• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting the Journey I need help :-(

Minty84

Hi my name is Lacy,
I'm not sure how to work this site very well :-( I'm a bit lost as I'm at the beginning of my WLS journey and I don't know if I'm doing all the right things, making the right calls etc my journey so far has been...

1st Sept 2011 - referred from GP to King College Hospital
14th March 2012 - Meet with Dr Whitelaw had long discussion with him about surgery and the process etc and had blood tests....
30th March 2012 - Dietician appt spoke about post surgery diet
25th May 2012 - Sleep apnia test (overnight clip :-s)
1st June 2012 - back to clinic I think?

When I had my appt on 14th March with Dr Whitelaw he was very pro me having weighloss surgery and after looking all through my history from my teens he agreed with me that its the last option really, he wasn't worried about funding and said it whouldnt be a problem and that he was one of those that sits on the panel amongst the others and didn't feel I'd have a problem getting it as I meet all the criteria.
- received his letter and he said I'm and excellent candidate for bariatric surgery but is this all talk? When do you normally hear about your funding being approved? I can't get excited about it until I have confirmation that I have the funding and I've seen the surgeon and gone on the waiting list :-(
He also said that the waiting list is approx 6 months does that sound right?

Thanks for listening to me waffling on lol... Appreciate any advice :) x x

Hi Lacy :) you seem to be well on the road to surgery, honey. Is Doctor Whitelaw the surgeon? If so, no surgeon would not tell you this if it wasn't the case. They know who fits the criteria & who doesn't. Also if he is on the funding board, so much the better. Good luck for your SA test & clinic appointment. You will soon be on the road to a slimmer you :) xxx

hiya,im also at kings but ive not heard of that doctor before..i never recieved confirmation of any funding,i was told from my 1st app at kings that if i was there i already had my funding,theres a 6 months wait approx for the band but ive only waited 2 but the bypass has gone up to 18 months as my friend is on that list too xx

Thank you Tracey and twinkle twinkle.....
Dr Whitelaw isn't a surgeon he was just a member of clinic he defo said he's on the panel that's why I'm a little confused :-s and I'm not sure if when I got back on 1st June if its to see a surgeon or to see Dr Whitelaw.
Tracey its so nice ur at KCH too I don't knw anybody who's had any experiences they're so I've been so unsure what I sld be doing! Wow u have ur op this week u must be so excited? How u feeling about it?
I defo need the bypass or sleeve I'm so desperate hope it doesn't take too long :-( 18 months x

i saw a member of the panel too a few months ago not too sure of his name,oops..ive been seeing a lady doctor called beth lately who is soo lovely! maybe theyre saying 18months to ppl to try put them off coz personally i think its wrong to tell people 6 months at the beginning then put it up so long..yeah my surgery is this saturday im excited n nervous at the same time,the surgeon who does everyone at kings is mainly mr patel he'll prob be doing yours too,hes a lovely man,mines just a day op so hopefully ill be home the same day xx

sorry forgot to add when u go to ur next app youll prob be asked what surgery youve chosen and youll be added to the waiting list that same day xx

Hi Lacy, Welcome to the mad house!
I was sleeved at Kings by Avril Chang but I'm sure the process at the Hospital is similar. Apart from the dietician visit what you have described was very similar to my experience so I wouldn't concern yourself too much. I would say be prepared for up to a year wait though if you are looking for funding, as the number of people looking for surgery is getting higher by the day! and fortunately for those of us under Kings it would appear that they are taking obesity seriously and are trying to tackle it head on.
Good luck with the rest of your journey (god I hate that expression:)) and we look forward to welcoming you to the losers bench.

Thanks Tracey that's really helpful! I really hope its not 18 months! Its funny u sld say that re puttn people off cause my original appt for the clinic after referral from GP was Oct this year and then they changed its after waiting a few months to this March instead and I've heard that it can be to see how committed u r :-s god knows lol x
I'm so pleased for u this saturday is guna be the start of ur new life.... I'm in crystal palace if u fancy meetn up for a nice cuppa tea one afternoon....
Hope its goes well and u adjust well :) just think of all the new clothes you can buy whoop! Whoop! Yay X

thankyou :) im not sure if everyones exsperience is diff depending on which pct their with,mine is greenwich pct which is pretty straight forward,i didnt have any app with a dietician either..the plus side of kings also is that they dont put you on any pre op diets :) xx if u have any more questions at anytime plz feel free to email me [email protected]

Hope you find plenty of helpful advice on here Lacy, welcome to the start of your journey, i hope its a smooth one for you hun xxxxx

Back