent solution such as the bypass which is considered the gold standard. I think once you have got yourself back in the zone, I would do what Los says and return saying "ok obviously you don't recommend a band for me, what do suggest as an alternative". Do not walk away ... WLS is not a magic wand in the slightest, and takes courage, participation and determination in order to succeed. I wish you well, and hope you will soon find the positivity to overcome this set-back xxx

I agree..I had a sleeve with a bmi of just under 32 which is low compared to a lot of people here. Just over a year out I have a bmi of 17 having lost 6 stone.
Life has totally changed, it's not like you lose weight and life is normal..my life revolves around food and drink now, when I am going to eat and drink and what I'm going to have and will I get enough protein etc etc! I am now on iron tablets although this is the only deficiency I have so am pleased with that. But at least the consultant was honest with you and what he felt was best..better than taking your money and doing an operation he felt was not right.
Go away and have a think and if it's still what you feel is right go back.
Good luck on your journey and sorry you feel disappointed x

Are you relatively low on the 'overweight' scale or anything Susie? That'd be the only reason I could think of for the consultant putting you off the band but not talking about any of the alternatives.

Everything he said is correct of course and every surgery option has negatives. I dare say that if a consultant only listed the negatives of any surgery option not many people would have surgery. At the end of the day you have to look at the various surgery options and see which you think would best fit your lifestyle. I knew pretty early on that the band would never work for me and I needed some malabsorption to help me along.

In your shoes, if I still felt that surgery was the right way for me to go I'd perhaps look at a consultation with a different surgeon (it's important to feel comfortable with your surgeon for a start off) and perhaps consider *all* the surgery options and ask a new surgeon which he feels would suit you the best.

Susie Sue. I had exactly the same experience as you. I went for a band consultation and was totally put off by the surgeon. He told me that I would never be able to eat bread or steak again and that when I travelled ( I fly long haul a couple of times a year) I would have to take a syringe to decrease the band pressure during the flight! He was very off putting although wrote to my GP saying that he recommended the surgery for me? I too was a fairly low bmi of 32 but years of trying to diet had no effect.

Eventually I saw another surgeon about a gastric sleeve and here are am 11 weeks later, over 2 stone lighter and so much happier. Don't give up hope.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Before taking the step to contact Healthier Weight I did lots and lots of research;joining this forum, I read hundreds of different banders experiences and ups and downs. Going into the consultation I felt well informed, was aware of the risks and that a band was a lifelong commitment to eating differently and healthily. What I wasn't prepared for was the patronising manner in which he spoke to me. Saying things like " I can't make you look like Kate Moss" and " you will have a lifetime of taking a wide range of vitamins and supplements...is that what you want"? wasn't helpful. I really got the impression that he didn't feel that the band was right for me and he saw it as some vanity project. I'm 59, 5'3" and weighed in at 16st 8; I've been dieting since the age of 15. The only other method he talked about was xenical which I have already tried. Also, the figures regarding weight loss and risk he quoted did not compare with the information from HW. Why? Of course he needed to be brutally honest, (he actually stated that he wasn't there to sell me something), I just expected a more balanced summary of the process. Tbh my husband was impressed and after hearing what he said advised me not to go ahead. So that's where I am tonight, thank you for listening and good luck to you all in reaching and maintaining your goals xx

Go see someone else about surgery if you are that set on it..if another surgeon says the same then I would accept what they are saying. With you weight and height I am surprised you are being turned away,

I would defo get a second opinion which surgeon did you see or was it just with one of healthier weight staff? Xx

Crikey!!....what that consultant said was awful.

Every op has risks but to say those things in that context is absurd.

Coincidently, I went for a consultation with healthier weight and didn't go with them.

I have however gone with another company x

Hi,

I went for a consultation with healthier weight last week, and last year, I'm about your weight, taller though and never had anything like that said to me. Dr Ashton's you tube videos about the band are very different to what has been said to you. I was told about all the different options available to me sleeve, band and the band was my choice. I also went to THG but I felt a bit more 'sold'. Did you see Dr Aston? Last year he did say it is a tool and not a quick fix, and that you have to work with it otherwise it wont work - but that is the truth. I look at it like this....

I have tried lots of stuff/ diets / hypnotherapy etc etc..... It works for a while then... bam I'm back at it again!! I know the band wont stop the stuff in my head but it will help me by not being able to physically eat as much! The idea that I might not be able to eat bread again scares me.... then I think... put it in perspective ... is that so bad??? I dont drink alcohol or smoke anymore because its bad for my health... I need to think the same about some foods!. There is so much more to life than food... i need to remember that and re discover life!

Good luck with whatever you decide. x

Back