• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre op help re: portion sizes/spices

joannalouise

I've started my pre-op diet today and as I'm lactose intolerant I'm on a very low fat/restricted menu. However, it's not too specific when it comes to portion sizes - it says I can have a 'small portion of lean meat or fish' and 'one small potato', for example. What constitutes one small portion of meat? Are we talking a whole chicken breast fillet or smaller? Same question for potatoes!

Also, it doesn't say that I can liven things up with herbs and spices but I did today anyway because I figured they were relatively calorie/fat free anyway...am I right to do this or should I not be using spices at all?

Hi Jo, i can only tell you what my sheet said hun.
Meay/poultry = 3oz uncooked. I used the small salad potatoes and had two of those, my sheet was also abit vague regarding this. I used dry rubs and herbs to liven up my chicken and i lost 2 stone pre op and my liver had shrunk enough...hope this helps x

i was told 100g of meat. if i had a jacket potato no bigger than a fist. herbs and spices were free. hope that helps

Did you go to see a dietition when you went for an appointment. As it might be best to ring one of them to ask any questions you may have. If you really feel insecure about what portion sizes you should have, and if you can add other things to your meals they will have all the answers.

However, there may be someone who has done the same pre op diet as you that might come along and help out.

The people who have answered already must have helped you anyway.

Take care.
Rosebun x

I was told 60g of meat, about 2 small slices in reality. The portion size on the liver reduction diet sucks.

But is done for a reason, to make the surgery possible and get you used to small meals I am struggling with this with only a week to go.

Be strong and think of the future.

BigDave

Just to say I found this thread helpful and reassuring AS I have been on same diet for a week and have wondered. So far it seems I am doing OK

I'm lactose intolerant too, so on the low fat/low carb diet but I think I'm on a less-strict one as I can have up to three protein portions a day, and one portion is 100g (about the size of a pack of cards). I think spices and similar things should be fine, just watch the sodium content possibly :)

Re: potatoes, mine says 4 new potatoes, 2 old potatoes or a small baked potato (probably that you can hold in the palm of your hand).

Also, just another heads-up - don't know if you've seen the Lactofree range? Dairy products without the lactose - they do semi-skimmed milk and low fat yogurts which are lactose-free ;-)

Back