• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why did you choose the sleeve?

AmericanMum

After found through the Tier 3 program and meeting with the surgery team yesterday, I am now waffling between the bypass and the sleeve.

What made you decide on the sleeve?

I just want the best outcome that I can get out of surgery and I'm now thoroughly confused as to which op I should have after 7 months of knowing what I wanted.

Do you find that you can't eat the bad stuff with the sleeve like people with the bypass? I need a physical reaction from my body when I eat bad things so that I learn the hard way to avoid the crap. Will I get that from a sleeve?

I am a pre-opper so I can't comment on the after math but I can tell you why I chose it over the bypass. I need not to eat as much, and to not have an appetite. With the sleeve you cannot physically (unless you force it) eat anyway near the amount you are used to. My consultant said that I was a little too young to consider the bypass (I'm 33), and that there are more complications with vitamin and nutrient absorption.

I, personally, thought that for me the bypass was a little too drastic, the band not enough, but the sleeve seemed to be a perfect fit. If I'm wrong I can opt to have the bypass.

It would be interesting to hear from post-oppers about their experience and why they went for the sleeve over anything else. x

Thanks for your input, Ohtobeslinky! All the best to you on your journey!

I've had the same thoughts about the sleeve. My only concern is that I want my body to give me a negative reaction to bad food choices so that I learn to just say no. That's the biggest reason why I'm still considering the bypass.

I'd like to hear from the sleevers as well! Come on! Don't be shy!

I chose the sleeve because I wanted a permanent solution. I didn't want the choice of having a band removed etc.

Regarding a reaction to eating rubbish, I do get occasionally dumping syndrome with my sleeve which makes you feel rotten. Extraordinary tired, dizzy and then the dreaded diarrhoea! I've had it after eating a handful of minstrels and from eating too much sweet stuff in a short amount of time. But admittedly not all sleevers get it.

I think anyone who has had success will endorse their procedure. There are so many successful banders, sleevers and by-passers on here, it really is your and your consultants decision.

Back