• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hiccups - very painful...

simplylucy

I'm on day 8 since my surgery now.

Over the last couple of days I keep having regular spells of hiccups.

They are very painfull, and not nice at all.

I'm sipping slowly and not glugging my drinks, I eat slowly, very slowly so I don't know why I keep getting them.

Did anyone else suffer with hiccups post op?

Any tips for getting rid of them?

sounds like you might be taking in too much fluid in one go or it could just be you! Ive had them a couple of times since surgery and they are violent. I take a huge breath in, as much as I can and then let it out really slowly - count from 10 to 1 and then relax - that should get your diaphragm back in sync. How come you are eating after 8 days - should still be on fluids.

I found the only time i get hiccups is when my pouch is full and its my full sign... I do a few really stupid ones which sound between hiccups and burps and they can be quite painful, so I would suggest that you try and drink / eat just that little bit less and see if that helps.... I get them if I am really full, which is not that often now as I have learned to know when I have had enough before being too stuffed..

Hope this makes sense...

Back