• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How are we all coping with the holidays?

ravelling

Grateful bypasser
Christmas was always an extended, legitimised period of total excess for me!

Nine months post op, this is my first 'clean' Christmas and, so far, it's been good.

I went on the staff night out from work without incident - had a few drinks and only some of one of the courses of the meal.

I've avoided the temptation of the cakes, sweets and biscuits at home and at work. The smell of chocolate has been bothering me a bit, I must admit. It is a real trigger for me. I know I must never let myself eat chocolate again. I can't do it in moderation so, just for today, I won't have any.

Yesterday, I had a few glasses of wine and a small portion of Christmas dinner. I paced myself well and had some sugar-free jelly and cream whipped with Splenda while the others had their deserts. I didn't feel deprived.

Last night, I went to bed without feeling totally sick, bloated and sedated with sugar - for the first Christmas since I can remember. I liked the feeling.

This morning, I did 30 minutes on my Wii Fit plus then walked with my DH to the shop to get some milk and came back the 'long' way. It was a good start to the day. The rest of the day, I plan to veg in front of the TV and chill with family.

The old way of celebrating the season has had to go, but I'm learning that I can do it the new way - no-one has commented, I don't feel resentful and I don't have that awful sugar-hangover I always had.

Here's to the new ways!

How is everyone else coping?

I'm only one week post op. So I am on liquids. I've got my family over (some of which know about the op and some don't). Saturday was really hard. My head said I was hungry but I knew that I wasn't really. I am keeping in mind that this time next year i will look better, feel better and will be able to join in a damned sight more!

I'm doing pretty well. Little exercise but eating has been fine as I can't eat much anyway. Plus I've been working.

But this morning I had my first bacon sandwich in 18 months.

I've had egg sarnies on toast but we're really really busy at work so they just laid on a load of sausage/bacon/eggs and put loafs of bread down. It's first time I've not had my bread toasted and it went down fine. Definitely filled me up.

Do feel a little guilty but hey, it's not going to kill me :)

Same here, had a great day without all of the gorging that usually accompanies Xmas for me :D I still enjoyed it all and didnt feel deprived really. Being slim is deffinately the way forward lol :D XX

Absolutely tickety boo had a small prawn cocktail and a small dinner .Finally felt normal not needing the mountain of food that normally covered my plate and didn't want anything else to eat for the rest of the day :)
Me + Christmas = Very Happy xxxxxxxxxxxx

I had a bit of a "naughty" day, although I didn't eat an awful lot, I did have some trifle and some Christmas cake. It was a bit of a picky day for me but I know I didn't drink enough fluids so that could be why, but it was definatly a "sweeter" day than normal and I think I may have had a mild dump as I went to bed - I felt sick, dizzy and hot but no-one to blame but myself lol xxx

I did fine. :) Tiny bowl of cornflakes for brekky, tiny portion of Christmas dinner and tiny portion of home-made NAS Christmas pud (made with Sweet Freedom) served with Elmlea light for lunch. A few nuts mid-afternoon and ONE dark chocolate cherry liqueur.
A glass of wine with luch and then plenty of water later.
In the evening, I had a tiny portion of cold roast turkey and cold roast beef with some pickles, and a tiny portion of SF home-made trifle. And later, a glass of cider.

I felt fine, not bloated or greedy or stuffed to bursting. It feels great not to have over-indulged to excess, though I do admit to having eaten a bit more than I would normally.
But that feels good. I don't feel at all deprived which I think is important, and I do feel like weight is moving in the right direction again. :D My clothes are feeling looser!

Much love to all
Grace xxx

I had a wonderful Christmas but made one boo-boo. On Christmas day had a few slices of bacon for breakfast, sirloin and brussells spouts for lunch and then came the boo-boo. I was cutting my hubby a slice of lemon meringue and I took a fairly big bite. Then came the inevitable dumping. Totally brought it on myself and deserved it and brought myself back into check.

Mine has been great. I had a small lunch, but had everything, not had pudding yet but am hoo.g to.try a tiny.bit. didn't have alcohol as I was driving but had one earlier and enjoyed it watered down with soda and left to go flat! Today we had a.mini.buffet so I had a cracker, cheese, chutney, tiny home made sausage roll, spoonful of trifle. I'm not going to deny myself anything that I can eat as I eat such tiny portions, but I've not been tempted by much really to be honest!

There's a Gateux here at work sat calling my name but I'm nibbling on the pickled onions instead :)

Well done! I LOVE pickled onions! Step away from the gateaux!
There's one in our fridge but it has a 'Grace is forbidden' sign hanging on it! :D

You're such a hero working. I used to work Christmas and New Year as a nurse/midwife and I must say I don't miss it AT ALL!

I had a wonderful Christmas but made one boo-boo. On Christmas day had a few slices of bacon for breakfast, sirloin and brussells spouts for lunch and then came the boo-boo. I was cutting my hubby a slice of lemon meringue and I took a fairly big bite. Then came the inevitable dumping. Totally brought it on myself and deserved it and brought myself back into check.

Boohoo. But kind of good news that you still dump?
Grace xxx

I had a good day and felt really proud of myself when I went to bed. I had a small xmas dinner but kept away from the 'naughties' and didn't even have a drink either. I felt proud cos it was my choice and I enjoyed being in control.
I am so close to moving from obese into the overweight bracket that I don't want to spoil it for anything
Hope you all enjoyed your day and if you did over indulge just get back on track as soon as you can
loads of love
Jo XX

I've had a great Christmas and boxing day foodwise, family wise and friendship wise. Haven't stuffed myself on anything or denied myself anything I've fancied. The only thing I've not had is alcohol as I have done all the driving so far. Here's a toast to all you wonderful supportive people. May 2011 bring you the best year yet.

Had a gd xmas, not been too naughty, had a little buffet today ate a few naughty thing but homemade a lot of stuff, like salsa to go wit my breadsticks etc.. ate loads n I mean like nearly 10 satsumas, but I think cuz I ate loads my bowels ain't lovin me!! Lol, but I've had a cold so needed extra vit c. Had a small xmas dinner n like many of u for once I wasn't bloated, pre op a few years ago I was sick every xmas night cuz I ate n ate n for once I wasn't. Tho did have to have a lie down xmas night, I had shortbread and went a lil dizzy, soon as I laid down in my freezi. Bedroom felt better after 10 mins. Xx

No alcohol either, I know I can now try it, wit it bein a yr since my op, and I did have a sip of my bfs vodka redbull. But did nowt for me so I'm now teetotal

Did OK quantity wise but ate too many sweet things and ended up with a sugar rush which kept me awake. All done though now and no damage.

M

Back