• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hooooowwwww Lonnnngggg?

Hi All was hoping some of you may have some super words of wisdom for me. I'm new to the site and I started my journey in January 2011. I attended the seminar in February and had my dietician appointment in June 2011. When I attended my June appointment I was told that it would be approx 4 months before my Consultant appointment. After waiting and waiting I was given a date of January 2012 for my Consultant appointment. I was told they were happy for me to maintain my weight until next appointment. Since June I have been ticking off the days and even joined a slimming club to help me along the way to my next appointment only to receive a letter today saying it has been cancelled and rescheduled for June 2012. This is going to be 18 months since I started my journey before I even get to see a consultant. I know I wont be the only person that feels this but I cant see light at the end of the tunnel. What added insult to injury was that I was told the private waiting list was only approx 3 weeks. I cant explain how I'm feeling, its like my whole life is on hold. I hate myself for getting this way in the first place....

... Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Victoria xx

Hi & Welcome Victoria :) Can you tell us where you live & which hospital you are under so someone in your area will be able to assist you more .. good luck, sweet xx :):)

I'm sorry there's nothing I can say to make it any better, but at least you're on the treadmill. I waited from Nov 2009 until Sept 2011 to see a surgeon, I really do know how you feel, but I think it's worth the wait. Use the time to lose weight, do your research and get yourself healthier and fitter so you come through the surgery safely.
Good luck hun xx

Hey babe-I'm sorry if I'm being a '****' by telling u this but I paid for mine and was done from consultation to op in 2 weeks. I'm only sharing cos I really feel for you and it sucks that money talks for what I consider to be health related not cosmetic surgery. I hope u get there as soon as you can. Xxxx

Hi hunni. I'm under SRH as well, and I'm afraid that this is typical of them. The only condolence is that once you see the consultant, the wait between appointments gets shorter. My journey began way back.... I had my seminar June 2010, Dietician September 2010 and my next appointment was July 2011 with the consultant! I then had my endoscopy September 27th and am now (finally) on the waiting list.
Good luck with your journey, and hopefully things are moving quicker these days.

I started my journey in January 2011. I attended the seminar in February and had my dietician appointment in June 2011. ......... After waiting and waiting I was given a date of January 2012 for my Consultant appointment. ........ only to receive a letter today saying it has been cancelled and rescheduled for June 2012. This is going to be 18 months since I started my journey before I even get to see a consultant.

Hi Victoria,

1. Get pro-active and start phoning every week or two to find out if there are any cancellations for earlier first consultant appointments -- ask if there are any other surgeons or registrar lists working other days.

2. Befriend your local Bariatric Co-ordinator contact her/him by e-mail to check as well.

I also started my journey Jan 2011 -- initially my longest wait was for the "info day" / education session -- that was a 6 month wait, but after that 3 months before I saw a consultant (September).

At that point I had never taken the pro-active route (which someone else suggested to me whilst I was waiting 6 months for the education session), and just accepted appointments as they arrived.

However, after my first consultant appointment (September) and receiving my surgery review date (16 Jan 2012) I then found that my sleep apnoea test was not due to be done within time (it needs to be done and the results known before 16 Jan or that appointment will be put back) .... so for the first time I got pro-active and rang the department who do the sleep apnoea / lung function test and they offered me an alternative (earlier) date.

Sometimes you have to push a bit. Also if it is large numbers of private surgeries pushing back the appointments for those on the NHS list ... the hospital will keep doing it, if you take it lying down. Only by getting a bit assertive and querying exceptional long delays are you likely to be speeded up !!

GOOD LUCK !!!

Hi i'm sorry to hear you have been put back. I've saw a few thread on here all experiencing what you are. They have been moved from jan to July. All I can say is try not to get too upset (it's hard I know) Sunderland's team are very very good but they have never ending waiting list (everyone gets funding not like other PCT)

Hopefully you won't have to wait that long x

Hi sorry about the put back I think everyones journey is different depending on where you live mine has been almost 3 yrs so far I did everything with my dr to tick all the boxes - medication, weight management, lifestyle coach etc and after a gruelling 8 months he applied for funding . Several months later got a letter from pct saying had to do weight management at hospital, did 8 months had sleep apnoea test last nov, been on cpap since feb, had to really fight to see psychologist as almost a year later still had no appt, eventually got funding through in August and saw consultant beginning of this month and am now on waiting list, Yippee whilst at that appointment there were some people who I chatted with that had only been in the system for a couple of months or so and were at the same stage either my pct are completely poo or maybe I just got lost in it somewhere, I wish you every success and urge you to continue I was becoming despondent but can now finally see light at the end good luck to you and everyone else who's still waiting xx

Is there anyone else been put back this long?

Hi hun i am really shocked that you are with srh, i was told there are getting through there list fast thats why i am havin my surgery 3 months after my endoscopy:rolleyes:. i would ring them hun and just question it, also ask to be put on the short list i have heard of some people that have do this, hope u get it sorted chick and i get your appoinment sooner
Take care xx

GUTTED does not even describe how I feel as am in the same situation. My January appointment is put back to the end of May! this will be exactly a year between nurse and consultant. Also found out they had put the wrong consultants name on first appointment anyway!

I do worry that they are putting the more profitable private patients first.

will just keep plodding on and hopefully it will speed up from here on in.

And as far as I am concerned SRH are getting slower!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi hunni. I'm under SRH as well, and I'm afraid that this is typical of them. The only condolence is that once you see the consultant, the wait between appointments gets shorter. My journey began way back.... I had my seminar June 2010, Dietician September 2010 and my next appointment was July 2011 with the consultant! I then had my endoscopy September 27th and am now (finally) on the waiting list.
Good luck with your journey, and hopefully things are moving quicker these days.

jema i have been looking at yours dates and they are nearly identical to my lol, i had seminar in june 2010, dietician september 2010, then consultants appointment was a bit different i had mine in january 2011, then my endoscopy on the 2nd september 2011, and now operation 6th december, i think i will be getting your date very soon and will prob just miss me in hospital, never notice before we were at the seminar together :)

i dont think sunderland do private surgery, i thought privates went to spires. x

Hi hun i am really shocked that you are with srh, i was told there are getting through there list fast thats why i am havin my surgery 3 months after my endoscopy:rolleyes:. i would ring them hun and just question it, also ask to be put on the short list i have heard of some people that have do this, hope u get it sorted chick and i get your appoinment sooner
Take care xx

Alison, the list for surgery is getting shorter so the list for appointments are getting longer.

xx

Hi i got a letter from sunderland too saying that they have put back my appointment with the consultant from jan to june. I am so upset , i went to the seminar in jan 2011, nurse appointment in may and i was so excited that the consultant appointment was near but like you i cant understand why, so i rang and they just said that he was on call and they apologised. I just want to stamp my feet and scream but i will keep healthy eating and just keep hope we dont have to wait too long :)

Back