• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hibernation Syndrome

Katastrophe

Love My Bypass !
Found this today, makes for interesting reading and has helped me understand what our bodies go through in the first few weeks after surgery.

It explains so simply why we have weight loss stalls :D

I'm yet to have my surgery but finding this kind of information will hopefully prepare me for the next few weeks.

HIBERNATION SYNDROME

After WLS, you may be feeling tired and become depressed. When you are several weeks post op, and are either on a liquid diet or you are eating many fewer calories than you were pre op, this depression and inactivity can become more pronounced.

All you want to do is sleep, you may have crying spells, you may begin to believe that the surgery was a mistake, or you may think 'what in the world have I done to myself?

All these feelings are completely normal and, to a certain extent, are to be expected. The low number of calories you are eating produces what many of us call the 'hibernation syndrome' and your depression and feelings of despair,are a direct result.

During the weeks immediately following surgery, our body starts to notice that we are not taking in enough calories. It doesn't know we've had WLS, or that it's the year 2000. Our body is missing food, thinks this is a famine, and struggles to conserve our energy. The human body reacts like it always has in a famine; it makes us depressed--so we don't have the motivation to do anything, and it makes us tired--so we don't have the energy to do anything. In this way, we will conserve as many calories as possible and remain alive.

You can see the practical value of this as our bodies have been living through famines, snowstorms, and other periods of unstable food supply for centuries.

This stage can last several weeks. Our discomfort is compounded as we are, at this same time, trying to recover from major surgery, adopt new eating habits, and deal with a liquid or soft diet. To get out of this stage, our body has to say to itself 'gee, this famine is lasting a bit too long. If I keep conserving my energy with inactivity, I will starve to death. I'd better use my last store of energy (the remaining fat and muscles in our body) to hunt up some food'. At this point, our body will switch from getting energy from food, to getting energy from our fat (and muscle too if we don't eat enough protein and that is what we want.

In order to deal with this difficult transition period, tell yourself that you're right on track; this is exactly what is normal and to be expected.

Tell yourself that, in a few weeks, this will pass, and you will feel like a completely new person. We all seem to turn the corner about 4-6 weeks post op. Then, your mood will lighten and, with your weight loss starting to add up, you'll feel more positive and have a better outlook on life. Just keep telling yourself that you will not always feel this way! You WILL be back to feeling like your old self. Just give it time!

Gastric Bypass Family

Interesting reading! Thanks for posting it xx

You're welcome :)

I'm a bit obsessed with finding any information i can at the moment so if i find anything worth sharing i will :D

Very good post, tbh it sums up how i am feeling 100% at the mo thanks for posting xx

This is a fantastic post...really helpful to me just over a week post op! Thanks so much x

Just want to say thanks for this post too. I am pre op, expecting to have surgery end of June beginning of July, so every item you are discovering is really helping me too, thanks so much, and keep it up, I am saving them all in a file for me to look at when I need to. xxxx

thanks for posting :)

Only just seen this, it's so true and I'm sure being pre warned about how down you can feel is going to help. thanks for posting Kat.

Back