• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did you choose the best wls for you?

KaeKaysMom

Century Club
I had a hard time choosing between the lap band and gastric bypass. I wanted gastric bypass because of malabsorbtion (can't spell). I chose the lap band because it seemed less evasive.

What about you?

I just went with the opinion of my surgical team. Ended up going for a bypass but woke up with a sleeve and I couldn't be happier.

Price was a big factor, I couldn't afford a bypass and there was a lady at my surgeons office who lost 14 stones with her band so I think that gave me confidence it was possible.
It has been a lot harder than I expected but I have learnt over time what needs to be done to get the best out of my band...now I am happy to have no malabsorbtion and some scope to have adjustments in the future if I need them..something I couldn't count on with a bypass.

I chose the band as I was a volume eater with not as much weight to lose as some who have a bypass.

I am no longer a volume eater and Im 15lbs from goal!

I wanted the bypass because my weight was very high and the surgeon agreed with me that bypass would be best for me :D XX

I wanted a band in the beginningas I'm a single parent with no nearby family but my surgeon advised the bypass because of diabetes and less up keep then the band and the quiet hi rate of bands failing in his opinon

Cost was one of the reasons, but not that alone. Because of the blood pressure problems I had, I was worried if I had anything more drastic done that I would`nt wake from the anaesthetic. Although I have less weight to lose than many people, I felt the band would be a strong enough tool to help me stick with it, and maintain a healthy weight, so that eventually I would no longer need meds for my health.

Take care Love Kat x

Im pre op i had only really heard of the band, so when i went to see the surgeon he asked me what surgery i wanted and i said gastric band.
He then said i dont think the band will work for you because of your eating habits and weight, so he suggested a bypass or sleeve.
I am in good hands so what he says goes lol xxxx

I thought I wanted the band but it wasn't until I fully researched it and found this site that I realised that because I was a sweet eater the bypass was better suited to me.

If your problem is large meals then the band is more suited. I enjoyed chocolate and icecream and since having the bypass this has no longer been an option for me :)

5 years ago i had a band as i was a volume eater it suited me and i did loss alot of weight with it to cut a long story short i had it removed and replaced in 2008, thats now been removed and im 6 days post op bypass, i do wish now that instead of going band to band in 2008 that id gone band to bypass as i have done this time, mines a complicated story lol x

I wasn't given a choice...

I had the choice of a band or a bypass, but after doing lots of research & considering the type of eater I was, plus having several co-morbidities & being pre-diabetic, I decided the bypass would be more suitable for me.

I have a lot of weight to lose and so was considering a bypass, but after doing all my research and speaking to various people i thought that the sleeve would be the best thing for me, especially with my size.

It was a good choice for me, i couldnt be happier :D xx

Reactions: Bev
my surgeon discussed with me all my options and advised a sleeve for me i,m now 2 weeks post op and and after a 7 week pre opp diet also,, i am 6 stone lighter and love my sleeve lol which ever you choose its just a tool that you have to use to get the best out of it all the best what ever you decide
regards steve

j.u.s.t.l.i.z. said:
5 years ago i had a band as i was a volume eater it suited me and i did loss alot of weight with it to cut a long story short i had it removed and replaced in 2008, thats now been removed and im 6 days post op bypass, i do wish now that instead of going band to band in 2008 that id gone band to bypass as i have done this time, mines a complicated story lol x

Oh wow. I'm sorry to hear that. I'd love to hear more about this story.

I should have had a bypass but was sent to Leeds Nuffield and could have the op I really wanted

I wanted a DS because

1) More likelihood of diabetes resolution - though it took 11 months
2) Possibility of eating a more "normal" diet
3)weight loss greater
4) Regain less likely
5) Maladsorption greater - so I'm more likely to stay away from the foods that cause DS bowels!!

Am about 7 lbs form the magic BMI of 25 - so its worked far better than I thought

xx

angela can you tell me the info and differance on a ds, to a sleeve xx

I went with the advice from the consultant,as he listened to my eating habits and my weight I needed to lose,and medical issues...and the bypass was felt would be suited for me.

Back