• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

how does the weight lost stop after a by pass

lol, imagine! However be prepared to also start feeling younger and want to relive your youth!!! Just go with the flow.

For most people the weight loss slows and stops around 12-24months post op, unless you work to keep it going. The malabsorption lessens over time as your body adapts and you gradually start to eat more as you adapt to your stomach post op. This isn't always at your target weight though, you might need to work to reach that, or reach it quickly and work to stop the weight loss, generally by increasing carbs and snacking.

For some people though, like me, you develop chronic malabsorption which means it is a life long battle to stop the weight loss, as your body doesn't adapt and you continue to absorb very little of what you eat. Early signs of this are reaching target quickly, having no stalls or gains, and sometimes passing target and reaching too low a BMI. It's estimated this affects 20% of bypass patients to some degree. Mine is quite severe, I've not met anyone else this bad. I have to aim for atleast 4000 cals a day to maintain.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

For most people the weight loss slows and stops around 12-24months post op, unless you work to keep it going. The malabsorption lessens over time as your body adapts and you gradually start to eat more as you adapt to your stomach post op. This isn't always at your target weight though, you might need to work to reach that, or reach it quickly and work to stop the weight loss, generally by increasing carbs and snacking.

For some people though, like me, you develop chronic malabsorption which means it is a life long battle to stop the weight loss, as your body doesn't adapt and you continue to absorb very little of what you eat. Early signs of this are reaching target quickly, having no stalls or gains, and sometimes passing target and reaching too low a BMI. It's estimated this affects 20% of bypass patients to some degree. Mine is quite severe, I've not met anyone else this bad. I have to aim for atleast 4000 cals a day to maintain.

crikey how on earth do you manage to eat 4000 cals per day it must be hard work xxxxxxxxx

liggielass said:
crikey how on earth do you manage to eat 4000 cals per day it must be hard work xxxxxxxxx

Yup it is. I graze constantly and eat a whole lot of junk food.

great question i was too slightly getting worried as i have now lost 4 and 1/2 stone since the begining of march the nurse said it does come off quickly but should slow down in its own time. well done everyone on your current weight loss all of you have done amazingly :) xx

Shelbel you are living every fat girls dream, only thing is i'm guessing it's not as much fun as we think xx

phatmomma said:
Shelbel you are living every fat girls dream, only thing is i'm guessing it's not as much fun as we think xx

Not always no! It can be a lot of pressure to eat, especially if I've lost a few pounds as the family start nagging. Plus if I get ill or go into hospital the weight falls off. Catching a cold can mean 7lbs goes, which takes months to get back. But equally, I didn't get to almost 21 stone without loving junk food! I would rather have it this way than a constant battle to prevent regain.

Wow, u look amazing, I hope I look half as good as u do, am currently over 30stone and can't wait to come down, am 5"11 am was worried the loss wouldn't stop, but hearing ppls stories I feel alot better about it xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back