• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How am i going to cope with my pouch at xmas

Loving the Loop

If you have read my diary you will know I am doing pretty well with my pouch, I am sticking to the rules and I'm really happy with my results to date.

I am just a little worried that the upcoming festive period is going to present a lot of potential land mines as historically its a time off major overindulgence for me, and as I don't drink its usually all food related.
I am certain that I am not going to be the only one in this position as we are all here for a reason after all ;).

There are lots of concerns coming up from nights out and sweets and treats available everywhere to xmas and boxing day dinners and leftovers, I know you can all imagine.

Any ideas for ways to navigate the next couple of months would be much appreciate. I know you are a creative bunch and there will be some suggestions I hadn't thought about and can use.

Last edited:
I think the main thing is not to put too much pressure on yourself.....you've done so fantastic till now nothing will be much different if you stay strong and stick to the rules.....

Its hard if you have lots of family or occasions.... its easier not to have the stuff around but trust me you will find it easier than you think :)

x x x x am pretty sure there will be lots of hints and tips on there way x x x

Last year was my first Christmas with my new tummy I decided not to go on my annual staff night out in a very fancy golf club silver service band 4 course dinner the whole deal but did have a very small Christmas meal( 1slice of Turkey 2roasties 3 sprouts 1 pig in blanket) and ate about 3/4 of that and really enjoyed it! I guess I'm trying to say make wise choices,pick the things you like the most and enjoy them a smaller meal is just as tasty as a gut buster meal from yester year!

I'm only going to be on puréed food so what I've decided is to do Xmas at home just the four of us. I'm putting all the food in the middle of the table and let the children and hubby take what they require then I'm going to bliz my meal. The only other day I've got yo do is a huge family event Boxing Day and there will be 40 but I think I'm going to be able to hide it.

Just think of it as only 1 meal you will need to forgo but next year you will be able to share that special occasion with your family and really enjoy it plus with the upcoming boxing day do,everyone would be so stuffed up from the day before I guess everyone will be sick of Christmas food and just want egg and chips!

Last year was my first Christmas with my new tummy I decided not to go on my annual staff night out in a very fancy golf club silver service band 4 course dinner the whole deal but did have a very small Christmas meal( 1slice of Turkey 2roasties 3 sprouts 1 pig in blanket) and ate about 3/4 of that and really enjoyed it! I guess I'm trying to say make wise choices,pick the things you like the most and enjoy them a smaller meal is just as tasty as a gut buster meal from yester year!

Staff meals out are the first problem, I have one with my old office, one with the new office and my section usually have a lunch out as well.

The actual Christmas day dinner I think should be ok, your meal last year looks about what I was thinking myself though a bit of stuffing might find its way to my plate as well. Might have my starter prawn cocktail starter at 12.00 and the main meal at the usual time of 4.00, and some cheese and oatcakes around 8.00 that's 3 courses so not missing out,lol

Last edited:
I'm only going to be on puréed food so what I've decided is to do Xmas at home just the four of us. I'm putting all the food in the middle of the table and let the children and hubby take what they require then I'm going to bliz my meal. The only other day I've got yo do is a huge family event Boxing Day and there will be 40 but I think I'm going to be able to hide it.

Don't know if I could manage pureed Christmas dinner, and you'll have to cook the families as well OMG, puts my concerns in perspective.
Still you are getting a great early Christmas present so it is worth it, I know mine has been.

I'm going to my works do, but I explained that I can't eat a 3-course set menu and it'd be more cost effective if I could just order a starter off the a la carte.

Christmas Day; well I'm just doing a very small Christmas with my Mum and partner. None of us have a sweet tooth so avoiding the usual treats will be easy. Also, I'm only off work for the public holidays so there won't be a prolonged period of being around the house.

The other social eating out events I just intend to avoid set Xmas menus and just order starters. Avoiding alcohol isn't hard as I'm in a very rural area so generally half the people at any event are having to drive so not drinking.

Last year I refused to have any treats in the house, I told everyone to not buy me or the kids(!) chocolates or sweets & booked a holiday to avoid mums house of temptation. Unfortunately I took mum on said holiday, so I had to try to limit myself to a little.
I'm not looking forward to the temptation this year as its a full blown family event at mums.
I was thinking of rewarding myself every time I said 'no' with a £1 in a jar & then buy myself something nice in the sales.

I must admit I am not looking forward to meals around the festive period, esp as I am my parents carer and have to do all the cooking whilst I will be on the purée stage, but I look at it this way it's only a meal and next year I will be a slimmer me and will be able to enjoy it much better

I have been out for three 3 course meals since being sleeved in July. These were all in Sep too so only a couple of months out. I basically ate a bit of every course as it is quite slow and just didn't care. I was with people I didn't know too well so I guess they thought I was just fussy. Also I have told everyone that he way I am losing weight is to have toddler size portions. As for drinking I had a single glass of prosecco over the whole meal, tiny little sips.

I am not sure if this is the best advice but it worked for me. Christmas is only once a year so I intend to relax and tell myself that I don't need to binge anymore because I can have this kind of stuff any time I want!!

Last christmas I was only just on normal textured food, at christmas. I was asked if I wanted to go on my works xmas do and I declined as I didn't want to pay the cost as I was only going to have a couple of spoon fulls of each of the three courses, how ever this year I have three xmas meals booked, but will miss xmas day as I am working the late shift at the local hospital, just enjoy christmas with your family and next year you willl be able to go on works xmas meals and be able to cope better with food choices and textures

Christmas dinners are fine if you're out and about. You could always have half a starter of say prawn cocktail and then a small amount of your main meal. I reckon you could manage half a main meal with a very small starter. Or you avoid starter and dessert and just see how you get on with the main. Restaurant portions aren't often massive!

I eat out every week and have two starters which suits me nicely, but at Xmas I plan to do the above. Sometimes I'll have a starter and then cheese and biscuits like I did last week and that was fine too.

Xmas day I won't have a starter, just Xmas dinner which I LOVE! I have bought a sugar free pudding for dessert which I'll have with custard (home made) probably an hour after my dinner. Cheese and crackers later for tea! A few nuts and crisps may pass my lips as its Xmas too :)

I plan to enjoy myself eating nice treats without hurting myself!! Xmas is a time to enjoy and January is a time to get back on track :) x

Back