• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

hiya newbie here

MrsSquirty

hiya all..

Im Lindsay
Im 27, am married to mike, and have 4 wonderful children (3 boys 1 girl) ages 9, 7, 3 and 1

well.. where do i start..

in my teens i was the total other end of the scale, i was anorexic, i was about 8st (which is not good at 5ft8) and i looked like death so my family tell me.

i got pregnant at 18 and my relationship with food totally changed, i wanted to eat for my baby. and once he was born i didnt stop.

I am now pretty much 17 st, and there is a big part of me that thinks "i was anoreciz once i can do it again" but i dont want to, i wasnt happy then, but im not happy now.

I have been to my GP for help with my weight, i have done WW, SW and slim fast and i was even put my NHS WHY WEIGHT

the only one to work for me was slim fast, the others i gained on!

When i saw my GP i asked for help with weight loss, told him that going by the NICE guidelines iv read online i do currently qualify for surgery in my area (bmi over 35 with existing health complaints)
my GPs response was a sudden change in tone (from a happy "hi lindsay how are you what can we help you with" to an angry "YOUR NOT FAT ENOUGH, IS THAT ALL?")

I really want to loose the weight because its having a huge impact on my health..

I have a joint condition called Hypermobility Syndrome.. its where your joints are over active and so they wear out quicker, being over weight does not help the situation.

I am currently suffering depression as well, and the GP did put me on tablets for it but i stopped taking them because i felt like a robot.
im at the point where i think a lot about self harm because i hate the way i look.

as i said, iv tried diets, they didnt help, im currently doing slim fast again because its the only thing that did work for me, but i know its not ideal.

im at a loss as to what else i can try.

i dont know who else i can turn to.

at the moment my weight is just creeping up and up, and my depression and joint pain is getting worse and worse.

sorry to ramble on, its not the short and sweet little "hiya im new" i was hoping to give, i just kinda went off on one then.

thank you for reading if you have gotten this far.

I look forawrd to getting to know you all :)

Lindsay
xxXXxx

hiya lindsay, thats quite a journey you have had, i had a long battle with my gp to get refered for surgery, but eventually he cracked and refered me, im now 6 weeks post op and feel so much better, i really hope you get your surgery, feel free to add me on facebook xx

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear what s time of it you've hadx

hiya, ty for the welcome.

tbh im a bit put off going back to my GP, im shy anyway and the way his attitude just changed really knocked me

i need to build myself up to going and trying again. hopefully see a different GP.. i dunno if a female would be more sympathetic?

Hi Mrssquirty. Alot of us on here have had not very understanding GP's. Me being one of them. My doctor is lovely but she had no idea about wls at all.
I have suffered with depression on and off for years. How long did you stay on your meds for?
Me personally, I find it takes at least two months to feel the benefits of anti-depressants. But I understand that it doesn't suit everyone.
Defo see another doctor. It helps to go in armed to the eyeballs with information!
Good luck!
xxx

Hi

I didnt want to read and run. Sorry you are having a bad time. There are plenty of people arround here I am sure that will be able to answer questions and give support me included. Just wanted to say hi and welcome to here.

All the best
Jo
xx

hi...welcome...

im new here too.... :) and have been made very welcome..

sorry you have been met with negativity... dont give up..x

ty again for welcome,

have been lurking on a few of the message boardss havinng a read here and there.

I was on the ADs for 7 months, i told the dr i didnt want to take them any more as they made me feel like a robot, dr didnt seem bothered one way or t'other

im going to go bk again once kids are back at school, not easy with 4 screaming kids when tryoing to talk to gp

ty again and casnt wait to get to know u all

Hi and welcome. The support on here is fantastic, so I hope you feel as welcome as I did.

I also suffered from depression etc. People think u r so happy but deep down they have no idea.
All I can say was this op was the best thing I ever did. It forces you to take stock of your life and how you view food.

But still, everyday is a new day and I am still adjusting. Just take one day at a time.

Hi, I only joined a few days back and this place is a treasure. I am sure it will help you get things off your mind. Good luck with another doctor, the other one sounded a right plank!! x

Hi Lindsay and Welcome. Good Luck with your weightloss journey. If you have any questions there will always be someone here with the answer for you.

welcome hun, and good luck with your journey! xx

dont give up! if you read the forum you'll see many people have a battle with their GP's!

Honestly speaking though, my bmi was 46 and i was refused surgery on the NHS (just not fat enough, and too fit for a fatty would you believe!) so i paid for the surgery privately.

Read as much as you can and research, research research! then go back to the GP (who probably has little or no knowledge of weight loss surgery) and give it to him.

Good luck on your journey!

x

Hi and welcome,
I agree with the others go back to the surgery see a different dr and talk through the anti depressants and see if they can be changed I believe that different ones can help if the first or even the 5th lot don't help it may take some time but eventually there should be one that helps you with out the robot feeling or any other side effects. (I may of course be talking utter rubbish as never had them myself only going on hearsay).
As for the WLS I assume you are under a consultant for your joint problems, could you get him or her to write to your GP asking for you to be refered for surgery as part of their treatment for the joint problem. My arthritis consultant did that as it would be cheaper than 2 new knee joints and the resultant replacements for the replacemants as I am only 45 so will apparently need several replacements before I pop my cloggs according to him. (see my diary for all the boring trials and tribulations to get to my current pre-op stage).
I hope this and the rest of the lovely ladies and gents on here help you find the courage to stand and fight for the help you need. Penny

Back