• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How does your body stop losing weight when you are at goal?

SCOOBYDOOBYDOO

I was having a conversation with my 14 year old son earlier about my op and he askd a question that I couldn't quite answer.
He wants to know how, when at goal, you will eat enough to maintain your weight?
I mean, if the average woman needs around 2000 calories to maintain a healthy weight, will you be able to eat that much without eating lots of very high calorie foods or does something else happen?
Anyone know? I'm intrigued.
Thanks

good question

I describe it like this: When I was six stone heavier I needed more calories to just keep going. Now that I weigh less I naturally need less calories to survive. The calculation for this is Basic Metabolic Rate BMR Calculator For me, my BMR used to be 1786 when I weighed 245lbs which meant a required intake of 2143 calories just to stand still. Now my BMR is 1460 as I weigh 170lbs which means that I only need 1752 calories just to exist. My appetite has also increased six months after the bypass which means that I eat more food. I eat what I want and the amount is not far off what my friends eat.

I hope this helps.:)

Yep, Gilla's explanation is spot on. As time goes on we are gradually able to eat more, and as we get smaller we are burning less calories. Also the gut learns to compensate for the malabsorption as time goes on. In the early days we may only absorb 40-50% of the calories we consume and this will increase to more like 70-80%.

Hope that helps. x

Thanks girls.
I guessed it must be something like that but couldn't quite get my head round it!
I will give George his answer later when he's home!! Ha ha x

gr8 thread thankyou x

I was having a conversation with my 14 year old son earlier about my op and he askd a question that I couldn't quite answer.
He wants to know how, when at goal, you will eat enough to maintain your weight?
I mean, if the average woman needs around 2000 calories to maintain a healthy weight, will you be able to eat that much without eating lots of very high calorie foods or does something else happen?
Anyone know? I'm intrigued.
Thanks

so glad you posted this :)

I describe it like this: When I was six stone heavier I needed more calories to just keep going. Now that I weigh less I naturally need less calories to survive. The calculation for this is Basic Metabolic Rate BMR Calculator For me, my BMR used to be 1786 when I weighed 245lbs which meant a required intake of 2143 calories just to stand still. Now my BMR is 1460 as I weigh 170lbs which means that I only need 1752 calories just to exist. My appetite has also increased six months after the bypass which means that I eat more food. I eat what I want and the amount is not far off what my friends eat.

I hope this helps.:)

Very helpful - and explained really well - thanks :)

Back