• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How do avoid dumping syndrome

vickylou

I thought last night was my last! Thought I was dead.

As far as I am aware I had late dumping syndrome, hot sweats, horendas squeezing pain in my punch I think ( just below my rib cage) couldn't catch my breath, racing heart, felt sick, was reaching ( which hurt) the pain was so bad I couldn't stand up, lay down or get comfortable for about an hour. This happened at 11.30pm and the only thing different I had yesterday was a fruit smoothie about 730pm could this be the problem?

What are the main things I need to look at on the packaging ie maximum amounts I can have and should avoid.

Gonna ring my provided to check with them if that's what it was?

Any ideas?

Feel ok now and slept the rest of the night curled into a ball.
Oh I had my surgery on Tuesday so am I domed already :(:(:(:(

Glad to hear that you are feeling much better now Vicky, it sounds like you had an awful experience. I'm afraid I haven't had personal experience as I seem not to dump but I think that some smoothies and fruit juices do have really high sugar content. I'm afraid I can't remember the recommended amounts so hopefully someone else will come along and advise you. From what I have read on here, sometimes things that make you dump at this stage will not have the same effect in a few weeks/months. This early out from your op I'd stick with milky drinks if you can (I used lactofree milk which I bought in the supermarket) as that way you are getting protein and calcium.

Hope someone comes along to help. Enjoy day and remember to rest, and sip, sip, sip;)

Sounds like you've had a rough time, i had a bit of that one night not the pain but dizzy hoty sweat feeling unwell and all i had was chuba chub lolly to suck, i acn do that now think because its early days for you bit of fresh fruit blended with custard (apple) may be least if you do it yourself you know whats in it did your dietician not give you a sheet to come home with? those first couple of months i had very little in the way of sweet things incase i got dumping syndrome. My husband sorted all my food out for the first couple of weeks until i got my head round it. We did blend up fresh fruit and veg every day with meat i found it most helpful to try and keep things separate not just all lumped in together then you feel like you having a normal meal just smaller portion. You'll get used to it we used to get snak pot munch bunch yoghurts low fat or sugar/fat free wot eva was on offer. speak to your dietician rang mine 3 times in first week due to cronic constipation but follow your do's n dont'sd on your sheet. My problem is i have been going through the menopause bout 9 years now and still have hot flushes so was hard to tell if was that or dumping s. good luck keep in touch x

Sounds like dumping to me, & the exactly the same thing happened to me at 1 week post op with a smoothie! It's the natural sugars in the fruit that cause you to dump! I'm nearly 13 weeks post op & fruit still makes me dump really bad! Hope you don't feel so bad today if it helps I also dumped last night :( good luck Clo x x

Hi Vikki my hospital recommend that for every 100g you have less than 5g fat and 5g sugar so far so good for me and I'm four wks post op hope this helps and good luck hunni xxx

shop brough smoothies are very high in sugars and natural sugars... if making at home... have half the smoothie with half milk... that helps.. and you get the extra protein from the milk aswell xxx

The ideal levels for maximum results & minimum risk of dumping 3g or less /100g of fat & 5g or less / 100g of fat or the green zone on the traffic light system. We can have things that are in the amber zone but this can cause some of us to dump or it slows the expected results a bit.

For smoothies I make my own with added protein powder or dried milk powder, I use a 1/4cup each of low fat natural or 0% Greek yoghurt, fresh or frozen fruit, & milk. Add a scoop of protein powder or dried milk powder then blitz with a hand blender. It will have a lot of natural sugar which is better than added sugar serve chilled & it's delicious. You can vary the flavours to suit your taste & with frozen fruit it can be cheaper than fresh depending on the season.

It was a 200 mls smoothie There was 0g of fat and 0g of saturated fat in the smoothie but 25.2g of carbohydrate of with sugar was also 25.2g which is a lot less than the slim fasts that I have been having which is 31g of sugar, so I am very confused and very scared to eat now :(

It may just have been accumulated sugars/fats over the day then or just one of those things that you'll never pin down. Try a food diary to see if it happens again what it was that may have triggered it. Sometimes we just can't explain it.

I Hope you feel a lot better now - that must have been terrible for you... try not to get to worried about the numbers of that brand, put it down to experience of that brand and amount of smoothie is not for you and stay away from them, l'm sure you will find lots of other things you can have. xx

Very confused on how much sugar I should avoid on the labels?

It's amazing how hospitals differ mine suggested the 5 g per 100 I have been ok on that I've not managed to find many yogurts within that range but Iceland own fat free ones are within always go to freezer at the end of my shopping now though reading all labels otherwise I'd take a defrosted mush home lol xx

Back