• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How did you choose?

Zoobles

I have a bmi of 39.8, and I will be self-paying for whatever weight loss surgery I may have. I'm trying to decide between the Sleeve or Bypass. However, I have read so much info on pros, cons, procedures and side effects that I'm now going in circles!

I'd really appreciate some input from those further along than me. If you don't mind sharing - what did you choose, and why?

Thanks! :)

sophiapink100

I have a bmi of 39.8, and I will be self-paying for whatever weight loss surgery I may have. I'm trying to decide between the Sleeve or Bypass. However, I have read so much info on pros, cons, procedures and side effects that I'm now going in circles!

I'd really appreciate some input from those further along than me. If you don't mind sharing - what did you choose, and why?

Thanks! :)

I opted for the sleeve. I decided it was best for me as I always suffered from ibs and some food intolerance problems that the bypass was too much of a risk for me. With the bypass it carries things like dumping etc which I didn't want to add to my already existing list lol.

Hope that helps slightly :)

Butterfly_lady

I too self funded, I went to several providers that did free consultations, I spoke to the surgeons who asked me about my eating habits (You have to be totally honest) and out of the 5 I visited 4 said bypass was my best option, so thats what I went for :)

Mollydolly

I had a sleeve as I decided I didn't want to risk a more complex surgery than was necessary and I had a similar bmi to yours. I'm only 11 days post op and am feeling great, lost a stone since my op date and have had zero problems with vomiting trapped wind etc. and yes dumping sounds awful!

Happy to answer any questions you might have although I am pretty new to this too!

I self funded through Spire Group and they were amazing.

Cheers

MD

HRR32

Hi there, I had a very similar BMI - 39.9 and I also went private - it was suggested that I had a bypass but ended up having a sleeve as I felt a bypass was a bit too much for me in terms of possible complications etc. 7 months on I am really pleased with my sleeve have lost just over 5 stone. I have to lose another 19 pounds to be at my target weight so really glad I had the op. I would go for which ever you feel most comfortable having. Xx

Zoobles

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Your help is much appreciated! :)

I've been leaning more towards the sleeve, but I know that I'm a snacking sweet-toothed emotional eater and I'm wondering if I'd be tempted to pick at chocolate all day with a sleeve?!

HRR32

I was the same - I had a really sweet tooth - I used to eat meals to get to the desert! However strangely since having a sleeve I am not that interested in sweet foods and actually now don't like the taste of anything too sweet and I actually don't miss eating sweet foods and desserts. Xxx

purplemel75

I too self funded, I went to several providers that did free consultations, I spoke to the surgeons who asked me about my eating habits (You have to be totally honest) and out of the 5 I visited 4 said bypass was my best option, so thats what I went for :)

Hi butterfly_lady, I'm an emotional eater, can go all day with nothing then pick in the evening. I have insomnia which doesn't help as I find that when I'm alone I tend to 'sneak' food. Wish I was strong enough to resist, but I really don't have ANY willpower at all. Especially when it comes to McDonald's flurries.

I was leaning towards the sleeve but reading up, the RNY is meant to be the gold standard of bariatric surgeries but there seems to be good and bad for both. So confused, I just want to get on with it now and lose weight instantly lol xx

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using WLSurgery

sophiapink100

Hi butterfly_lady, I'm an emotional eater, can go all day with nothing then pick in the evening. I have insomnia which doesn't help as I find that when I'm alone I tend to 'sneak' food. Wish I was strong enough to resist, but I really don't have ANY willpower at all. Especially when it comes to McDonald's flurries.

I was leaning towards the sleeve but reading up, the RNY is meant to be the gold standard of bariatric surgeries but there seems to be good and bad for both. So confused, I just want to get on with it now and lose weight instantly lol xx

I don't think it matters what op you have, you will always have to face your food demons. There becomes a point when you can start picking again, picking whatever food you fancy so you really have to work on the emotional side as well.

What ever you decide on the journey will be exciting hun, it is amazing how much something like this changes your life. It saved mine x

Big Dave D

Hi...sleeves seem to be quite popular here. I started out thinking I wanted a band. I was nearly 23 stone with a BMI of 44.4 and I was 40 years old.

I did much more research, asked for help via my GP, got referred to the Imperial Weight Loss Centre at St Mary's, Paddington.

I went to the seminar and learned more about the 3 types of surgery available to me. Sleeve seemed a better option.

At my MDT, I met with my surgeon and discussed my options. He offered to do a RNY Bypass, and if during surgery it transpired they couldn't do it, he'd give me a sleeve instead. He said RNY is the most beneficial of the three procedures, if I'm prepared to live with dumping syndrome. He said I needed to decide on the day of surgery. I signed a consent form that listed my procedure as "RNY Gastric Bypass or Gastric Sleeve, subject to viability"

On Op day, I'd decided on RNY Bypass. That's what I had. I've not regretted it since. I figured I only wanted surgery once, I didn't want to have a sleeve then revision surgery to convert it to a bypass.

It's been a life-changing decision for me. Good luck with whatever you choose. xx

los in it

I had a bypass as after reading up on what type of eater I was it seems im a classic (or was) over eater ,eat when happy/sad/bored whenever !
I felt I needed something to "stop" me from cheating so the dumping I was prepared for as if I had the sleeve it looks like reading on here you can pretty much carry on as before just smaller portions and I didn't want to do that, thats why I opted for the bypass
5 months on I don't have a single regret the best thing ive ever done
good luck to you on whichever you decide to have ,you just make it work for you

purplemel75

Thank you so much for your invaluable help. I shall be hoping that the surgeon is in agreement with the bypass. They only offer sleeve gastrectomy and RNY in Swansea, so I think either way, I'll be grateful.

I know I have to work on the way I've been looking to food for comfort but I hope the psychologist can help with that.

I shall see what happens when I have my appointment with the nurse and surgeon in the next few months.

Zoobles

Thank you all for your help and advice. :) purplemel75 please let me know how you get on and what you decide. It sounds like we're pretty similar in eating habits, so I'm really interested to find out what they advise for you at your consultation :)

sophiapink100

Thank you so much for your invaluable help. I shall be hoping that the surgeon is in agreement with the bypass. They only offer sleeve gastrectomy and RNY in Swansea, so I think either way, I'll be grateful.

I know I have to work on the way I've been looking to food for comfort but I hope the psychologist can help with that.

I shall see what happens when I have my appointment with the nurse and surgeon in the next few months.

If only! Well actually not if only haha I'm sort of glad I can't eat the way I used to.

I had mild intolerances pre op which has become quite apparent post op. They have all multiplied so I now can no longer have anything with dairy in - no chocolate or cake for me! And I cannot tolerate spicy food, anything cooked in vegetable oil, anything in vinegar.

I had the sleeve, I presume it is just the way my tiny tummy has dealt with certain foods x

GlasgowJJ

ive opted for the sleeve as i had concerns over the bypass - im hoping ive made the right decision but from everything i have seen i think i have !

good luck when you get there xxx