• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Need Help

misshell

Hi everybody i had my bypass 16 days ago but since the day of my surgery i havent lost any weight :cry:not a single pound and i dont understand it.

During my surgery the surgeon found a nasty hernia which he dealt with and since i have come home i have been in a lot of pain with it, my tummy feels very hard as well. The pain from the actual bypass has been minimal and i think if it wasnt for the hernia i would be pain free. The sight where i was cut for the hernia is really ugly and my stomach has quite a big dent in it :confused:

Straight after my op i only had water from the monday (day of op) till the thursday and then i was allowed a small tea with milk, it was on the friday morning that i started on the liquid diet that i have to be on for four weeks which consits of slim fast or build up or soups and i have been sticking to this ever since so im really at a loss as to why i havent lost a single pound :confused: i know i have been doing as im told so im feeling really upset at the minute :cry:just dont know really what to do. I know i have read a lot of people have not lost anything the first week and have even put on but surely i should of lost something by now??

God Michelle bet your gutted,hopefully you just need to get over the effects of the op then when you start getting your eating sorted out maybe your weight loss will take off.Was you surprised about the hernia or did you have a slight inkling ?its good though that he repaired it cos you would probably of had to go through another op,fingers crossed the weight starts to disappear for you soon.

I don't think it's abnormal for someone not to lose during this time. Your body has a lot of adjusting to do and because you are eating so few calories your whole system has probably gone into starvation mode, slowing right down so your stored supplies last as long as possible. You will no doubt start to lose weight once your calorie intake rises and your metabolism speeds up again and starts letting go of its reserves. This is quite normal and everyones body behaves differently to the next person. Just hang on in there and it will soon start to fall off you. However tempting it is, please don't be weighing every single day, it just gets you frustrated and down.

Love Kate x

Awww so sorry to hear that, you have had a double op then really no wonder its taking a while to get a loss, can understand you are upset with it , i would be too, have you spoken to the doc about it, and had your wound and everything checked out wouldn't have thought your tummy should be rock hard you sure you haven't got an infection? Reassurance from health care professionals might put your mind at rest, don't wait too long. xx

i was 3kg heavier when they weighed me before i left the hospital! its fluid and gas, youve obviously had a bit of a hard time due to having the hernia removed aswell so id say its just your body reacting, get checked out by your GP or call your surgery team to put your mind at rest, take care xx

I think all of us worry those first couple of weeks if we don't lose any weight, but it really is common, in fact a lot of people even put weight on after the surgery.. Give your body time to heal and adjust after such major surgery and to get your calorie intake up and the pounds will start to fall off.. good luck xxx

Thanks for the kind words everybody, i have been to the docs and been put on antibiotics seems i have an infection in my wound sights :sigh: am feeling a bit more posotive today though as it hurts slightly less :)

I had no idea about the hernia when i went in for surgery it was a complete shock when i came round but my surgeon was fantastic and apparantely hernias are his thing lol so i was in the best place so to speak.

I know i will lose weight eventualy because of whats going in, i will just have to be patient and look at the bigger picture. I dont for one second regret having my bypass and know i was very lucky to be able to go private so i have given myself a little talking to.

Thankyou all for your support it really helps x

OOPs ive also noticed that since the pre-op diet i have just updated my weight and have lost 12lb as i had forgotten about that so i have lost some yay

Pleased you got to the docs Misshell, and you now have antibiotics that will help get you on the mend, and hopefully help improve your mood and enable you to cope with the highs n lows of this incredible journey. God bless n take care of yourself xx

What everyone else has said is right, just wanted to say hope you are feeling brighter soon. Unfortunately time and patience is something we need in the beginning, it won't be long before you are seeing results xx

The first couple of weeks after my bypass I didn't lose anything and got really down and quite paranoid about it, which really didn't help me much! After maybe 6 weeks everything took off. I totally agree with previous posts in that this operation kicks the whatnot out of you and your body needs some major time to re-adjust to what's happened to it. Main thing is not to get disheartened. Look after your infections, keep with the diet. I don't know if you're weighing yourself every day? I did and it didn't help - go by your clothes instead. And don't be hard on yourself as you've been through a heck of a lot.

Back