• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Holiday and alcohol.

mandym1

For the first time in a long time I am thinking of booking a holiday. We are thinking of Kefalonia, Greece sometime in September. I will be 2 months out of surgery by that point. Now I know a lot of you are not drinkers but I was before surgery and hope to be able to enjoy a few drinks again at some point. I dont mean getting legless just a few glasses of wine with our evening meal. So my question is do you think 2 months is too soon to be thinking of drinking?

I personally am giving myself 6 months becuase the Dietician said the first 6 months is crutial for weight loss and you will never get that first 6 months back and alcohol is empty calories, but she did say that after 2 months is fine but she would recommend 6 months.

Hope this helps, Karen x

Its your hols so try a drink before you go,I would say a spritzer,loads of ice and stir like crazy.Tbh you might not enjoy it so try something non alcoholic/fizzy.

I had thought to myself that I would have no alcohol for 6 months and was happy with that. I'm only asking now because the chance of this holiday has come up. I can go and not drink but just thought I would see what you guys think.. I wont do anything that will affect my health but I want to make an informed decision.

hello mandy im 6 weeks today post op and really liked a drink before my op, last friday was my first drink since the op i had 1 very small gin and tonic fri sat and sun and was fine, it was barely a cap full of gin and i will have the same every weekend if i feel like it, yes alcohol is empty calories but as long as i dont over do it i feel fine with what im doing but every one is different and you need to follow your own path xxxxxxx

I am 15 weeks out and I had my first boozy drink on Friday for my birthday.
I selected a single gin and slimline tonic with lots of ice.

I asked for a paddle/stir-er to get rid of most of the fizz and I sipped it slowly, I made it last over an hour. I had no adverse side effects and although I didn't get tipsy, I did feel quite chilled :)

My advice is to take it easy/slow and choose low cal and low fizz options.

Enjoy your hols

Jay

Hi Mandy

I was told 4-6 months by the bariatric nurse at my 6 week check up. Like you I really enjoyed alcohol before the op but I think I may wait until I've had my six month check up with the surgeon xx

Hi Mandy

Kafalonia is beautiful, you will love it!

I'm a bander but I'm sure I have read that wine really makes some bypassers tipsy very quick.

Trying some at home seems a good idea x

For the first time in a long time I am thinking of booking a holiday. We are thinking of Kefalonia, Greece sometime in September. I will be 2 months out of surgery by that point. Now I know a lot of you are not drinkers but I was before surgery and hope to be able to enjoy a few drinks again at some point. I dont mean getting legless just a few glasses of wine with our evening meal. So my question is do you think 2 months is too soon to be thinking of drinking?

Why not call your surgeon tomorrow and ask him what he thinks

Yes I think I will Karl, fingers crossed x

Same as you I loved a drink! Vodka o clock started the weekend proper!
Like Karen I was told two months out is fine, but best avoid for six months. It's my "brother in law's" wedding in September, I intend on trying something small and low alcohol for the toast. Nothing before then and aim for nothing after too for a while! Hope you have a lovely holiday!!. X

Yes vodka is my usual tipple too, but I also like wine. I would only drink this one week on holiday and will stop when I get back, as I had initially planned on no alcohol until at least Christmas. I might just have this 1 week as a treat if my team say its ok. I probably wont like ot or only be able to handle 1 or 2 anyway but it will just nice to have the choice. x

Sounds like a Damn good plan! It's all very exciting!!! X

Now just to trim some fat off my butt so I can get in the plane seat without an extension :D x

I bet you'll be fine!! You'll be strolling round the pool in a bikini! X

Ha ha I wish!! Maybe next year though :D. I will just be happy with being more comfortable on this one. I stopped going in holiday because of my weight and miss it so much. We used to go everywhere from the Carribean, Malaysia to South America and there are so many more places I want to see.. its great to know my travels can start up again.. now I just need to win the lottery x

Ok, I have found alcohol goes to your head alot quicker...I am over 3 years post op and still my limit is 3/4 vodkas....I waited a year before drinking due to the carbonation. A little tip, carry a metal tea spoon in your bag, takes the fizz out very quickly. Have one and see how you go, but be advised....alcohol will make you gain weight as I have seen on a wine drinker at one of my groups and another lady had to have the bypass redone due to drinking bitter and stretching her stomach, she is also 3 years post op and is still weighing over 16st, she never achieved her weight loss goal. Please be careful.

Mandy x

Back