• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hiatial Hernia and Effect on Bypass ?

Undecided

Hi All

I've just remembered something else.

At my gastroscopy I was told I have a small hiatial hernia. Sorry not told, I saw it in my notes ! Obviously not seen any consultant between then and now to ask about this ...

Soo ...does anyone know what impact this has on having a bypass. If any ?

Hi All

At my gastroscopy I was told I have a small hiatial hernia. Sorry not told, I saw it in my notes ! Obviously not seen any consultant between then and now to ask about this ...

Hi,
I am not an expert by any means but a lot of surgeons nowadays will repair a Hiatus Hernia at the same time as doing the Weight Loss surgery. It shouldn't impact on surgery apart from making it last a little longer and if you read a lot of posts on this forum it has also been said that another consequence can be a slightly larger pouch. I cannot speak for your surgeon though and these are things to discuss with your him prior to your op. No two cases are the same and nothing is written in stone. If you are not due to see your consultant soon, why dont you give his secretary a ring and ask the question.

hi a friend of mine just had her bypass on the 7th may , she had the herna and it was repaired at the time of her opp also, her pouch was also made slighty bigger, i belive this is the norm with this condtion hope this helps
regards steve

Hi, I had my endoscopy today and was told I have a hernia too. Mr Balpuri said not to worry, they will repair it when they do the bypass, he said it just means they need to alter the op a little bit. xxx

i have a small hernia too. Had no idea until I had my endoscopy. Nobody has mentioned doing anything with it or making the pouch bigger!

I wonder if it means more scars. I will ask tomorrow if there is anyone to ask. I don't know if the nurse will know.

i didnt know i had one until the nurse at pre op assessment said and they are going to fix your hernia while he operates - thats nice i thought didnt know i had one. anyway he fixed it no extra scars just a bit more bruising

This has been helpful to me i have an hernia also it was found when i was due to have my gallstones removed, i am going to srh and they did say i would not qualifiy for the band(which i went for in the first place) as the port has to go where the hernia is, i looks like they must mend it at srh cause i did worry about that as well so thank u for the post.

Hi
I saw mr Schroder at srh two weeks ago, was put on the list to have a bypass op in four to six months, I was originally going to have a sleeve but he said he would not do this op because they had found I have a hiatus hernia. I asked about having the hernia repaired but he said he would NOT repair it when he does my bypass. I don't know why? I can't help thinking that if my normal sized stomach can herniate, what is to stop a much smaller bypass pouch from doing the same and will this cause any problems with my bypass, anyone had the same problems, or got any advice.

Hi I was bypassed at SRH in feb. Wanted a sleeve, the camera showed a hernia and acid. Therefore had a bypass without any hernia repair. I haven't had any problems, didn't know I had a hernia until the gastroscopy. So it must be standard practice. Don't worry. X

Thanks Borogirl,
this has helped ease my mind. I should have asked my consultant more questions but I was thrown to be told for the first time I wouldn't be getting the sleeve, I had not prepared myself for a bypass. Mr Schroder is pleasant but very direct which made me feel a little intimidated.

No probs. I asked at my post op appointment but they couldn't really tell me why it wasn't repaired but it hasn't caused me any issues. I thought I was having a sleeve up until the day before my op and I met Mr Balapuri who told me I was to be bypassed. Been the best thing I have ever done! Referred at 20stone 6, 18.5 morning of my op and 12 stone 3 now. Was done Feb this year.
I think surgery is surgery and you have to go Ruth the medical advice given. I really didn't want a bypass as was set in a sleeve but it's been the best thing ever. They do that many, they know what they are talking about. I don't even take Lanzoprazole for heartburn anymore. Good luck, stay focused and the time will fly by. Xx

I have a hiatus hernia too and was told that they may fix at during the op, in the end they didnt. However I've had no problems whats so ever with it and im hoping that with my weight loss it will fix itself. All the research ive done has said that the best way to fix a hernia is to lose weight! So one thing helps the other :)
If in any doubt ask your team, they are extreamly knowledgable and will help you in any way they can.

Hi All

I suffered reflux etc with my h hernia for fifteen years prior to op & the best thing for it was my getting my bypass :) I have not had any bother whatsoever since :D.

hiya
they found a hernia when i was having my op - was totally unaware and i was told they didnt find it when they did the endoscopy cus it didnt go down far enough apparently...

ended up with 3 little slit type 'wounds' and a different sort of cut which i assume is the hernia repair. there isnt much to scar; looks like a bullet hole and has gotten smaller and smaller over the weeks.

was told to take a little more time off work due to the hernia as it took me a little longer to recover to my full capacity but this could also have been because i had some polyp type things removed before the bypass xXx

Back