• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Exercise 4 weeks since bypass

Beluca

I am 4 weeks post bypass and am really keen to get back out in my bike. Pre op I was cycling every Monday. I just took my dog out for a long walk and did ok but very tired now.

My question is how long did you all wait before starting to exercise more heavily than just walking?

Most people begin to exercise once they get the all clear from their post op checks. Please take into account even though the scars may have healed , your insides take much longer to heal. xxx If in doubt check with your provider xx

Julie is dead right before you step up your exercise routine you must clear it with your GP. I was told in the early stages we need all the protein we can get in to heal our insides so if you're using that reduced intake to repair broken muscle fibres as a result of hard exercise you can affect your healing time. Add to that the hernia risks presented by surgery that can take 12 weeks to heal completely and the small but real risk of damage if you fall off your bike, and it might be best to step up the walking rather than getting on your bike for a few more weeks

We also get tired quickly early out so don't go too far before turning back for home. I rode a static bike from week eight and found that just fine but we are all different so see your GP x

That's really good feedback - thanks to you both.

You're right Karlos - I am worried more about falling off the bike rather than the stamina of being able to do a 12 mile ride. I think I will take your advice and wait until after my 8 week check and in the meantime do more walking.

I have the whole rest of my life to up my fitness - I am just getting a bit bored. Even though I'm fat, I've always been pretty active, so it's a challenge to be sat at home!

Back