• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long after bypass surgery for resuming exercise ?

Danielle <3

Hi guys and dolls, just a question about exercise and how long should you wait before going back to it, I am walking about everywhere but I was thinking start swimming then eventually back to the gym. 13 days post op and starting to notice my BINGO WINGS r feeling rather sorry for themselves :(

My surgeon said 8 weeks for cycling 12 for the gym. I had open surgery so not sure if that makes a difference.

Was told 2 weeks for walking, 4 to 8 weeks for anything more strenuous. I healed quickly and got the go ahead for swimming at 4 weeks.

Hi there I asked my gastric bypass team same question and I was told 4 weeks at least for swimming so the wounds are fully healed due to the bugs in pools. 2 weeks for gentle exercise so lvl one on the exercise bike which is all I ever do because of my knees. They said aerobic exercise low to middle impact at 6 weeks. I started aerobic exercise in the form of rhythm rocker at about 6 weeks I think. I am still careful with my tummy exercises I do the work out but didn't push it too hard to start with and my op was 21st May so I am now at about 8 weeks . I am only just increasing the intensity of my aerobic. I am also wary of the bingo arms flapping about as the weight is dropping. I don't do the intensity work out every day. I leave a couple of days between them. I do the housework on the none work out days so still active. I found ironing with vigor is good for the arms too. Husband thinks I am nuts when ironing before breakfast. I would give your provider a call as they often have good tips on which exercises to start with.
Good luck with your continued weightloss. You are doing fab.
hugs
Kate
x

Back to swimming/gym after 2 weeks, my staples came out after 10 days & had fully healed.
Think its a personal thing as to when to start exercise, everyone recovers at different times .
I spent far to long avoiding exercise & as soon as i felt ready i went for it.
good luck on your return to exercise

Being a lazy sod, about 5 years sounds good to me :D

Thanks for the advice 2 weeks post op and today I had my first shopping trip, I felt fine walking about and got my dad to carry my heavy bags. My husband has enjoyed me not going very far as I haven't spent much of his money, however today was a different story hahaha :D , I enjoyed the long walking, so I am going to ring my team and ask when I can take the next step, thanks for all ur advice much appreciated x

As im a horse rider, my surgeon told me 6 weeks, no riding. Honestly i don't see that happening as im fine now, but I will consult my team before doing anything.

Back